planting by the moon phases

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

How many out here plant by the moon? I've been reading about the moons effect on plants and when they should be planted, I'm soooo confused, can anybody help me understand. I should have listened to my grandmother when she tried to teach me about gardening.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are probably some folks around who do, but I am strictly one who plants by the the light of the sun.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I ran into a wine maker who planted and had a bunch of thing he did by the moon phases. He was a little out there. Wine wasn't that great either.

Short answer, I don't think it makes a difference. Weather conditions would have more of an effect.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I do plant by the phases of the moon. Gapeahen sent me the calendar with the guide and legends on it. I've tried my best to follow it. Whether or not my gardens will benefit, I can't say for sure. I feel the gravitational pull that causes tides also effects the underground water as well. At any rate, it does help me with my "to do" task list. Under barren signs, I use those as destroy days, giving me reason to focus on keeping weeds down and controling pests, slugs in particular.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Very cute Dill >). I myself am a solar planter. I wait 'til the sun warms up my bones enough to crank up the tiller or turn a row. I say if there's no need for 50 sunscreen, there's no need to plant. Still have a pantry full of canned stuff and just finished roasting the last of the butternut squash. The rest will happen in good time :).

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

I got started with this because I was reading an old foxfire book that I bought and it discussed the right time to plant and everything else and I remember my grandmother telling me about doing certain things when the moon was at different stages she even practiced something along the lines of the zodiac or something to do with the sign the planets were in, like I said, I wish I had paid more attention. she always had the best gardens and the biggest roses I can remember seeing. I did visit the moon planting forum here and got a link to the "old farmers almanac" dawg you might be interested in that if your looking at planting by the moon. I planted lettuce during the first quarter this month ,I'll let you know how it goes.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would like to see someone do a little A_B comparsion. I have to say I do a few things that I will take the phase of the moon into consideration. I also have a few superstitions that I pay attention to. In my mind they work, to others?????

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I'd love to hear how your veggie garden does. I've not planted a veggie garden, only flowers. I'll check out the moon planting forum; didn't even know DG had one.
Wish I had the time to allot a small garden spot to plant the wrong way, against the signs of the moon in accordance with my calendar, just to see if I could tell a difference. Interesting, yes?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Core, we cross posted. LOL We are thinking alike.

Who would like to take on a little experiment?

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/lunarmania/all/
there ya go dawg
that should do ya

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you! I added this to my favorites. Will read up to see if anyone has done any experimenting to compare with/without lunar gardening.
My mother reminded me that all of my farming relatives planted and harvested by the moon phases.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

OK I'm going to do an experiment with tomato's the full moon will be next weekend and after that if I understand correctly will be the wrong time to plant I'll p;ant a couple of plants this weekend and save 3 for next weekend and see what happens

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

my mom just reminded me that planting before easter is not a good idea, she also told me the same thing last year but being the educated moron that I am I didn't listen, needless to say I had to do a second planting after that horrible easter freeze last spring. anyway.... I think I'll wait another week or two for that experiment

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, My mama said the very same thing! She said, "Humm, told-cha."

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

For some reason I have a picture of the water boy in my head now.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, Mama knows best!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's a great weather site for Georgia. Forcasts, soil temp., moon phases and more!

http://www.georgiaweather.net/

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

I just checked that site and found this.

Last Frost Date
2008 Mar 9 29.5

LOL,Thanks for that usefull info while I'm sitting here in freezing weather on March 25!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 11:41 AM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Those weather liars. Can't live with'em and can't believe'em either. LOL

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't know about that. Last average frost date for Albany Ga is March 31. There is still a 50-50 chance of a later frost.

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

Right, it just depends on where you check. I have seen the 31st date somewhere else but this site is reporting it as the 9th. I have also seen it somewhere else as being the 15th!

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.usagardener.com/breaking_ground/frost_dates_usa.php

Athens Ga April 21
who do you believe? I intend to have my garden planted by that date

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Surely by April 16th? I'm going for this date for tender perennials and tropicals. Fingers crossed.

Do you folks have an extension service planting chart for your area? After 36 years in one part of GA or another, I find it invaluable. It's not "The Word", but it sure does help to not be. Tstabbing at planting dates. The charts are based on info collected for your county as researched by UGA AG. These dates are based on historical weather research. You can find them at your local extension office, or UGA. I keep copies in my favorite garden books, on my calenders, and tacked up on my basement door as my mom didn't know squat about gardening!

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't see it or any mention of one on the site for my county.
http://www.ugaextension.com/dougherty/

OK, well, I "ride the special bus" when it comes to techno-anything, but what I have is titled "For A Better Garden" and lists crop, days to maturity, earliest/latest planting dates, seeds/plts. per 100 s.f., distance between rows/plants and depths. Choose what you want out of that, but I concentrate on the dates. They even asterisk plants that can go in 2-3 weeks earlier if willing to chance crop loss. Perhaps this chart was created for my area; Dawson, Habersham, Lumpkin, Murray, Pickens and White (which is me) only? I hope not. Try calling your local extension service or mailing UGA. I thought these were available for gardeners all over GA.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I've seen one for around the Savannah area, it was on line but I don't seem to have the link. Not sure where I found it.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm asian and I don't follow the lunar cycles, but my relatives swears by it. They grew up farming and they do just about everything based on the lunar cycles.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

here's where I started,you can surf from there and find lots of info

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/statewide.cfm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.