ponderosa lemon tree

Punta Gorda, FL

hello everyone i am new to this forum can some one help me i was given a ponderosa lemon tree its a young one and i need to know how to care for it once we plant it from jackie

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha jackie, and welcome.
I don't have a lemon tree, but I do have a lime and orange tree and I would imagine the culture is just about the same. For us here in Hawaii citrus grows very quickly as we have no cold weather to deal with. Some years, if I remember, I give a dose of citrus food once a year - that's it!
When I lived in Arizona I had a lemon which survived in the ground just fine despite a few air frost evenings, so I think they will take a small amount of cold nights quite easily.
Are you frost free in your area of Florida? Is the tree going to be in a pot or in the ground?
Sorry I am not of much help to you, but I did want to welcome you, and I hope you will become a "regular". We have some real experts who grow tropicals way out of the zone thing, hopefully they will join in and give you some sound advice.
Aloha
Jenny

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

When I was in Panama City Beach, Florida, zone 8b) over the Thanksgiving week, I saw lemon and lime trees, in the ground and loaded with fruit. I KNOW they get frosts, so yours should do fine in the ground where you live.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yokwe Jackie! Welcome to our forum! My DD here on island is growing a lemon...don't know if its a Ponderosa, but just as Jenny said above, citrus is very care-free out here... I guess the main thing is if you are going to have it in a pot, or in the ground...if in the ground, make sure you prepare the ground correctly for citrus trees...that info can be found here: good luck!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/fruit/all/

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ponderosa Lemons are so neat! They get to be the size of cantaloupes! They actually will need pretty regular fertilizing to actually produce their fruit. If I remember correctly they are also prone to bugs & will get the soot fungus. Scrubbing with soap & water will help. Yummy pies too!

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello! I live in the Midwest but I have a Meyer Lemon and a Key Lime tree that I grow in pots on my deck during the warmer weather. I LOVE them!! I actually have a Ponderosa lemon coming to me this week, was just curious how yours is doing Jackie? I am interested to know if there is much difference between what I already have and what I am about to receive. Thanks!

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Grows well here in Marco Island. WATER WATER WATER!!!!! Once it gets established you'll be in great shape. Have used the fertilizer spikes and have switched to granular-- Lowes does BOGOs on those every so often. I think the Ponderosas are so fun --people have NO idea what they are!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.