Anything that'll fit in the chipper Ok for lasagana layer?

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

I was at my local recycling center and noticed they have this huge bin of shredded "stuff". I asked if the mulch was available to the public and he wouldn't call it mulch, just whatever yard waste that would go in the shredder, leaves, limbs, vines, etc.
I am going to be starting a new bed in my front lawn this fall and was thinking of using the lasagna method (more or less). I have access to plenty of cattle manure and bedding to layer it with, as well as plenty of leaf mold going in my "spare bins". I will also have plenty of lawn clippings throughout the summer.
Do you think this stuff will be ok for a long term bed started now and planted in the fall? Thanks for any advice!
Joey

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Grab it and go!!!!! It's black gold in the making!!! Lucky you!!!

LOL thanks! They will even load it in my truck with a front end loader. All for free! I guess I am lucky!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

You can't beat that price!!!

I'm headed over there right now. And i just noticed I misspelled lasagna, too excited I guess : ~)

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

my only concern would be any residual weed killers, pesticides, etc., that may be on the mulch. I don't know how long that lasts, but one of my market growing friends thought he had it made with a bunch of leaves and trimmings from a lawn service (free) and he says his yields on those beds were very low and he suspects herbicides on the leaves.

I had thought of that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Since it's early spring, hopefully most people haven't gotten carried away with the herbicides. I only used items from my own patch of weeds for the vegetable garden, so I'm going to try it on an ornamental bed, hopefully it will be ok.
Thanks for the input!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.