Looking for nurse/Dr. to help with Q's about kidney failure

(Zone 7a)

Let me start by saying, I am not being morbid or unfeeling. I just want to understand the process of dying. If you don't feel like reading past this then I completely understand...

My mother is currently in the last stages of kidney failure. She is 83 years old. For her own reasons, which I agree with, she has opted not to have dialysis. She has begun hallucinating and speaking to people who are not there. (At least that we can see.) She has had 3 episodes of throwing up and passing out. She has had one panic attack. The Drs. where she is are very comforting and try to explain what is happening and what will happen next. BUT...they think I'm unversed in medical speak and will not go further than saying she will be okay in the end. I have one woman who is with a hospice care center that has been more helpful but even she will not say much more.

I have been a medical assistant in the past and do have some knowledge but in this case, I'm unclear what is happening and what will happen next.

This is my way of dealing what is happening to my mom. I lost my dad at the first of the year and it was better because I knew what was happening. My brothers do not understand and I have a hard time asking these questions when I'm with them, which is often when I see mom. She is in a first-rate facility and I'm not a bit concerned she is not getting the right care.

So...If you can answer some of the questions I have , please jump in. If someone says something I don't understand, I will ask what is meant or I will consult my books.

Thanks for any help.

Celia Santiago

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!