Winter aconite?

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

While waiting (not so patiently) for "friends" to pop through the ground, I started going through pictures of last year's spring. I always called this winter aconite, but couldn't find a similar picture in the plant files. Can anyone id from my picture? Thanks to all of you for the great photos of beginning spring. I'm new to DG and it was wonderful to see others as eagerly looking for spring as I am!

Thumbnail by Gardenfrances
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Found this in Plantfiles. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/760/ Hopes this helps you identify your plant. Welcome to DG and the Northeast forum. Spring can't get here soon enough for me either. :)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Gardenfrances, can't help you on the picture but wanted to Welcome you to DG and the Northeast forum!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Welcome!

Winter aconite (Eranthis hyemalis), it is. Normally planted as a winter bulb, it gets about 5 inches or so tall, and spreads pretty good.

Very cheery looking after a long winter.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Welcome GF, and welcome Spring! Well almost, it's snowing again right now. I walked around yesterday, and saw a couple leaves poking thru where the snow had melted.

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, Gardenfrances, I am right up the road from you and my neighbor has the same thing in her garden and she also calls it winter aconite.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome Frances!

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, all, for your welcome and help! What a thrill to wake up this am and have replies and suggestions. Chatting with other gardeners is right up there with being outside!
I checked the plant files again, and the Eranthis hyemalis pic that they showed still doesn't seem like a match to me. The flower on mine has 5 petals and the Eranthis hyemalis has 6. Also, mine doesn't have obvious sepals. Any other suggestions? (Since I couldn't be outside I decided to work on my garden journal. Checking out everyone elses has been such fun)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Good point, Frances. Try the Plant ID forum. Someone will know.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome Frances (one of my favorite girl names, BTW)! xxx, Carrie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Frances, I may be wrong about it being the aconite, as it has 5 petals instead of 6, but it is definitely in the same ranunculus (buttercups) family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttercup

It will be interesting to find out what it is.

If you post it over on plant ID, and get an answer, please let us know.

And don't be a stranger here.

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm still new at figuring out where to reply to what and getting my "threads" crossed...lol I posted the solving on the northeast site instead of keeping it here! It was id'ed successfully as Anemone ranunculoides. I thought that it was interesting that the Latin species name (ranunculoides) reflects its similarity with the ranunculus family! Regarding being a stranger here - I won't be. I look forward to all the pics, info, and conversations between other outdoor lovers! Thanks for the welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.