Beaver Sawed Down My Established Roses.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a beautiful 'Carefree Sunshine' shrub rose in which I've trained onto my back porch. Living by a large body of water, a lake. I took precautions and rigged up chicken wire mesh to protect most ornamental trees in the area, but didn't think to cover the roses since the thorns are pretty "intimidating" to most critters -- or so I thought.
It's heart broken to find rose canes the size of larger than an average thumb size canes are 'neatly sawed' down nearly to the ground, some higher up to about foot tall, or foot and a half.
Is there some beaver's deterent plants I can plant to deter such destructive critters from returning, other than having a German Sheppard guarding the area 24/7?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The good news is I think most roses will come back from severe pruning--so as long as it wasn't a grafted one that got chewed off below the graft I think it'll come back for you. I'd just put chicken wire around it, that seems like the easiest approach. I'm not sure if the usual stuff like predator urine, liquid fence, cayenne pepper, etc would work on them or not.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks ecrane, I'm still upset with the nuisane creature for it has chewed down my "Lemonnade" honey suckle vines inwhich I've trained up with the roses for color enhancing and contrast. Both will return in time, but I've lost a couple of years growth due to such destructive critters!!!! Grrrrrrrr!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, I never heard of them chewing a rose bush.
Hope it comes back for you. We have some nice pointy tree stumps around here, so I know what kind of mess that critter can make.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sling shots are good. Found this on the net

Ropel Liquid Repellent

http://www.pestproducts.com/ropel.htm

This product will give whatever it is sprayed on an extremely bitter taste. You will find this a good tool to keep rats, squirrels or other animals from cutting the wood into your attic. The squirrel or other gnawing animals will find the sprayed area too bitter to chew. Outdoor surfaces may need second or third applications. Also works on skunks, woodpeckers and rabbits. In woodpecker control, taste deterrents such as Ropel are limited to specific areas. In other words, trying to cover large areas (side of house, buildings) would be very difficult. However, great results can be achieved by combining two or more animal deterrents: sound and taste, visual and sound, etc.

Packaged in ready-to-use quart container. Use as needed.

Each quart of Ropel Liquid Repellent is $17.50, plus S&H.

X

My condolences. Perhaps the roses will come back with a vengance.

Beavers cut down all my brother's Dogwoods. He didn't like that,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.