Coleus Chatters thru Easter....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/822312/

This Thursday, Spring will have Sprung! Here's a picture of SongBird, just because I feel like singing and dancing! Spring is in the air... can you feel it? Just in case you can't... here's a little song for you. BTW, if you don't like my singing... you can just turn your volume down! LOL C'mon, let's dance & sing along....

Spring is in the air
The flowers start to bloom
The blossoms on the trees
Fill the air with sweet perfume

Spring is in the air
Spring is everywhere
It's growing in the trees
It's the flowers and the bees

Spring is in the air
I know it's very near
It warms me to the heart
It just fills the atmosphere

Spring is in the air
Spring is everywhere
It's growing in the trees
It's the flowers and the bees

Spring is in the air
Spring is everywhere

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

After that, in honor of St Patrick's Day... we should all dance a jig! Here ya go....

There's a tear in your eye,
And I'm wondering why,
For it never should be there at all.
With such pow'r in your smile,
Sure a stone you'd beguile,
So there's never a teardrop should fall.
When your sweet lilting laughter's
Like some fairy song,
And your eyes twinkle bright as can be;
You should laugh all the while
And all other times smile,
And now, smile a smile for me.

When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.

For your smile is a part
Of the love in your heart,
And it makes even sunshine more bright.
Like the linnet's sweet song,
Crooning all the day long,
Comes your laughter and light.
For the springtime of life
Is the sweetest of all
There is ne'er a real care or regret;
And while springtime is ours
Throughout all of youth's hours,
Let us smile each chance we get.

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hehehe,

my husband was surprised and annoyed with me that i didn't know which date was st. patrick's day. i had to explain that filipinos, especially 1st generation (which i am- came to the US when i was little) tended not to know these things.

talk about a cultural divide.

but i do love those little irish potato candies!!!

happy st. pats!

joy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Joy, I'm guessing you're getting ready for that little bundle of joy? Oh how fun...

I'm stumped! What the heck is a little irish potato candy??? I've been sitting here staring at this screen for about 3 minutes now thinking I would soon figure it out, but I just can't! LOL

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Brinda... I don't know what an Irish Potato candy is either, but sitting there staring at the computer cracked me up! That is sooo me.. LOL

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Shame Shame ladies, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Potato-Candy/Detail.aspx

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I have to admit I had to google and Dear Greatgrammie was Irish..LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL ZZ~!

Hmmm Pheadra, what the heck did they use them for? I don't mean to sound like a smartypants, but I'm trying to figure out why you would make candy that looked like a tater???? Was this only done on St Patty's Day?

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Brinda, Potatoes are(where) a main staple in most irish homes,I remember that my grandmother had pototoes in everything and at every meal, She had a cake receipe that was out of this world. I wish I had it...

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

OH I love potatoes of any kind, but I have to be honest, I've never heard of the Potato candy! I'm going to have to try it one day....
Can you believe Easter is only 6 day after St Patricks day this year???? Yipes...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes Pheadra, potatoes were a main staple while I was growing up and still are! (I'd eat them at every meal without a problem) But I'm just trying to figure out why you'd want a candy that looked like a potato? LOL

Mary, we had a big discussion this past week about why Easter was so early this year. I had to google 'how Easter is determined' and it is always the first Sunday after the first full moon.... after the vernal equinox. Make sense?????

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

ahhhhh.....it's that darn vernal equinox again.....lol....

I guess I can stop blaming Hallmark....

Pearl River, LA

Good morning everyone.... I just popped in to show you some pics to brighten your day and let you know Spring is definitely here in Pearl River. This is my deck of winter annuals still doing there thing now at peak. They will soon melt with the heat and most of them will be replaced. Pics were taken this morning. Camera date is set wrong. Have a great day everyone. PP is gone to the DR. with Sandy and I have a minute alone to have me time. He is doing well. Brin I hope these make you smile and know it is just around the corner for you too....shirleyt Coleus will be put in as soon as the nights warm a little more...

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's amazing how much you have done in just a short time, Shirley. Good Goin'.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, just beautiful, Shirley. : )

What program do you use to clump all your picture together like that?
~Lucy

Pearl River, LA

Hap these were put in for Christmas and have been blooming all winter. They are winter annuals that our garden friend Paul picked for us. They are reaching there peak now but we have enjoyed them all season. Here is a pic of me changing things out in Nov.. Boy do I hate to do that but Sandy who is the real gardner around here says it is a must do because our seasons overlap. shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

I use Picasa2 It is a free google program that can be downloaded. It organizes and imports pictures from your camera, scans other programs for you. I love it . shirleyt

Thanks, Shirley, I'll look into Picasa2. Love your deck, and yard. : )
~Lucy

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

wow. irish potato candy... they're so cute... and addictive. until you eat enough at one sitting to make yourself ill. i've done that before...

joy

Stockholm, Sweden

Shirleyt,
oh - what a beautiful photo of a happy gardener (you!) on a sunny summer day. I needed to see this - THANK YOU!

Alice

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Shirley sure wish I had some of that green around here. Lovely deck and planters.
Raining here and back to painting the trim.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Off again to take my DD baby back.....Verdell...the 9+ Affenpincher....He's such a love and it's bad that he has to go back.

No postings will be made while in Chicago.,...Have to keep up with the whirl-wind.....

Love you all

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Have a great trip Hap!!! Sneak a few coleus while you're there too! LOL

Oh Shirley, you sweet thing! It's so nice to see you again and your winter gardens are so pretty. You are so lucky that you get to look at blooms all year long. I hope PP had a good visit at the doctor and I do hope you're feeling so much better. What does Sandy have planned for the gardens this year?

Hey Ted... how was that rain? Wheeewwwww... I thought it would never end here. We got a little over 2" and the news said that you got about 5". Did you have to get the boat out?

My stupid internet has been out most of the day and it drives me crazy. I can't understand how it goes out when it rains if we have cable. What sense does that make? LOL

Hurry back, Hap. But, have a good time while you're there. : ) ~Lucy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, we're gonna see Happy at Molly's in just about 10 days.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yup, you sure are..... Can't wait.

Florence, AL

Morning ya'll, so excited about Thursday, 20th, can't wait. That's also my sisters BD.
Haven't been on a few days and trying to catch up with all my emails and read these forums.
It's raining here today, so I guess I better catch up on my housework.

Pam

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone!!!

Pam? Housework? Heck, that can wait until winter!

I too am so excited that tomorrow marks the first day of spring. Finally!!! Yes, finally it is here. That makes me so very happy and all I want to do is dance. I've been puttering around with all my little babies this morning. I know my DH thinks that I'm crazy as I get up way before he does and look at each little plant... and yes, I do talk & sing to them. The only thing better will be when I can to that outside!

Sidney, you have a big RU at Molly's? That sounds like so much fun. I can only imagine you & Hap together. Lucy... you might need to intervene and keep them in check. Don't let them get too out of control! LOL

Well... I'm off to do something today. Not sure what it's going to be yet, but I bet I do something that involves plants. Braden is out on spring break this week and he's wanting to go bowling. Hmmm...they don't have plants inside that bowling alley, wonder what the boy is thinkin?

Brinda, I probably won't get a word in edgewise with those 2. I have met Sidney, but not Hap, yet. I think I almost know her tho, cause I read everything she posts. lol : )

One lives in the north part of the state, and the other in the south. I live right in the middle, so this doesn't happen very often. It's gonna be fun, tho. Can't wait. : )
~Lucy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Well, don't forget about us lonely people over here in the Midwest... we'll need pics!

Ok, if I don't forget my camera. lol : )

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too.
;)

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

Shirley,

I love the photos of your plants! Thank you for sharing them. I too use picasa2 and LOVE it!

What is the name of the plant in the upper left corner? It looks similar to one I have, that I've been trying to ID.........

Spring is just 6 hours away! whoo hoo! :oD

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Moan... 49 year old fat ladies should not bowl!!!!!

Hi Joy!~~~~

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

lol! those 8 lb bowling balls way a TON after a few frames huh?! Been there, done that... wont be doing it again anytime soon.The problem with aging is, we forget why we dont do it anymore...we do it again, and immediately remember why we dont do that anymore...vicious cycle! LOL!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Mornin' everyone!

Mary... are you still doing pond repairs? It's been awhile since we've seen you.

angl... I used to bowl and I guess I thought I could just go out and do the same as I did 10 years ago. What a mistake that was. After the third game I was ready to quit. I should have quit earlier but my son would have thought I was a wuss! And I'm not sure how they size their shoes but I think I had my size 7 feet crammed into a size 5. Yikes... I should have changed them out but I kept thinking... Oh we won't be here that long! What a mistake! LOL

What kind of plans does everyone have for Easter weekend? We normally go to Braden's Nana & Papa's house for Easter and she makes a huge meal that is just like her Christmas meal. Yummy! (Oh, did I mention that she is the best cook in the world? LOL) Unfortunately she has pneumonia and isn't feeling well at all so we won't be eating her luscious food. I did think about cooking here but after much thought, I decided that people probably wouldn't happy if they had dirt mixed in with their dinner. Way too many plants in the kitchen to have to move around and no other place to put them right now. So, I'm getting out easy as we've decided to go out to eat. Yippee!!! That will leave more time to work in the yard and hunt Easter eggs with Xander.

Well, I'm on my way to the kitchen to play with all my babies. I've had an outbreak of fungus gnats and they are driving me crazy. I did put out a small dish of beer for them. LOL Hope they liked it!!!

Love to all...

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have emerged from my winter cave!
I spent the day outside trimming a few trees.. helping to finish off the chicken coop, still too cold to paint though..
He really shouldn't have given me those "power" tools, oh how I over cut some things.. one of those if it comes back it was meant to be.

Anyway.. just drooling over my garden space I cleaned out last fall.. this will be my first year with coleus.. so.. Its still too cold to work the soil.. but I can look at it!

I did want to say, I do enjoy the pictures you guys post.. they are so colorful and gives me a chance to see what the plant really looks like, not the doctored magazine sale page.

Fran

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

here's a container of coleus with million bells that reseeded themselves...

Thumbnail by eskinola
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Fran! Welcome Home!!! So what about chickens? Did you decide what you're getting? Are you still planning on getting the chickens that lay the Easter eggs? LOL That makes me snicker! I have visions of coleus in all your gardens!

Joy! That's too cool... I've only had one coleus come up from seed and it looked really ugly! A blahhhhh color of army green. Puke!

Well, I am still sore. I just can't believe it. I never imagined that bowling three games would make me so sore. I really feel like I've worked in the yard all day, but I haven't! Maybe I should tomorrow and I won't have to go through all that soreness. LOL

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, brinda.. we ordered dark brown layers, light brown, green/blue have the spectrum
And a few silkies for bugs in the gardens and cuteness.

The "trees" I was cutting today were scrub mulberries.. if you don't get them while their young they get out of comtrol and you'll never get them out. taproots to china!

I do invision a sea of reds/greens/golds and all the specrums of the coleus.. Any idea of the amounts I will be looking at for a 30x4 foot stretch of garden.. great morning sun... good light all day but no direct afternoon sun.. just light. No shade... well maybe late late afternoon iyt finally shades.. but I wouldn't even call it part shade just a bright spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.