Lodestar (white) Rhodendron

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Today I purchased (from Costco) a Lodestar Rhododendron in a 7 or so gallon pot for $22.00. I will replace a beautiful pink one, which after 40 or so years died from something. I do not plan to plant this one in the same location and the tag has generic planting instructions, but thought I'd check with the experts here for further help.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Any experts to help out there?

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

well, I think that the experts have avoided since it's sort of hard to say, especially without knowing what the other one died of. But, the fact that it made it forty years is a pretty good sign. You live in an area that's a little warm, in general, for rhody's... but lodestar is a tough variety. So long as it's planted in a place in your yard that best accomodates shade in the afternoon and gets the coolest night time temps in the summer it should be ok. I'm sure the instructions say that good drainage is vital. Rhody's are susceptable to various types of root rot that poor drainage fascilitates. But also, if the night time temperatures don't cool below the 70's and 80's during the summer, it allows more fungi to grow in the roots and that is why you would want to place it somewhere where it has the best chance to cool off of the evening. Rhody's love fertilizer that's well balanced and slightly acidic and they detest clay soil. Basically if rhody's are already growing well around your neighborhood, it should be fine. If you want to be doubly sure about planting it then I would suggest calling one of the rhododendron experts. I like greer gardens (1-800-548-0111) http://www.greergardens.com/ , but there are plenty of others out there .

good luck

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Berkeley's actually a great climate for rhodies...farther inland or farther south in California maybe they wouldn't do as well, but right around the San Francisco bay is a perfect climate for them.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I agree! It's a beautiful area. I visit my grandparents there as often as possible and always drool over what they can grow there that I can't here. It's even more fun for me when they are here and on the rare occasion I get to tell them that they can look but cannot grow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.