Just Lurking - Like a bump on a Vanda

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Elaine,
my orchids have seen quite a decline over the summer months when they are subject to daily rains. They don't like it and many have rotted on me. I'm learning as I go along. I thought water was good for orchids but they really need to be dry between waterings. In the summer they never get that chance and will eventually die.

I built myself an orchid shade house and just finished a mysting system which goes off every three hours for 5 minutes. This keeps the leafs moist but doesn't soak the roots. They only get watered once a week. I'm going to get a solid tarp of some kind for when the rains come and then water manually as now. I hope that will help with the survival rate in the outdoor environment I have them in.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fred, your set up looks great!! And look at all the room you still have there!!

I grow inside over the Winter and around the middle of May I start moving my Orchids into a protected area outside for the Summer. But this is NJ and the amount of rain is fine around here. I water by hand in-between rain showers with collected rainwater.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fred- Do you have electricity out there? Is there any way to install a fan of some type?

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Sure I have electricity. You mean a fan to dry the orchids between rain showers in the summer? Would that work?

fred

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I guess RUK os really Ursula, is that right? I have filled up some more holes but sill have room on the other side of the staircase. Last year it was all full but then I added the top for the misting system and could hang plants up there.

Tonight I'm going to join the Naples Orchid Society and will attend my first meeting there. The program is about repotting orchids - a subject I need to learn about. I also hope to ask lots of private questions and maybe coaxs somebody to come visit me and give me some advice. Lots to learn before I go.

Fred

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fred- I just know they need circulation, but not a direct draft. Does that make sense??? I hope the meeting goes well! Curious, I was thinking about joining too. I have a couple dozen orchids & they all survive on luck & an occassional fertilizing.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Terri,
I'll let you know what it's like.
Fred
PS my orchids are outside and there is always some circulation there. I think fans are appropriate in closed spaces. On the outside you just have to watch the sun and the rain.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

And three weeks later.....Very cool!

Thumbnail by terichris
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Happy root!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Just in time to be a bird perch!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

It is peculiar is it not?

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Nope. C'est normal for vandas and ascocendas to have big fat roots emerge near the base.

"Some bump!" said Charlotte

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.