Salvia Glabrescens

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

The salvia glabrescens are now starring the white one and purple one are flowering and pink is in bud, wont be long, these japanese natives have really adapted to the tropics and dont mind the humidity, Very adaptabl

Thumbnail by annette68

The second of the trio.

Salvia glabrescens purple

Thumbnail by annette68
London, United Kingdom

Beautiful flowers. I wish they would adapt to the British climate!!!

Very nice ones, Annette! Did you grow them from seeds?

Joseph

Yes I did Joseph:)

That's cool, Annette. I collected some seeds from my S. glabrescens plants last autumn and wondered if they would be viable. I will give them a try! Did your seeds germinate without any special treatment?

Yes they germinated without any special treatment. They took close to 2 weeks to germinate though, so you have to be patient. The pink glabrescens is in bud at the moment and another one that is supposed to be pink is just getting bigger and bigger, when it is ready I will know if this is pink as well.

Happy Germinating,

A.

Candor, NC

Expect it to germinate as well as seed of S. glutinosa, S. nubicola, S. nipponica, and S. koyamae (Drymosphace clade). These can be slow or recalcitrant to break out.

Candor, NC

From Barry Yinger's Asiatica Nursery:

Salvia glabrescens 'Momobana'
This Japanese species is one of the most beautiful hardy perennials for October bloom. The species has lavender-blue flowers, but this new selection is much improved, with pink flowers that are great for cutting. Likes humus-rich soil in light shade...

Salvia glabrescens 'Shi Ho'
This Japanese species is one of the most beautiful hardy perennials for October bloom. The species has lavender-blue flowers, but this new selection is the best yet, with deep violet flowers that are great for cutting. Likes humus-rich soil in light...

Your plants are probably derived from the same stock. Either it came directly from Japan to Australia, or went through Asiatica. Don't use the varietal name if your stock was started by seed

http://www.asiaticanursery.com/index.cfm? When you get to the site, type Salvia in the search box

My glabrescens came straight from Japan.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I can't wait to see the pink one. : ) I'm like a little kid....Is it open yet? lol : )

Asiatica Nursery was the source of my plants.

This is one of the pink ones(white top lip and pink bottom lip) from last year, my glabrescens is still in bud and I am hoping that the second pink one will be all pink, I havent seen it flower yet.It maybe a couple of weeks before it reveals all, one thing you learn is patience when waiting for flowers to open.

Thumbnail by annette68

Ooo...k, I'll try alittle bit of that thing you call 'patience'. : ) I hope it's all pink, too. : )

The trick is to have a ton of salvias and that way there is always something flowering or in bud and that way patience isnt tested toooooo much;)

I only have 2 or 3 blooming now. I just started with salvias last year, so I'm behind everyone else. I do have a few babies tho, that are just about ready to move out on their own, and I bought a little 'Hot Lips' baby the other day. : )

Those darn salvias are just too easy to get attached to, huh? I hardly ever see many in the box stores, so it will take me some time to get a nice collection. But, I'm gonna work on it, little by little. : )

Gerris2 gave me some Lavender Salvia coccinea a few months back, and they have came up, and are ready to separate into their next pots. I can hardly wait for them to bloom, and then set them out in the garden. : )

Well, I'll hush now. : ) ~Lucy

The coccinea lavender is gorgeous, it performs just like any other coccinea and self seeds everywhere, my motto is you can never have enough salvias. We all have to start somewhere.

My collection is getting bigger by the day.Here are some pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salvias/sets/72157602137633953/detail/

Cheers A.

Oh my Goodness,....you must be in 'Heaven'. I just did a quick run through, but I'm gonna go back, and look at them over and over. : ) I never knew there were so many, and I didn't know there were yellow ones. : ) Muirii, and sangria were interesting.

I could never pick a favorite, out of all of those. Very nice collection, Annette. Thanks for showing them to me. : )
~Lucy

It sure is Salvia Heaven here, Salvia madrensis is a beautiful yellow flowering salvia it is flowering now as is the salvia nubicola which is yellow with red spots. Salvia sangria is a splendens and has a gorgeous red flower/white calyx combo. It is hard to have faves, I love them all.

Salvia Madrensis in all its golden glory

Thumbnail by annette68

Salvia Nubicola

Thumbnail by annette68

Absolutely lovely yellow salvias. Are they hard to find in the U.S. nurseries?

They shouldnt be, Richard may have them in stock, he has a lot of salvias.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen them at nurseries out here...but our climate is perfect for most salvias so there are many local nurseries that carry a good selection. In other parts of the country they might be a little tougher to find.

I'd like to find a yellow one, and a white one. I have an unknown pink I got from somewhere, it was blooming today. So dainty, and it looked like it should be planted by a little girls playhouse. : )

So, if I plant salvias close to each other, they probably want come true from seed? Is that right?

Thanks ecrane, I'll start looking around for some. : )

Candor, NC

Nubicola is most often carried as seed and is a bit harder to find than madrensis, or the yellow forms of greggii and greggii x microphylla hybrids: Cienega de Oro, Moonlight, La Luna (considered to be x jamensis forms) and a so-called microphylla Lutea. All of these greggii types are light yellow. If anyone knows of a true deep yellow form of the greggiis, tell me. I have seen them in the wild, near Jame, Coahuila, Mexico. See the attached image.

It's a shame that Salvia hidalgensis is probably extinct. It resembles pineapple sage or S. iodantha in habit with yellow flowers.

Salvia flava v. megalantha has the true deep yellow, but with a deep purple lower lip. The other Drymosphace type Salvias are often yellow, including glutinosa, which is reliable, and koyamae and nipponica. These three are f the light yellow types.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne

The pink that I was waiting for had the wrong tag, it is the white speckled purple glabrescens, so still waiting on the pink.

Thumbnail by annette68

Well, that's pretty, too. : )
~Lucy

Yeah it looks like it has attitude.

LOL,...it does. : )

Hebron, KY

Annette,

More beautiful Salvia pics from you! Love all your Salvias!

Marilyn

My Salvia glabrescens 'Shi Ho' is flowering up! It is always a sure sign that Fall is soon to arrive.

Joseph

Thumbnail by

Here's another view of this cool plant.

Thumbnail by

I was surrounded by a cloud of pollinators when I was shooting flower photos, and I was astonished to see a Carpenter bee actually imbibing nectar the way the flower wanted the pollinator to do it instead of stabbing the calyx to take a shortcut to the nectary.

Thumbnail by
London, United Kingdom

I am jealous of all of you!!! I have NEVER got any form of glabrescens to flower here, it seems quite hardy, buds appear in late September or early October....get frosted before they open. Last year, kept 2 forms in pots, and brought them into the glasshouse....all buds aborted!

Robin.

Gads, Robin, you must get some early frosts. Mine are flowering not too much earlier than the time you quoted. I wonder if you were to cover the plants to keep them from getting frosted?

Joseph

London, United Kingdom

Good idea, Joseph, have just one glabrescens left, the blue one. It is looking healthy underneath an overgrown involucrata. Would love to see this in flower....if only one flower!

Our first frost is usually mid-October, but after such crazy summer weather, anything could happen! Madrensis, for the 2nd successive year thinks it is Autumn already, and is in full bloom! Great!

Robin.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

oh my goodness Annette. I am just amazed at how many Salvias you have.

I am amazed as well that I get the little buggers to germinate and turn into plants, amazing stuff, I have so many more that I want to see flower for myself, guess that there will always be something to watch and wait over:)

Thumbnail by annette68
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Lucy, good question. if these are planted close together and the bees and hummers pollinate them, will we get a new variety?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.