A Casual Thought

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I just popped back in to read the latest posts, and I had an idea. We are going to get all kinds of plants being mentioned on here because hybridising is such a big subject. In order to make this forum flourish we need to make sure that it comes to the notice of any DG members who might be interested. So I think it would be a good idea for people with an interest in a particular kind of plant to mention this forum in others where appropriate. I know BWilliams from the Aroid Forum and Marieva from the amaryllis forum have done so but not pennyrile who is a fairly new member on DG. The tomato work sounds very interesting though, and I bet if Pennyrile mentioned it in the Tomato Forum there would be a lot of readers to follow the future adventures of the F2 progeny.

So Brian, if I may be so bold as to suggest a small sticky at the top suggesting this to new posters even if only for the first few months until we gain some natural momentum. We did this with a Trading thread in the formerly very quiet Australian forum and the forum now goes gang busters. In fact I am about to suggest to Admin that we "De-sticky" the current one and start again because the thread has now fallen victim to it's own success and has become too long to load in a reasonable time!

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

You know Kaelkitty,

It would be good to have a sticky on ALL plant-related forums announcing this forum. I wonder if Terry (Admin) would be the best person to take this request to.

~Margie

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Margie,
It might be best for Brian or Marieva to suggest this to Terry in Admin as this forum kind of started off as their baby. I am not quite sure what Admin's policy is in regard to such blanket creation of stickies, but I would think at least an announcement thread would be OK. I was just thinking that a sticky HERE with a subject line like "Are you new to this Forum? please read this Thread" would clue in new readers as we get them, and they inturn could go back to the other forums that they read and say something like "Check out my hybrid "______"s in the Hybridizers Forum" and add a link.

Ciao, KK.

Edited to fix very embarrassing spelling error.

This message was edited May 25, 2008 1:58 PM

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wonderful Idea - - I sure hope it happens! :-)

~Margie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.