Hawaiian Woodrose

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

My Merremia Tuberosa at six years old now, last year yielded over 1100 dried flowers, this year about the same, still got five hundred from last year.

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Two

Thumbnail by edric
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

wow! beautiful. I can't even start it from a seed.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i get it to grow but the cold kills it even in a pot what to do to save it?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're only hardy to zone 9, if you want to keep it over the winter you'll have to bring it inside or put it in a greenhouse or something.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

my last one didnt even grow a tuber. so maybe it just aint happening here in Sc

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nor here.
Can this vine be propagated? I've tried twice,
the last go around was thick, thin, green, woody- some in high humid enviorment with a misting system. Used rooting hormone...no luck

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

RJ .. are you SURE you want one? Did you see the long shot picture of Edric's monster?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2904380

Edric that picture was taken 2 years ago? .. has your neighborhood survived? Is it possible to keep those things small? I have two seeds but im scared .. hold me.

X

This message was edited Mar 19, 2008 10:20 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Usha I too have failed with this one. I had a really nice plant until our old dog thought it was fun to play with it :o(

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's too late...I already have the monster. The sad thing is I only get the monster side of it, and no blooms...That's why I tried to do cuttings on it is because I tore half of it down. I couldn't believe how thick and heavy it gets.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

It is easy too contain them, but a little work, but I can tell you you will receive no second blooms, if the temp falls much bellow freezing, the flowering process is very lengthly, November through March, buy the same token, to much humidity and the buds fall off, and you lose everything, even in 9b fungicides are required at certain stages, too little humidity and all the buds will fall off. can be grown indoors on a porch, and pruned, will need the aid of a couple four bulb tube lights or better, that is if your intent, it would be beautiful though.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I noticed they needed alot of fungicide.
It's been trying to grow into the green house, perhaps I should let some of the vine in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.