can you ID this for me, pls

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

it has variegated green/white leaves, buds are pinkish, but flowers are white. see below

Thumbnail by vossner

here is bloom

Thumbnail by vossner
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Given the appearance and the bloom time, I'd guess Jasminum polyanthum, although I've never seen a variegated one (never looked for one either--its smell has always been too sweet & overpowering for my taste) Here are pics of the non-variegated version http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1639/

I love the heady fragrances. I would have night blooming cestrum and the like planted all over my yard if family wouldn't vigorously veto it.

Yes, I think it is the var. pink jasmine. thanks for your help.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nery - "SOME" folks have all the luck!!! I'd love to fine a mystery jasmine lurking in my yard!!! Although with such a mild winter...my Carolina Jasmine didn't die back....the night blooming one has been residing in my bathroom (LOL) and I just picked up another Maid of Orleans since that nasty wind storm descimated my other one last summer (sniffle, sniffle). Good scent on those you have in the pic?

you know, I didn't think to smell it. will report back to you lata.

The caroline jasmines are in all their glory here. For some reason this is one plant that several of my neighbors have. Kinda unusual since none of them are really gardeners, so it seems odd to me. And I don't grow it!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I love most strong fragrances...I love Cestrum nocturnum for example. But for some reason this particular jasmine has always bothered me, there's something about the smell that I just don't like and it's SO strong you can smell it probably from a mile away!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Now ya'll have me drooling over this thread again: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/751564/
Is Tops the only place that sells most of the Jasmines?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've found some sorts of jasmine at Logees & Kartuz for sure, probably a few other places as well.

when I did a google I found one one var. jasmine on ebay for $12.99 or so. But with shipping, I would encourage you to try hard to find it locally. It's not the easiest to get but I don't think it's a "holy grail" type plant.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I worry after hearing so many of them being mis-ID'd...on ebay as well as Wally World

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
the J.polyanthum variegated one has been showing up in our nurseries here in AZ.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Vossner ..how are ya?

That clematis you gave me is growing well, I'm hoping to see blooms in a month or so!

hello handsome man!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy Nery - got THAT right!! Start our very own DG's GQ magazine!!

BTW, I did sniff the flower and oh my! it is strong. I have it on a big trellis and when that thing fills out you'll be able to smell it clear out to the entrance of my subdivision. Hubby is not gonna like that smell...like a 10 yr old bottle of perfume.

And Randy, glad to hear your vine is doing great. My fireman's cap is doing great too. I'll have to post a pic

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

UGH - strong scent eh? Now I might NEED it after all.... gracious!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL DG GQ that's pretty good,

I have some of the jasmine too.. it's nice.

Looks like I'm going to get quite a bloom on the firemans cap this year. It sure looks scruffy in the winter...did yours?

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

OK, OK - Now you hafta 'splain - I looked up fireman's cap in plant files - no go, so . . . what is a fireman's cap? (Plant - not head gear!) Samantha

here ya go

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38374/

After I got my beautiful FC, I started noticing it around me. Nursery Enchanted Forest has a huge one! I put mine in a place where it can only grow about to 6 ft. I hope that I can simply prune it and keep it that particular spot. Mine lost its leaves but it has a nice little flush right now.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Everybody has some but me *pouting* - ok Nery...if you find any would ya give me a hollar!?!?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is a very polite climber.

I was thrilled to see my pandora vine bloomed this week.

are you talking about FC? will that make it in your area?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

nope...still stuck on the jasmine...LOL

Oh, OK. I'm still on the hunt for this vine and others. I saw on the website that Zone9 tropicals may carry it and Mr. Randy is well connected w/ that guy. I am looking for it closer to my home but Zone9 is my plan B.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have another small tree if you want it..actually I think I've seen a couple of them around. I don't think they're much past a foot tall. They're hardy little buggers..I thought they had croaked, but they seemed to come back.

Which vine are you looking for?

randy, we are talking about the vine shown on my very first posting, var. pink jasmine. and I'm OK w/ my FC if you were talking to me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay. that's what I thought.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

The pink jasmine is very easy to root from cuttings. My DH brought a piece back for me from the middle east. He thought it smelled so nice and that I might like it. I had no trouble at all getting it to root. Just dipped it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a pot. This was in December and now it has lots of new growth.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Wow - Thanks, vossner for the link - that's a pretty amazing looking bloom on that plant, & I love that hummers like it!
Samantha

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I'm cutting dysfunctional...hard wood cuttngs and I can't seem to get on the same page when it comes to rooting. I say rooting...they say rotting...it's very sad...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Now Chantell, Repeat after me
When at first we don't succeed. Try, try again! LOL

You do get better after while.
Try mixing some hydrogen peroxide next time in the water. I have some forumulas in my blog, but generally a capful to a gallon of water- reguler hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store. it delivers need oxygen. also seaweed extract, and rooting hormone.

The blog is rather lengthy, it's a collection of gardeners tips and tricks. The peroxide section is near the bottom
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1923/

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My new mantra will be akin to the Little Engine that Could (showin' my age here, I'm sure) "I think I can....I think I can...." I think I can go read Randy's blog and try to educate myself finally!!! Da-gone-it...I rooted Plumie cuttings...I'm not afraid of little ole jasmine...nope not me....

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Chantell, The best rooting hormone I have found is Dip n grow. It is a liquid and seems to work much better than the powders.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, me too... and that's exactly what you do..dip and grow!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm - note to self: go ISO of "Dip n grow"....doesn't that sound like that yummy candy we ate when we were young? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.