Hen Havens, Poopy Drawers, and other non-essentials

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

my DH the most patient man in the universe, has been busy making things to my specs LOL

For Starters, a view of what I call Hen Haven. Actually custom sized for my OEG Blue Wheatens. This is the slide out drawer for cleaning poop and adding/changine bedding materials. The front of the Upper Haven folds down first, then the Poopy Drawer, notched for the Accessible Ramp, slides out completely.

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Another view...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and one from the front... more after lunch.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2008 12:14 PM

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
my DH the most patient man in the universe, has been busy making things to my specs LOL

Isn't that funny.... I hadn't seen this till right now.. what great men we have.... great job guys...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i was oging to start mine when i saw yours. so i guess we'll have to agree to disagree LOL. when he gets in from work, he'll be looking at your DH work, i guarantee it. otherwise i won't let him on th epc to look at car show pics!

the back of the haven is open becasue we installed it inside... so easy a child [even mine!] can open and close it...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and the Bottom Floor... "Lower Haven"

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Here are the beginnings of the outside pens. keep in mind, these are for small birds. there will be tops on these for access to catching/cleaning. feed and water are in the Havens, inside the building.

first, wall before DryLoc sealer...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

after [my hard labor]

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

view with child for proportions

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

after DH painted it to match the house [he was grieved over my pickiness LOL]

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

break time!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

while we await better pictures of the pens, here is a close up of the nest side of the Upper Level... see the tiny roost? and i put grass hay in the rectangle on the right.

bad wind just hit, time to check on animals...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Those are really great works of building TF
wow your lucky you got him around LOL :)
Cute kiddlet too lol
that is alot of work. Can't wait to see more

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW, great job. I am impressed !!! Explain to the rest of us where you found him...lol.

Julie =0)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Super nice building you got going on there.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

picture from this morning... i thinks he is taking the day off today. no complaints here, maybe he will be up to cooking supper, kids and i are tired of my frozen pizza! so is DH...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

as far as where i found him, he is a Yankee, and he found me LOL he just married me so he would have building projects till the day he dies. and an occasional trip to the Lake...

view from other side... those 4x4s are IN the ground. the rails consists of re-used futon frames with 1/2" hardware cloth wired on. they are small OEG birds, don't want any snakes getting in there! or finches that steal their food!

the main challenge has been the top. redesigned several times. he finished one side the other day. thinking on it today i guess. so i can't tell you what it will look like cause I don't know yet. I know it will be sturdy and strong and last longer than us!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

further back...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i am now addicted to posting pictures. here are the wheatens. i let them out while i changed their water, and after playing around a while, decided they liked the view...

i know they will LOVE their outside run...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

very cool TF

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

can't wait to have more photos to post to this thread. DH took the day off, cold and windy outside...

tf

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

I love your poopy drawers, TF! I also must commend your
DH. It's so nice they want to help, and lend a strong arm!
Since we are just beginning the building, it's great to have
your pics for ideas. May I? Dh has been scouring the net,
and he needn't look too far- it's all right here!

I'm getting a rain bomb, right now.

I love Joycet.
May princess kathy have a great DH.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Oh, yes, copy on! I got the idea froma catalog, and he customized it.

I love Joycet.
May princess kathy have a great DH.(let's see if she catches
that one)

Thanks, TF. I especially like the easier cleaning aspect. I've
seen too many pictures of coops that did not keep that in mind.

I found DH a yankee of sorts- really a San Franciscan, so
not much difference! LOL. After moving here to work, and
meeting me and family, he says he led a sheltered life.
I have to agree, he was so green, he was blinding! I'm
working on fixing that. And, he's still smiling! LOL

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

took more pictures. will have up manana! as soon as it is warm enough, everybody gets moved to new pens!

y'all are REALLY gonna like this...

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

can't wait... hurry up!!!

were waiting ........ still waiting ....LOL :)

Waiting here, too!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

new pics on the way. uploading now. and baby has a loaded diaper, so don't put me on a schedule here LOL...

tf

TF! LOL That had to be the loaded-est diaper
ever known to man! Where's your pics, girl?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

For that matter where is she? Haven't seen a post from tf is two days now.

MollyD

Lodi, United States

She's milking her goat!

Must be one quick goat, you have to catch it
first! LOL

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I just got back from visiting the farm I'm getting mine from. Discovered one of the ones he'd set aside for me wasn't the one I wanted so when we found the right one he said it was one he was keeping to show. He offered me some purebreds instead (the one I wanted was a percentage) and I accepted a doe with two nursing bucklings. One is a paint, the other may end up as dinner at some point LOL. They're a month old and cute as can be. All three were clean so I can pick them up on Tuesday. Now this doe is a full sister (they were triplets!) to the one being bred for me. That one I will get in a couple of weeks. Waiting to be sure she's clean and bred. So as of today I will have 2 adult does, 2 buckling kids and possibly 1 four month old buck. This is my version of goat Peyton Place!

Hope tf is having a better time with her doe!

MollyD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

LOL, having a MAH-velous time. going to milk agian in ten minutes. she won't be bred back till next year, and i have to milk her three times a day to get her supply up, she is only two and this was her first year.... she doesn't know how, doens't like it, etc. so a LOT of work...

:& taking advantage of the weather to get other things doen outside, and getting hens ready for the bantam show tomorrow, and etc, etc, etc

oh, and still changing poopy diapers regularly LOL

and taking lots of pics to show you later on ^_^

truest, thank you for the seeds! i know those are liekly Strawberry popcorn, and i'll plant them where the wind can't blow tassles towards the other corn.

tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, DH had to mnake an adujustment on the opening for the ramp, which meant he would have to recut the poopy drawers, and he finally told me he WASN'T... so i told him his famous thread would become infamous LOL

meanwhile, he is still building, and i am still taking pictures... and changing diapers, and coming up with more ways to keep DH busy ^_^

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I'd rather be resting, but DH deserves the rest of these pics posted, and until li just looked i had no idea ho wbadly i left you all hanging! so here are the rest of the photos for this particular set of pens. suggestions an dcomments welcome, we are about to do three more like this!

we get lots of comments from people that come by/over...

a close up of the framing on the left side. those are only vertical pieces against the wall, the diagonals are shadows. everything in hardware clothe except the didvider which you will see in a later photo...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and the right side...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

he changed his mind several times before deciding on the roof like this. he wanted integrity most of all, ease of use, least amount of materials, plus using what we have on hand... the only expense was the hardware cloth about $100 roll [have some left over] and a roll of tying wire for 3.99...

i have no idea what he is cutting here, so don't ask LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is the brace for between the two pens...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.