Granson and baseball

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to let all my friends here know about this.

Lagrange High, my home town, is having a tournament this week. Teams from Al, FL, and Ga particapate. Last night we played American Heritage, the #6 ranked high school in the nation, according to USA Today. They were leading us 9-3 and my grandson was playing short stop. In the top of the 5th inning after the starting pitcher gave up a home run to the #1 ranked high school player in the nation they brought my grandson in to pitch. The first batter hit a fly ball to right field and the right fielder dropped it for an error. Grandson proceeded to retire the next three that inning and then retired them in order the next inning. He then retired the first two in the next inning. That meant if the boy in right field had caught the ball he would have thrown 3 perfect innings against the #6 team in the nation. One of the outs was the #1 ranked player in the USA. He got 2 strikes on him and then he hit a soft grounder to the first baseman for an out. Then the wheels sort of came off for him. He walked a batter and then gave up a single to center and then hit a batter. This loaded the bases and then one of the players hit a monster home run. He had a 2-0 count on the batter and the coach called for a fastball and he should have called for a curve. He pitched 3 innings, struck out 5, and gave up only 2 hits. It would have really been a great pitching performance if he had gotten one more out before the home run. I still think it was an outstanding performance since it was against a ranked team. We won't be playing that caliber of team any time soon. I might add he also is batting 375 for the year with an on base percentage of 500. We start region play next week and hopefully this experience will prepare him for a run at the region crown.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, I was trying to picture the above. Quite exciting. Good boost for yr grandson! He can be proud of himself, playing well against the #6 rated school in US!!!
Tulip

Crossville, TN

Cuz Jim...I think our DGS get their talent from OUR side of the family...My DGS, Andrew, just won First Place in his Science FAir....but was more excited about making the Varsity (7th & 8th graders) Baseball team!! They also asked him to play some on B Team so as to help out the "little kids"...LOL

Congratulations to the Grandson. Good going! Jo

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Jim, your granson's performance on the mound sounds like an outstanding example of a pitcher pitching with ice water running through his veins. Those other nationally ranked teams went away with great respect for your gs's pitching abilities. He was probably looked at by scouts too. I'm pulling for him to continue to have much success on the mound. I'm looking forward to reading more game recaps as the season progresses. Starting the season off with a tournament playing nationally ranked teams can only help them toward winning a region title. GATA Lagrange High!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, you could be a news writer! I love the play by play and good for him!! :)
Outstanding!! :)))

I Love watching my son in little league more then going to see the pros play. I really get into the games and hoot and holler for our team. I really need to stop calling plays from the sidelines though.. I am trying to keep my mouth shut.. but I get excited! Lat year when our team made the playoffs, I yelled so much I could barely talk and didn't sound right after.

It's so much fun! :) By the end of the season, we've had our fill of hotdogs for the year!!! :)

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Just an update on this post.

The team grandson pitched against ended up as the #1 ranked team in the nation.

Also the player that hit a soft bouner to first for an out was the #3 drafted player in the major league draft thursday that included college and high school players.

Some feat for grandson. He still has one more year in high school. His coach told Debra, my dil, that college coaches had already been calling wanting him to commit to their school.

Crossville, TN

And to think,....He's kin to me!! Congratulations to him on this achievement. I know how proud you must be. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.