2 pink Castorbeans - need ID please

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
I am basically new to vines and climbers and need some help.

Planted alot of seeds a few days ago including pink castorbeans from 2 members.
Now that they sprouted I see the leaves are very different.Could anyone please ID these for me ?
Want to plant them into large pots so I would like to find out how many I can put into the pots .
Thank you,
Brig

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unless young leaves look a lot different than mature foliage, neither of those are castor beans. And whatever they are they also don't look like they're the same type of plant as each other, looks to me like you've got 2 completely different things there, neither of which are castor beans. (and I wouldn't call castor beans climbers...so I wonder if the common name got mixed up and it's supposed to be some other thing with bean in the name?)

Here's what castor beans look like http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=ricinus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=communis&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

One of my friends had a castor bean bush a few years ago and I remember the nice shaped foliage.
Unless the one on the left will be more shaped lile a castor bean bush leaf ?

Even if I pot them up now can they easily be transplanted into a larger pot later or do they dislike it ?
I don't want to put them into the ground later inthe season,rather giving them a headstart before the weather is nice enough to do so.

You can tell I am NOT :-) anxious to get started.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I looked through PF and found a pic of a castor bean with its seed leaves and first true leaves: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/4267/ Assuming those are still the seed leaves I'd wait until the first true leaves come out and see what they look like, but if your seed leaves already fell off and these are the first true leaves then you definitely don't have castor beans.

As far as easily transplanting or not, a lot depends on what you actually have! Most plants are fine with transplanting, and since you've got 2 in that pot there I'd probably put them in separate pots fairly soon rather than waiting until their roots are all tangled up in each other. There are a few things that resent transplanting but since the majority of plants are fine with it I think your chances are pretty good.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi again,
the picture I posted earlier was just for taken the picture,I don't have 2 seeds in one cup.They are all startet in the pellets.

here are 10 out of 12 that I planted on the 27th Febr.
They do look like the castor bean picture you linked me to.Mine do still have the first leaves and not the first true leaves.So I think You have one ID for me.Thank you !

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

showing nice white roots.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is the other unknown type,4 out of 6,planted on the 27th Febr.

I will pot them up into 4 1/2 inch pots and see what I got when the second set of leaves show up.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
(Zone 6a)

The unknown type looks like a type of Ipomoea, possibly Ipomoea alba AKA: Moonflower Vine. If the seeds were large and beige thats probably what they are.

Steven

edited to add it could also be Ipomoea turbinata, they have large black seeds.
Just a couple of many possibilities.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 7:11 PM

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Steven,
Thank you !
that would be lovely if it was another moonflower.I have startet the purple/pink variety.I will keep you all posted .

(Zone 6a)

I had the purple moon flower vine(Ipomoea turbinata) as well last year! It's really nice! Your seedlings look nice and healthy as well!

Steven

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.