Unexpected Seeds

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

A few questions..
Is this seedpod ready?
What do I do with it when it is?

Thanks

Thumbnail by Colquhoun

Looks ready to me, if you don't gather them They will scatter in the wind. They are very lite.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Sow them as soon as possible For example you can use this technique: Put them individually, one beside the other, into lines which you dig with a broken ruler into the substrate. Use tweezers to place the seeds but touch only the edge of them seeds with these. The seeds stand upright in these lines, and if you want to obtain the perfect position for each seed then place the pinnacled point below, because the root will rather exactly emerge from there.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2008 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by haweha
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love the technique! I'll hafta try it sometime.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the response!

Just wanted to give an update.
After 2 months, I have plenty of babies.
Some of them even have 2 leaves!
I think they are happy for now.
I have them on top of the wooden top on my aquarium and under a timed grow light.

I only had 6 that did not sprout and 4 that are growing slower than the others.

So, how long can they stay like this?

Also, the pod grew on Picotee and the only other one blooming was Appleblossom. Not entirely sure if this is a self cross or if Appleblossom is the pollen parent.

Any hint at all as to what the babies might look like? 3-5 years is a long wait and I am way too excited!!

This message was edited May 18, 2008 1:25 AM

Thumbnail by Colquhoun

Pick up a couple and look at the bottoms of your peat pellets. You've probably got roots emerging or getting ready to. I would move them up into a window box for the summer. You don't want to roots growing out of the pots. You did very well for your first try.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you!

A few of them do have a small root emerging from the bottom of the peat pellets.
I'll get them moved into a larger home.

Pleasant Hill, CA

I have step by step photo instructions on growing these from seed if anyone would like those. Email AnnieAppleseed@comcast.net

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow, you people have patience, that's all I can tell you! I wish, lol - ADHD is just not very conducive to being able to use methods like that. I just throw them all in a pot and let them go! (I do try to use proper soil mixes, though)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.