Identification for Old Irises

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, I honestly attest that I have tried to research this already on Dave's Garden, but I'm coming up short. So any help is appreciated.

I have a few old irises of my Great-Grandmother's that would be nice to have identified. Is there any way to find out information on these?

One I think might be the Sweet Iris (pallida).

But here's another one.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i am not trying to highjack your thread, but at first glance i thought your noid was like my noid. after looking again, it is obviously not the same iris. however, if anyone looking at yours might be able to give me some idea as to the id of this flower i would greatly appreciate it! btw, that is a gorgeous clump of iris!! at this point i can only dream of a display like that. i have a total of 3 bloom buds from all my iris and who know if i will have any more this year.

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl

aggiegrl, I think I have yours too. I believe it might be Monsignor: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58545/

though it looks like yours has a bit more white.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

they do look very similar. but, comparing them side by side, the Monsignor has a lighter lavender along the edges of the falls and mine is pretty much consistantly darker on the fall. looks the most like mine that i have seen yet. thanks so much for your effort.

tracie

No problem! These irises have been in my family for years and I'm always trying to figure out what they are called. I'll have to get a better picture of the "dark purple" as we've called it. (We're so creative!!)

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

This noid looks like it might possibly be Mme Henri Cayeux by Cayeux 1924.
Am showing a picture of it growing in my garden.

Thumbnail by Mainer

well i say that's a pretty good match to mine.

And judging from the Dave's Garden plantfile, I say that at least THIS mystery is solved. Thanks for the help.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67285/

Also, I just found this site for historical iris:

http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-main.html

Aggiegrl, check out Iris Germanica

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 6:05 PM

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks for the link. i just looked throught their listings. the I. germanica looks about the closest to mine, but i am not sure. mine is very velvety on the bottom and kinda glitters. cant tell from this photo of the l. germanica does. apparently that type is very common, so may very well be it.

tracie

I. germanica

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Mrs. Ed,
Is your iris really fragrant? I have an old one too I haven't id'ed and it looks alot like yours. Mine smells so wonderful when blooming.
Laura

You know, I can't remember the fragrance of this particular one (I'm not sure if it is "Jerry" or "Mme. Henri Cayeaux). I think it was a nice strong smell. The best smelling of all of them though is "Iris Pallida" or Sweet Iris. Like Candy!!

Here is a little thing I put together to try and identify this particular iris. There's no accounting for different camera colorations, but mine sure looks more like "Jerry." I've got a Dmail into Wandasflowers to see if she knows.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.