Hummingbird feeders

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

What's the earlist that you can put out a hummingbird feeder? Last year it went up late and I didn't see a single bird.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Dogwalker -
I'm looking at our mix of snow and rain at the moment and I'm hoping those hummers aren't headed our way until at least end of April, beginning of May...
I think I had mine up in mid-may last year. My honeysuckle sometimes blooms that early if the weather is cooperating....and the wisteria is too....

Francestown, NH

Hi Dogwalker,
Mid-May is when I start seeing them show up...I've had a male hummer 'buzz' me once because I hadn't put up the feeder yet! Always right before Memorial Day.
HomersMom

I know you can buy stuff to feed them but isn't there a sugar mix you can do at home?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Early May for me.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I posted this a while ago, you can check when they are getting close to your area. It is fun to watch how quickly they can come north. http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Thanks ngam. I forgot about that.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

The hummers showed up at my place last year May 1st. It was quite the surprise.

The sugar mix you make at home is better for them than the commercial stuff with the red dye. If you have red on the feeder, that's enough red. Since they see ultraviolet light, some folks use that orange landscaping tape on their feeders.

Boil water and make a 4:1 water to sugar solution. Boil it for a minute after adding the sugar. Cool it before filling the feeder! And clean your feeder with a 10:1 water & bleach solution at least weekly, and more so in the hotter months. If your nectar gets moldy, they usually won't come back.

Some folks start out with a 3:1 solution in the early part of the season, (post migration boost) drop it to 4:1, and then back up to 3:1 to fatten them up for the fall migration back. Or if you have territory wars, get another feeder and load that one with the stronger solution, and the more aggressive hummer will claim that one. Keep the feeders at least 10 feet away from each other. Out of sight of each other is even better.

I read somewhere to bring to a boil and then add the sugar. That's what I always do. Doubt it makes much difference.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

This site says you do not have to boil it at all now. http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html

I don't boil to purify the water, but to make the sugar dissolve easier.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup water. They show up here in the Hudson valley of N.Y. around April sometime. I change my food every 3-5 days depending on the heat.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

ngam, I've never heard of that website. Thank you! for posting it. The migration map is do exciting!
Lora B.

It would be nice for everyone to post on this thread when they first spot one in their garden!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.