Transitioning Plants to the Greenhouse

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All:

Now that my greenhouse is up. I'd like to know th best way to move my tomato plants there. I'm more concerned about sunscald than temperatures at night.

Any advice?

BB

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

if its treated grhouse plastic, the plants won't get sunburned.

Johns Island, SC

That's been my experience too, BronxBoy. The UV treatment applied to the plastic/polycarbonate somehow ameliorates the suns rays so that no sunburn occurs. But I did have the reverse problem moving things into the GH last fall. We had an unexpected freeze forecast here last November, so I spent hours moving all my citrus and other tender tropicals into the GH. Got lazy, and didn't move them back out. Total leaf drop on virtually ALL the citrus trees! Too qiuck and too radical a change. Helichonia threw a hissy fit and died to the ground. But now I'm growing sun-loving tropicals (Cestrum nocturnum, various Allamanda, Jasmine, Clerodendrum ugadense, Bouvardia longiflora, etc.,) and shade-loving tropicals like Impatiens niemniemensis, Aeschynanthes, Columnea, etc side-by-side on the sunny benches, and they all seem equally happy. And growing well. Go figure! Suspect as March marches into April and April into May, the happy coexistence will end...

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

It is treated UV plastic

Thanks
BB

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of my grooved seedling tray , All are ready to be transplanted. There are about 35 varieties or different sdlgs. in it. Have now transplanted the stocks, T & M S. Tudor Tapestry, 30 of those, into what I call normal 6 pacs, meaning they are not the deep type. I try to trans. the larger, or hardier types first. Have also been trans. my tomato sdlgs. Just about finished with those. Some into 4 x 4 x6" deep and rest into deep 6 pacs. Hard on my back, haven't figured out the right position!!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree you shouldn't have any problems. If the sun is blazing, I sometimes start with a lower shelf or one on the shadier side for a day or two then move them up or over just to feel better they are not in the direct light right away.

This time of year I heat every night and on overcast days.

Donna, I find that a makeshift table or shelf about 6" higher than the kitchen sink is perfect, about the height of your ribs. It keeps you from slumping while working with the seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.