Does Anyone Have Their Magnolia Shoes On This Year?

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

My magnolias are a ways off still here in the north but last year you guys had some beautiful pictures right around now (and yes, I have re-visited that thread ;) ). Has anybody been out and about photographing? I need a spring boost from those of you with your "magnolia shoes" on in warmer zones.

Get those magnolia shoes on, will you? Please?? I count on you folks for my early spring.
Thank you,
magnolialover ;)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry they're all in bloom around me. Here's a pic to hold you over.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My carolina jasmine is in full bloom, loaded with bees. I'm paying attention this to the bees. LOL

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Actually my neighborhood is the worst case for people with hay fever right now. It's raining pine pollen, flowers coming out all over the place.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice spring pictures, coreHHI. I'd take a little hay fever just to see all of that color ;) Hey, thanks.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I went to UBC Botanical Garden today....in the north.

Magnolia sargentiana var. robusta

Thumbnail by growin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

magnolialover came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/706076/

You'll have to look further south for current magnolia blooms. We have not had the excessively warm late winter here in the Ohio River valley (as opposed to last year, when we had weeks in the 60º-80ºF range by now), even having a foot of snow last weekend. Normal, shall we say?

Despite the ridiculous drought of 2007, I see lots of buds on magnolias this spring. My 'Joe McDaniel' is absolutely loaded, more than I ever remember. Can't wait.

I expect the deciduous magnolia types to start popping in the next week to 10 days, and then you'll get your just desserts.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Leonard Messel

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Royal Star, a bit later than Leonard Messel, right hand corner next to the arbour

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Another one because the picture came out so well.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI

I think this was taken in 1998.

Magnolia x 'Pristine'

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Look deep into my eyes...

...when you awake, you will be gardening south of zone 6.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful.
I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks. As the weather warms and your magnolias awaken, can everyone remember to share them? With a long, long winter here and hopefully a gradual thaw, I can't help but be a little more desperate this year. When the only colors you are used to seeing are a lot of white, some brown and some black (black ice, charred snow...well you understand, right?) spring cannot arrive too soon. Well, even if it is spring from all of you, I'll take it ;)

Thanks again and please, please come back with more magnolia blooms.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Just curious, but does anyone here have magnolia x soulangiana 'kiki's broom'? I ordered one from Klehm's Song Sparrow, along with a bunch of other things, and am very excited. Last year when we moved into our house I planted a 'butterflies', 'jane', soulangiana, acuminata, and 'ann'. The 'ann' kicked the bucket, but everything else is looking good. Since I don't have a large lot, and am pretty much "treed out" on space for the big guys, I was very excited to see a witch's broom. Supposedly, 'kiki's broom' will only get about five feet wide and two feet tall in ten years. I have a great spot for it in my front yard.

Elizabeth

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I took this picture this past summer of an area to the left side of our property we just had cleared. There was a grove of magnolia trees growing there, that I made sure were left alone. Here they are.
Pam

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry. I see it was taken in November. It was cleared in September, I believe.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

This one in June last year shows a magnolia growing in the wild on the left side. That also looks like a magnolia tree in the center behind another tree. There is a bunch of little fish jumping from being persued by a bigger fish. They jump like that all the way through the bayou this time of year.
Pam

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Any magnolias blooming in your neighborhoods yet? Pretty please would you share them?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I thought this thread was just for easterners?

Magnolia campbellii subsp. mollicomata 'Borde Hill'

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Thank you growin. Why of course this thread is for anyone and everyone everywhere that has magnolias blooming that wants to share. I got such enjoyment out of last year's thread!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

A neighbor's.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Ok, I have quite a few interesting and really nice pics at UBC Botanical Gardens. Problem is, I took too many pics of Magnolias without breaks between. I need to go back and take pics of the flowers and the labels. Some of these Magnolias are just stunning.

Magnolia 'Charles Raffill' @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Keep them coming and many, many thanks. I just love magnolia time ^_^

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I like the way this one seemed back-lit by the sun.

Magnolia x loebneri 'Leonard Messel' @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Very much like 'Borde Hill' but slightly darker

Magnolia campbellii subsp. mollicomata 'Lanarth'

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I especially like the look of 'Charles Raffil'. I am not familiar with that one.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It is a nice one. Huge blooms even on the small tree.

Magnolia sargentiana @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

victor, I like your neighbors. Everybody needs a neighbor with a nice magnolia, don't you think?

Another neighbor. Wish I knew the variety.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Magnolia sprengeri var. diva @ UBC Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice. Keep them coming. Magnolia season here is weeks off. We've had a tough winter and things are slow to wake up, but now are just beginning.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

My Dr. Merrill is just showing color - if the weather forecast holds it should pop by the weekend.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

We've had quite a bit of hail and a sharp dip below freezing a week or so ago which damaged quite a few of the blooms.

Magnolia 'Pegasus'

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Magnolia campbellii subsp. mollicomata 'Bernie Hollard' @ UBC Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Freeze or no freeze, those sure look good.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Victor, your neighbor's magnolia looks like it might be star magnolia also called Stellata.

So I should stand outside and scream, 'Stellata!!!'

Especially while standing in a bed of your favorite dwarfer golden orange repeat-blooming Hemerocallis...

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.