Have: Bittersweet Vine for postage

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I have HARDWOOD CUTTINGS of Bittersweet Vine for postage (you send me a 2 lb. Priority stamp).

My vines have to be cut down within the next 3 weeks, since we have to take the fence down to build an addition on the driveway. I was hoping to offer softwood cuttings in the Spring but I won't have them available. Remember, these are hardwood cuttings and they are different to start than softwood cuttings. I think Dave had a post of his hardwood cuttings method for his unidentified bush somewhere here. If you're interested, give me a holler :)

Trish

Huron, TN

i would love some trish but i have never done plants in the mail how much for a 2 lb priority stamp thank you belinda

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Belinda, a 2-lb. stamp just went up to $3.95...our post office doesn't have them yet, so they sell me a combination of stamps to get enough postage.

Huron, TN

IVE HEARD OF MURFREESBORO TN IS THAT CLOSE TO MEMPHIS
THANKS FOR THE POSTAGE INFO

Here is the information for starting hardwood cutings for Bittersweet, so you can decide about getting the cuttings and if it's worth the postage for you. I am all out of the seeds, also.

Hardwood cuttings should be taken during winter when the plants have no foliage. Include at least two nodes in the 6 to 10-inch cuttings. Make the cuts squarely across the stem just below a node, then make a slant cut ½ to 1 inch above a node. The difference in cuts will aid in distinguishing between the top and base of the cuttings when planting them. Dip the basal or square cut end in rooting powder and plant them in a plastic flower pot filled with the perlite and peat potting mix. Water the mix, then enclose the pot in a sealed clear plastic bag. Place the pot outdoors on the north side next to the house and check periodically to see that the pot hasn't tipped over or dried out. Frozen condensation inside the sealed plastic bag is an indication that moisture is present. Add a handful of snow to the pot and reseal if the bag is dry. The cuttings will be rooted by May and producing leaves. Remove the plastic bag but leave the pot in the shade for another week before transplanting the rooted cuttings to a selected site.

Trish

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

This is our first visit on this web site. My husband
and I are just starting to root cuttings. Last year we
rooted some camelia and viburnum with good results. We
would like to try your bittersweet. Jen

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, I would love to have some bittersweet starts. Send me your mailing address and I'll get the postage out to you Monday. Thanks for the info on starting them also.
Jackie

Forest City, NC(Zone 7a)

I would love to have as many cuttins as I could get. if you still have any left. Lrt me know Thanxs Diana

Negaunee, MI(Zone 3b)

I would like to try this. let me know where to send the stamp please. Susie_Q

Montevideo, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi would you happen to have any cuttings left?
Let me know .
Thank you,
Jen

Paso Robles, CA

Good Morning,

I, too, would love to have some of your bittersweet cuttings. Please send me your address for my priority SASE.
THANKS, Marilyn
"morninglory"

Thanks everyone for the interest in the Bittersweet vine. Many Priority boxes of hardwood cuttings have already been mailed and I'm still waiting on a few stamps which need to get here by March 10th (hint..hint). Fortunately, all of the Bittersweet vines have found new homes :)
Trish

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

A word of caution. Just came across this thread and thought you folks would like to know; bittersweet is a very invasive vine. We bought an old homestead here in NH where we built our new house and these vines are everywhere! There are four old apple trees which were nearly choked out with bittersweet vines covering the entire trees, we managed to save three but lost the fourth. We have to continually mow around them to control growth of these vines but they still keep sending out shoots. So be carefull, it sends out loooong roots and another vine will sprout every few feet and climb everything in it's path.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.