New Maple found in seedlings

Milford, DE

I name this plant with my daughter in mind. I call it Acer Palmatum Jacus Potus. The name is a family name I gave her when she was very young, and you know how those names are, THEY STICK.

It has an odd leaf such as Acer Palmatum Hagoromo. The difference is this maple leafs out in a dark burgundy color and colors down to a salmon color. I am still evaluating this plant and this is the second plant that I was able to propagate.

Thumbnail by davesnursery
Walhalla, SC

Very nice...your description reminds me somewhat of beni fushigi in coloration. Nice to see we might have a red feather leaf on this side of the ocean...because I doubt we will see the selection shown on Yano's site any time soon.

I had a funky little plant in my batch last year that had tiny linearlobed type leaves with almost no petioles. I suppose it was not meant to be because I don't think it survived the winter.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008 10:50 PM

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Interesting! I hope you'll share its lighter color pics. I've not seen one that does that before.

Laura

Milford, DE

Laura

More pictures will follow as the plant progresses. The leaf really is very odd. It seems like there is one lobe of a leaf attached to each petiole and if you look very close to the leaf just above each petiole you will see very juvenile lobes almost non existent.

It seems for right now the way the inter-nodes are so close that it might be somewhat of a dwarf.

If I can get a better picture of the leaf, maybe on something white, you all can see what I mean.

Dave

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

beni fushigi starts the spring in a striking deep raspberry color - not the maroon this one is. Perhaps you are thinking of another tree Matt?

What an unusual leaf Dave. I'll look forward to another photo.

I cannot quite make out the leaf shape, but if you can put something under one leaf, that would help! It is very interesting.

Laura

Milford, DE

Here you go Laura a close up of the leaf

Dave

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That really is different Dave. How much fun.

WoW, that IS different.

Laura

Walhalla, SC

Yes this is true I was thinking more of the early summer foliage having an odd coloration with some of that salmon color.

Milford, DE

Ok all time for update pics on Acer Palmatum Jacus Potus. These pics were just taken.

Milford, DE

One more

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful foliage Dave. The colors are so pastel and the form is so different. Thanks for sharing.

Dave, you just let me know if you need a zone 7-8 test on that one, OK? [wink]

It really is so different and pretty. The shades of color are quite unique. It has a very fern-like appearance to the leaves.

Laura

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

And if you want to "test" the plant in zone 4a, I'm your man! (:o)

Actually, I do have an Acer palmatum Robinson's Red growing successfully here without any winter protection. The plant has seen -25°F without any damage. Beautiful red foliage that takes full sun without any damage, too.
Mike
tl³

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

wow! Very impressive looking

If you do think of testing zones - I'm in 6b-7a ;)

Milford, DE

Right now I am testing this in my greenhouse. It is on it's 4th year and has never been outdoors yet. The greenhouse has a 50% shade cloth covering it with 4 year plastic over the shade cloth. The plastic has been painted to add more shade. I am assuming the the shade equals approx. 75%. With this much shade the only thing I do not know is what is going to be the real colors in the sun, shade, or filtered light when this plant is tried outside. I would have to think that they will be inhanced. I am going to assume that the plant will need some time of protection from the sun during the day. The branches are very delicate with short internodes. Only have 3 for now so the going is very slow. The winters have temps as low as 15 degrees and the summer as high as 120 degrees. The only thing it does not receive is the winds that can top 50 miles an hour here in the winter.

It will be some time before this little beauty will be released, but I am happy to see that there might be some interest.

Dave

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow...Gorgeous...6a/6b here!! ^_^

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Zone 5 ( the new 6) with off shore winds from Lake Erie. Definitely need to test it here. ;>)

Guess you don't need to worry about interest, LOL! Now if the rest of us can have patience!

Laura

Dahlonega, GA

just hurry up and get some more. layer or whatever,i want one lol sally

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Dave,

I'm digging up this old thread because I am curious to hear about how this tree has developed for you over the last two years and to see if you've been happy with the popularity of the tree.

Dahlonega, GA

Yes, please update us . With pictures .

Milford, DE

I was at a maple gathering on May 15th and the plant was received with great enthusiasm. The gathering was by invitation and about 50 collectors had showed up. I have registered the maple with the maple society in England under the name of Acer palmatum 'Verkade's Jacus Potus'. The society put it in their newsletter (Autumn 2009 Vol. 19/3) with a description of the plant. I have grafted 44 this year and have 35 left after sales. The cost of the plant as of now is not for the faint of heart. I am reluctant to sell too many more because I want to use them in the production of the plant. The original plant is about the same size as the two year old grafts. I hope to give the original a rest for a while. I have a friend who has wintered out the plant and it did very well. I have sent this plant to an acquaintance of mine who shell remain nameless, unless he/she wants to chime in, to see how it will do in a climate other then the Northeast. All in all I am very happy with the way it colors up and continues to show colors all summer.

Thanks for the interest.

Dave

This message was edited Jun 2, 2010 6:54 AM

Dahlonega, GA

WOW , Dave , I'm so happy for you . It is beautiful .

Congrats, Dave...would love to see a new photo!

Milford, DE

The plant has been so butchered that the old pics. will look better then any new pics. It will take another year before the plant will be photogenic again.

Dave

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

This will go on my wish list for when my "rich uncle" dies..... ;o)

Dahlonega, GA

Gotcha , Dave . Patients .

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the update, Dave. I find the whole process of discovering new characteristics in a seedling and then propagating it into cultivation to be quite fascinating. And what a great way to honor someone by naming a cultivar after them!

Understand Dave...will *try* to be patient! :-)

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.