Squirrel pics

Melbourne, FL

Got some pics yesterday while birdwatching. I personally enjoy watching these crazy little things.....anybody else have some squirrel pics to share?

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Coming at ya!

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Too cute!

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Here's the reward.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

They surely make you laugh!

Thumbnail by Gardenfrances
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

It took almost a year for them to figure out this feeder. I enjoyed watching the process.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for adding some pics. I was reminded I started this to the wrong forum, but hope everyone enjoys the pics anyway!

Spanish Fork, UT

These pictures were the first thing I clicked on after joining your gardening group! I grew up watching these little guys with my folks from our kitchen window. They became part of my life. Even on the day I was married I have a photo of one eating from my hand as I stood by a tree in my wedding dress! My dear parents are gone now but suddenly right here beside me as I viewed your photos..........thanks to all of you. I am going to love this site!

Marlton, NJ

Welcome to Daves jeannies4garden!

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome, jeannie. Thanks for the pics, pelletory, I enjoyed them.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for the nice story Jeannie. Welcome!

Melbourne, FL

Here are a couple more pics from today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

At the feeder.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Gardenfrances,
I have a feeder like yours and the squirrels hang by their toes to eat just like that. Sometimes if they are just right, it looks like they are hanging from their tail. Funny.
gardenpom,
Nice pictures. Enjoyed looking at every one. Each one there is one that is not in my feeder. LOL
Counted 12 yesterday at one time.

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

cpartschick,
Have your squirrels figured out how to open your feeder? Here it took 2 YEARS, and I thought (foolishly) that the design had outwitted them. I enjoyed their antics. Then, one day, I think by accident a similar (double barreled copper top feeder) opened with the squirrel on top. Within 24 hours they had figured out how to open the other one! It takes quite a bit because they have to push up the copper top toget their heads in. But they did it! Too funny and I sit here and watch and laugh. They are ingenious.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The squirrels are too big to get into mine, but not the little red squirrels or chipmunks that just pry their way inside and sit and eat.

The raccoons untie the heavy wire holding it on the branch and take the whole thing with them. We now take the feeders in at night this time of year. The raccoons have tore some pretty nice feeders to shreds.
I thought we had a bear in, because of the damage, until I heard a noise in the night and saw several 25 lb raccoons fighting and tearing at the feeders.

If they are not out there at night, we don't have the problem and everyone (maybe not the raccoon) is happier.

Melbourne, FL

A couple from today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hahahahahaha, love that first one.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one from a few weeks ago. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

And another. I love watching these guys. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Trying to find the funny one. Oh! Well

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Marlton, NJ

Very cute Bev!

Melbourne, FL

That's a cutie, for sure.

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Great pics!

Melbourne, FL

A few from today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

2nd pic.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

3rd pic.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Squirrel with Brazil nut.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Wow thats a mouthful!!

Nice pics!!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks Pelle.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of one of my bird feeder robbers. They can really hang from their toes well.
Poor feeder has been mauled by raccoons, deer, and squirrel. It still works though.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

What a cool picture! Your squirrel looks different than the squirrels here. Do you have both grey squirrels and the black variant, or is it a different kind all together. Gorgeous yard, too!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, it looks pretty messy and even worse in the summer, but it is pretty to us. The lake/marsh area is just past the end of the picture. There were several geese swimming around as I took the picture. Fun to watch.

We have quite a few black squirrels. (probably the most) Then we have gray squirrels, fox squirrels (the biggest) and the little nasty red squirrel. They will all be out there at once, biting and chasing each other over the food.

We have quite a few hawks, owls, coyotte, fox, bobcat and other preditors. But it seems they mostly leave the squirrels for the better tasting turkey, ruffled grouse, bunnies and cats. Seems those things are hard to keep around here. Esp the turkey and grouse, that declined sharply after the one bobcat turned into more.

I have seen a few squirrels picked up, but not enough to lower the population. They are fun to watch though, hanging from their toes, or trying to figure out how to get the food.

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

The reason our feeders are always empty!!!
Cpatschick, I don't think it looks messy at ALL! It's gorgeous and must give you a lot of enjoyment and many things to watch. Interesting about the predators that you have around there. In a bio course I took -about 35 years ago- I remember the professor talking about red and grey squirrels. He said that they were 2 species whose niches were the same and that when they are in the same area they compete for resources. (I went to school up north, near the Canadian border but lived in southern NY) At the time I had never seen a red squirrel. He said that when they compete the red squirrel is much more aggressive in getting food, place to live, and eventually outcompetes the grey squirrel. He predicted that the red squirrel's range would increase and they would take over the grey squirrel's range. I've been noticing red squirrels around here the last 3 years or so. It was funny to hear you mention the nasty red squirrel!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, looks like he is wearing a pointed cap!

The little red squirrels are quite aggresive. They are just slightly larger than a chipmunk, but chase all the birds and other squirrels away from the feeder. There are all kinds of nasty tales about what they do. I haven't seen any of this, but who knows,

The black squirrels tend to be more aggresive than the gray or fox squirrels too. They can get as big as a fox squirrel.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have many squirrels at one time out front, but not together enough for a picture. I did get a few this morning and a chippy too.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Melbourne, FL

Those black squirrels are cool. I got a couple squirrel shots today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

And this one on the line.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

It's so neat to see how different the squirrels are in different areas! Thanks for the great pics of the black squirrels! And, gardenpom, the pic of lthe squirrel in the tree is a calendar pose! Awesome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.