Detering moles

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I am getting ready to build two raised beds in my back yard that seems to be infested with moles. I am concerned that they will tunnel into my raised beds and ruin my veggies. Am wondering if putting a wire barrier on top of the ground before the bed will help keep them out. Any one try this or have suggestions?
Thanks!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I had trouble with voles although this may work with moles. I used an iced-tea spoon and put a little rat poison WAY back in the hole to make sure my squirrels wouldn't get any (squirrels don't go underground). My voles are gone and have not returned. I supposed you could carefully open a mole tunnel and do the same.
But if you have chipmunks around; I wouldn't try it.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Moles are another one of those critters that like to feed on grubs in your lawn. Try treating it with some Seven to kill the grubs and the moles will likely go elsewhere looking for dinner.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

that sounds much better. There may even be an organic solution.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Milky spore is preferable to Sevin, the Sevin will kill everything that's living in your lawn not just the grubs, but the milky spore will just go for the grubs. Nematodes might work too, there's someone else who posted here looking for advice on how to apply nematodes for grub control.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for everyone's ideas - I didn't want to do the rat poison or Sevin - maybe the milky spore is a good alternative for me. I'll look into it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.