VA Eastern Shore Get Together/Plant Swap

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Anyone ready for a swap?
We're having a get together/swap in Accomac VA. The house is an hour north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and an hour south of Salisbury, MD. There is plenty of room to park and set up tables/chairs etc. This is open to anyone and everyone that would like to attend.

For any that like to check out nurseries, there is a nice one about 15 miles north of me, Thomas Gardens in Temperanceville, that carries a little of everything. I go there frequently ;) Maybe we could take some time to go up there. There is another about 5 minutes from the house but it is quite small.

The date: June 7.
Any time after 10 a.m.

Just dmail me or post that you'll be coming and I'll dmail everyone with directions when it gets closer.

Swap Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/823783/
Pot Luck/Food Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/844997/

I will have lots to trade, and for those that don't know me, I'm a hosta addict and will have plenty of them ;) If you don't have much or are new to gardening, not to worry. I've never been to a swap yet that I've not come home with more than I brought (even though I always say that won't happen, LOL).

If you'd like to bring a snack or dish of some sort that would be great! Plant shopping and swapping works up an appetite ;)

Please bring a chair if you have one.

Come on out and play everyone! :) I can't wait to see friends again and meet some new friends too! :)

This message was edited May 10, 2008 5:56 AM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I would be interested......sounds like fun. What date are you planning for?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Morning doccat5

I'm leaning towards June 7th but as mentioned, it's not yet "set in stone".

Ok, cool, I'll keep watch this thread......:) I went to the one in Md just last month. It was great and you're right, now I have things to trade. I'm just starting out and most of my seed is heirloom veggies. LOL

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wasn't it a blast getting to meet everyone? I wanted to go so badly and was green with envy watching the posts.

I haven't grown a veggie garden since we got this place in va 3 yrs ago. I miss em, just haven't had the time or place. I did sow a few tomotoes the other day, thats all the new veggie garden has room for since I got little over zealous with different kinds of gourds this year, LOL.

Do you need/want some flower seed? I've got bunches and would be happy to send you some ;) I just finished sowing about a dozen different japanese morning glories this mornig :) I just love em, I grow them in pots. But I've got lots of other flower seed, annual and perennial. They just seem to multiply out of no where, LOL.

Thanks so much, I'm up to my ears in seeds just now. I'm still sorting from that swap and one I did on another gardening site. I don't do MGs having had a bad experience with the pretty little thugs. But thanks anyway. :)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

June is hard for me but I will try. I have a girlfriend in down there that I have not seen in a while. It is about a 3 hour trip from glen burnie.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I'm leaning towards June 7th but as mentioned, it's not yet "set in stone".

I might just be able to do this if it was June 7th. I've been watching the other threads with the visits to Lancaster County nurseries and a trip to Longwood Gardens. No can do for me and it's killing me, sounds like so much fun :( Looked at mapquest - groan, it's a 5 hr drive, but the 'wheels' are spinning - I have a friend in Gloucester who has been begging me to visit her gardens for years - even promised that if I finally made it there she would make plans to visit her friends gardens while I'm there (Pamela Harper!!!). So...a trip to Accomac might just be the incentive I need to take a break and spend the weekend in the area. Plus, I would love to see all the work you've done Jody with the new house and gardens and heck, finally be able to meet another "Mainiac" LOL June seems like a it's a long ways off, but it will be here before we know it and I'll definitely be watching this thread!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Jenn
I definately know how that 3 hr drive is... the house in MD is in Pasadena and I drive back and forth between the 2 every week.

rcn I know how you feel... I can't do those trips either.

[ quote ] So...a trip to Accomac might just be the incentive I need to take a break and spend the weekend in the area [ /quote ]
There is a hotel about 2-3 miles from the house, right off rt 13 ;)

Meeting another "Mainiac" would be sweet! I used to get up there a couple of times a year, but the last several years have just been too busy, now I'm lucky if I make it once a year. If my mom is here (and not in ME where she prefers to be in the summer) then you can laugh at her accent and feel like your at home again, LOLOL.

Aiken, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd like to join in, and early June could work well for me. I'm gone most of April, but will return early May.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Meeting another "Mainiac" would be sweet!

LOL, your mom's Maine accent would surely be a treat :) Oh, what I would give to spend some time in Maine during the summer. Unfortunately, lately it seems the only available time I have to spend in Maine is during December or January - definitely not my favorite months to be there :( I really NEED to try and squeeze in a trip sometime though, there's a fantastic new botanical garden in Boothbay I'm anxious to visit! http://www.mainegardens.org/

Lewes, DE(Zone 7b)

There's a chance I could make this - and June 7 is better than most other dates. I'll keep an eye on the thread. Thanks!

Princess Anne, MD(Zone 7b)

I would love to come! Accomac is an easy drive from Princess Anne. I do it all the time. I'm just in the process of starting most of my veggie, herb and flower seeds, and have tons of flats, grow lights, etc. with which to grow them. Can you suggest what I should start more of for the swap? I've never been to one before, but I'm already excited!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone! Glad to see everyone here :)

noneebee; just bring what ever you have extra of. I know when I start seeds I always end up with way more plants than I can use, LOL. I was going to wait until closer, but I'll start a swap thread so you and anyone that wants to start extra seeds can list what they can offer and start them with plenty of time.

I've had a few dmails from people that are either new to gardening and/or never been to a swap before.

Please, don't worry that you may not have anything to offer. Come on out and play plants with us. All that is required for you to bring is a smile :) Half the fun is getting to meet other crazy gardeners and I can almost guarentee that you will go home with more plants than you can get planted in a weekend. Trust me when I say that when I (and most gardeners I know) bring plants to a swap we do not want to bring them back home.

I am so looking forward to meeting everyone. I think my DH is almost as excited as I am... and he doesn't even garden, LOLOL!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I wish I could go (sobbbbb) but my first craft show of the year is first Saturday in June and I need the "cabbage." (LOL) So Lancaster will have to do. Have fun in Va you-ins.

Virginia Beach, VA

I like to join if I can ride with someone. Jody can you post it at the hosta forum? Pot luck would be good. i had been to Jody's I am very excited!!How about having a cookout? I will check this thread again . Bellie

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

Sadly, I must pass; nephew in PA is graduating that weekend. Sounds like y'all are gonna have a terrific time-enjoy!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Button I wish you could make it but understand completely!... and I really wish I could go on the Lancaster adventure with you :( It's just not "in the cards" this time.

bellie! Looking forward to seeing you again! We can certainly cook out if everyone would like, have a huge grill out back. You've got to make me some more of those awsome eggrolls you brought the last time! They are wonderful!
I've got the gazebo almost rescreened so all food stuffs can be safe from bugs ;)

Sorry you can't make it plantmover; but congrats to your nephew! My oldest niece graduated last year :)

Virginia Beach, VA

I order the eggrolls from a friend . We can plan on what to bring later. Bellie

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 3:09 PM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I've started a "trade list" for anyone that would like pre arranged trades and would like to starting addit to it:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/823783/

Crossville, TN

I have this listed in the Round up's...ya'll have fun...wish I cvould be there too...I'd stop in and visit old friends. Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jo!

Raleigh, NC

do you mind if I try to come? I can't make the RU in Asheville NC; I agreed to work an iris show here that day. but I should be able to get away for June 7th, I think.

Probably don't have any interesting hostas to trade, but have a rather large quantity of TB iris. would that be something I could trade with? (I sort of filled the veggie garden with them last year)

sounds like a pleasant enough drive. I've never been to the VA "outer banks" that I recall.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

WOW Jody!!!!!

Thomas Gardens is just around the corner from me!!!!!!! There is another nursery on Rt. 175 going towards Chincoteague, Wallops Island, Assateague on the right called "DENNIS NURSERY" They have good prices there on most stuff.
I'll bring seeds, soups, nuts, whatever, I'll be there on the 7th of June.

Pamspace

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

bonjon, we'd love to have you join us! :) The more the merrier.

No hosta needed, LOL. Iris sound wonderful!

noneebee... how goes the seed sowing? I'm heading out to the GH right now to check on mine. :) What kind of veggies are you sowing? Any chance you might have an extra tomato plant?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Morning Pam! I love Thomas's, they have a great selection and are the sweetest folks. I must drive by your house alllll the time, LOL. We should get together for lunch, plant talk or even better, plant shopping! sometime :)

I think I went to Dennis' once when we first got the place here and I was exploring. I completely forgot about them and have never been back. I'll have to go check them out again next time I have a nursery shopping day ;)

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Jody,

It's a date! I'm available most week-ends and I would love to meet up with you somewhere.

Pam

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

POTS!

Anybody need pots? I'm cleaning in the yard and have more than I know what to do with. I'm sure bellie will want some... anyone else? If not they are going dump bound, just too many of them.

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

This has really gotten me interested. I attended the swap at Hart's in the Shenandoah's last year and it was a blast. June 7th might be okay. Unfortunately, I can't definitely commit until I see when my daughter's twins are born. I've committed to going out to the Seattle area and staying with her a couple of weeks. If it all works out, I'll be back long before June 7th.

RCN: I've been meaning to tell you that last year I followed your directions for beautifying plastic pots and was thrilled with the results. Also, DH and I went to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay around Labor Day and they are fantastic. You'll love them.

Betty

Virginia Beach, VA

please do not throw those pots , I will get them . Thnak you, Bellie

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hope you can make it Betty. Congrats to you and your daughter! How exciting... twins!!! :) :)

bellie, do you want all sizes or just the 1 gals like last time? I've got oodles of 2", 4" as well as others that need to go to.

Virginia Beach, VA

Jody,
all sizes. Thank you. Bellie

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Betty, happy that your plastic pots turned out great :) No more painting of pots for me this year, I've probably got enough now for the next ten years! NOW I really HAVE to get to Coastal Maine Gardens...I remember when the project was just a dream on paper and can't believe what they've accomplished in such a short time!

Debbie

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

ok bellie :) Maybe I can deliver them to you sometime before the swap.

Virginia Beach, VA

Sounds good!!!! We have something planned on the long weekend so it is out. PLMK. bellie

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Debbie/Betty what did you do to the pots? I have so darned many I'd love to do something with some of them.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Jody, here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/704141/. I did have a few that the paint chipped off but easily disguised by turning the pot around :) My favorites are the ones that I painted with the "stone textured paint". The spray paint isn't cheap, but what a difference, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new pot! FYI, in case I didn't mention it on that thread, I primed the pots first with a base coat and then sprayed the textured paint. Show us your results if you tackle a painting project :)

Debbie

Princess Anne, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey Jody - sorry for the delay in replying. I'm such a novice on this site, I "lost" the thread somehow, and couldn't figure out how to find it! Anyway, I'm growing seedlings of Stupice, Cherokee Purple and Eva Purple Ball for regular tomatoes, and Amish Paste and Myona for plums. All organic, open-pollinated and heirloom varieties. I'd love to throw in seeds to bring of any of them if you want. Can't figure out how to list what I'm bringing without posting to everybody at Dave's Garden, so I guess it'll just have to be a surprise....

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Well I am a real amateure at tomatoes, I will be growing it for my mom who loves them fresh, sliced or in salad etc. So if you have an extra of something she would like, I'd love one.

Surprises are fun ;)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jody I will be watching your thread. I'll talk to Ric when he gets home. We will just be comming home on June 2nd from a rather long trip. So we will need to think about the turn around time. But I would love to come so we will have to discuss it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.