what hydrangea would work for me in NE Ohio z5?

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

I would love a pretty blue, pink or red hydrangea and want to put it on my want list for a cutting, but I am not sure which one I should ask for. Does anyone know which one would work for me? I would really like to try one.
Thank you,
Kathy

Thumbnail by guspuppy
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

To get the colors you want, you'll have to go with Hydrangea macrophylla, and in your climate you'll have the best luck with one of the reblooming types that blooms on both old and new wood. There's an Endless Summer series (the original 'Endless Summer' has disappointed people, but there are newer ones in that series that I think are better). And there's also some called Forever and Ever (can't remember if this is just one cultivar or if it's a series too) They tend to have names like endless, forever, etc. Unfortunately the rebloomers are sort of a minority in the world of hydrangeas so you won't have quite the selection you would otherwise. And the majority of them are patented, and it's technically illegal for someone to send you a cutting of one that's patented.

If you want to go with a non-reblooming type, then you'll need to protect it over the winter so that the buds don't freeze off (many people build a wire cage around it and fill with leaves in the fall). These are definitely more effort, but you get a wider selection and probably a few more un-patented options (although some of them are patented as well).

As far as flower color, if your garden soil is on the acidic side then your flowers will be blue and if your soil is alkaline then the flowers will be on the pink side (or sometimes red depending on the cultivar). Even if you buy a cultivar that has blue in the name ('Nikko Blue' is a popular one) if you have alkaline soil it'll wind up being pink rather than blue unless you amend your soil to make it acidic.

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for your help!! Now I know what to look for, even if I am buying it.
Kathy

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm in your zone, and my Endless Summer survived one season and looked lovely. It was about 18" tall by the end of the summer and bloomed quite well for its first year. But now I have to wait and agonize and see if it made it through the winter. It's in a protected location so I'm hoping that it survived even though I didn't do anything special to over-winter it.

I'm looking into the paniculata hydrangeas this year. I believe they bloom on both old and new growth and should be hardy in zone 5. Limelight is on my shopping list. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49376/

Since you like the pinks, you might also look into Pinky Winky. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161849/

I'm far from an expert in hydrangeas. Just thought I'd share some of my own research and things I'm considering for the same zone. Whatever plants you end up getting, be sure to share the results with everyone! :)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Kathy, I live up near L. Erie so you are south-west of me. I have had good luck with Forever Pink. I did wrap it in leaves and burlap for the winter the fall before this picture was taken, it had the most blooms last year.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you, yours is gorgeous!!
Kathy

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Dirr's new introduction 'Lady In Red' is supposed to be hardy to zone 5. Mine looks good, but it is still a little early to be certain I'll get flowers. Also try Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Deckle' . This is smaller and a slow grower but also fairly hardy. As ercane3 mentiond there is the Forever and Ever series. I have the 'Double Pink' and it is stunning. It blooms on new wood. Definitely keep this one out of the afternoon sun. All the hydrangeas here appreciate an annual banding of superphosphate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.