My Cast Iron Plant has done something Amazing....

Raleigh, NC

Check out the pic--I had no idea they bloomed....found this when I dug up the plant to relocate it--any experts out there seen this before? Quite pretty, and totally underground.....

Thumbnail by yotedog
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, that is very interesting. There is a photo in the plant files of the same thing. Weird that it blooms underground.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/135303/

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

well, I'll be...

Raleigh, NC

Hey, Vossner, I can tell you're in Texas (my home state, so I'm allowed to poke fun...). If you were my granny in Texas, you might have also said, "...well, I'll swaneeeeeeee........!".

But, honestly, even though I see now that it is not that uncommon, apparently, for them to flower--who knew??? Just the time you think you know something about gardening, and then you make a discovery like this....Keeps you humble...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree. Who would have thought that anything grows a real flower underground. And how amazing that you dug up that patch just as it was flowering. Gardening does keep you humble if you let it teach you.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've had this happen with my houseplants, they flower at about soil level. Pretty amazing looking flowers.

Nice photo! You should add it to the Plant Files.

Raleigh, NC

Thanks, Kniphofia, I would add it, but there are several other similar photos. Guess my plant isn't the only one to flower, huh? But I still think its pretty special.....

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

This is so cool, isn't it? I work p/t at a garden center & just got to pot up about 75 aspidistras-I got to see a couple of these. The plants are not really exciting, but anything that will thrive in dry shade is interesting, as far as I'm concerned, & they had really good roots (I came home w/ a few)....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.