wanted Yvonne's Salvia

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I have almost finished winter sowing, and I have tons of seeds which I could trade for seeds of this incredible plant. I had no idea why peopel were talking about it until I looked at it! Please, if you have seeds or know anyone who does, I would love to trade for it!

Gloria

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a few, dmail me.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm attempting to get some of this too. Yvonne passed away this winter and they are trying to get people to grow it as a tribute!

Dunmor, KY(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know what zones these are for? I received some in a trade & couldn't find any real info on it. Is it really called Yvonne's Salvia or was that they lady that was sending it to people or what?

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Dixielol, it is a Salvia splendens. For more info see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Yvonnes-salvia/

All: if you join the group, you'll get seeds (as long as available)

Jonna

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I joined the group, but I didn't see anything about getting seeds. Maybe I will get an e-mail?

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I put a post on there about wanting seeds and heard back from Emily this afternoon. SO you can either post on my post, or send Emily a note? If you go to messages on the yahoo group, my post should be the last one there.

Actually I just checked and there are a few more posts so I am sure someone will see them.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 8:10 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Lissa,

I will probaly hear from her soon. Thank you!

Carol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm joining--seed or no seed I think that it is a really nice tribute to Yvonne:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I joined, asked for some seeds, and received a nice email asking me to send postage for some of the seeds, which I did! Looking forward to participating in this.

Kyla

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Sadly none of my friends are into gardening but some of the customers where I work are so I share seed and bulbs and chit chat with them:) I looked at the photos there and couldn't believe the size of the plant--really beautiful:)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I dont know if those of you who joined the Yahoo Group, read the entire thread... but here is a snippet from one of Emily's last posts.....

Quoting:

"Maybe suggest that those holding seeds share some with at least 1 other person
this year and pass on the story of Yvonne's salvias. Ask that everyone plant
some of Yvonne's seeds this year in some way that they can dedicate to her
memory....whether a whole patch of them for a dramatic show, or maybe plant them
as the centerpiece of a flower bed...whatever they can/want to do. No set
rules...each person doing his/her own thing. Then we all share pics...maybe a
few during the season, and especially some at the end of the season."

I happened to clean out my in box today... and deleted all the Yvonnes Emails... but was able to locate this post.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have two plants on my widow sill. I was hoping to get a good jump on the year and get a few mature plants in hopes of getting 4' + tall plants this year. We shall see. I only got 2 seedlings out of 30 seeds. I also have more WS'ed. we shall see.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that information tcs:) I've been offered seed and plan to share when I have some to collect. I've got some back reading to do at the yahoo group so I can catch up. Seems like a nice little group:)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Does anyone know what zones these are for?

Since they are annuals, they should work in any zone. I'd think the farther south the better as they'd have a longer growing season.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

It's a Salvia splendens, in your zone you'd better start it inside. I had a few seeds started inside and I winter sowed some, just to see what the difference will be. The ones inside already sprouted, the ones outside not yet.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here are my 2 seedlings. they were sown on 2-6-09 ... I think it was 10 days for germination for them. first there were 4, but 2 tiny ones perished. these 2 are doing very well.
they are in a 4 " round pot.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness, were those wintersown? (seeing the plastic down there.....) I just got some and plan to sow some this coming weekend. Those are lovely.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

NO... actually, they were not WS'ed. I put them in that gusseted bag in a south facing window til they germinated. At first, 2 seeds molded, so i'd start taking the bag down during the day, when it was sunny, then close it back up at night until these two were doing well.

the WS'ed ones have not germinated yet.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a south facing window........ so mine are gonna get wintersown.

I had thought about trying some starts in my east facing window but for various reasons have not tried that -- and anyway I don't think it gets enough light to be worthwhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.