What are you doing on the wind swept and wet day?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Today is transplant day for me. Time to pot up a ton of plants I have.

My eggplants are absolutely beautiful this year! Tomatoes are doing well.

Fell behind on the greenhouse project so I am scrambling for space. We actually had a little snow this morning.

BB

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm grooming orchids and trying to get up the energy to go to the monthly American Orchid Society judging at the botanical garden. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to think of something fantastic to cook to assuage my disappointment about being inside.

Did get snow peas planted two days ago in the Cleveland garden. The deer and rabbits were scolding me for being late putting out the salad bar. Discovered the dog/s had dug up part of them the following day (*reminds self to have gates closed next time).

I'm cooking shrimp creole, fried catfish and red beans for supper.

Mrs Bronx and I have a tradition that we brought with us for NY. If it snows, beans are on the menu! Along with pork chops, fried chicken or fried fish.

Where ae the botanical gardens?

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi BB, The Atlanta Botanical Garden is near Piedmont Park. Here's a link. http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org/home.do
The state botanical garden is in Athens at UGA. I haven't been there yet, but have been to Atlanta a few times. Mostly for the orchids.
Today I am hopefully going to plant some flowering annuals inside. Salvia, celosia, petunias, purple millet (I have old seed, hope it sprouts), Mex. torch, bachelor's button. Just have to get up the courage to go out to the cold shed for the potting mix. LOL.
Becky

PS I love your menu for today. Comfort food for cold weather. Great stuff.

Skipped the judging because the parking scene is usually bad and didn't feel like walking blocks in the cold. My orchids sure do look purdy though. Treat yourself to a trip to the botanical garden; it's so lovely. BB, we had venison, spicy sausage and red beans last night. Mr Pop made homemade chappati and we stuffed them with all the fixings burrito-style (Indian burritos?). We must be on the same page because I was thinking buttermilk fried tallapia, blackeye peas tomato pie and salad for tonight.

Becky, I went out for five minutes to get some orchid stuff and froze. That was the clincher in my decision to not trek downtown. Thanks for providing the link. Haven't been to the one in Athens yet either, but I promised myself a trip this before summer is over.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looks like I'm going to Chuck e cheese in a little while.

Been there, done that. It's almost as painful as paying college tuition for two kids. Lord when does it end? Whack a mole for me!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Never made it to the shed. Went out to fill up a bird feeder, froze, came back in and in I stayed. Tomorrow it should be warmer. Y'all are making me hungry. I'd better go make dinner.
MaypopLaurel, it never ends. You get rid of one generation and their offspring move in with ya. (Well almost.)

Becky,
Do I know it? We had two late life kids after having one "normal life" kid. So we have 33, 22, and 21 (the last two are 9 1/2 months apart as we had no time to lose and, ok, really what can I say that would make sense here?). So, when the oldest came back from hiking the Appalachian Trail we said, " You can live in the guest room as a guest or live in the basement as a whatever". We were astounded when he threw a mattress on the floor and declared the basement "HOME". Well... live and learn, this will not be an option for the next two. My advice to those behind me...consider changing the locks.

P.S. Hope you understand that all postings are true, but humor is intended. I adore all my kids.

I went to San Diego to see some sunshine! It is cactus blooming season and the spring weather there was wonderful!!

GGG

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Breezy but lovely today. I'm potting up plants including passalong pink, late mums. I wonder if they are Clara Curtis? Trying to decide how greedy to be and whether to try and divide some new perennials from last yr like Goodness Grows Veronica. I can't exactly see a good place with it still in the ground, but it covers a good sized area. And does anyone grow Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccifolium )? It's native but I had never seen it until 2 months after I paid $13 for it. And that's when I spotted it in a ditch. It has 3 rosettes up and I'd like to divide it, but once again, afraid of being greedy. Since there was only one in the ditch, and it wasn't my ditch!, I'm thinking it doesn't spread too freely.

Anyone going to the Hall County Master Gardeners Expo April 11-12 at Chicopee Ag Ctr in Gainesville? It was great last year, spring and fall. I spent way too much money but there was a very good selection of plants from about 2 dozen nurseries.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.hcmgs.com/page/page/5175722.htm

That expo looks fun.. How were the prices?? I can't stand overpaying!! :))

Susan

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

The prices varied considerably since there were several nurseries. I thought about it Friday night and regretted not buying some things so my DH and I went back on Sat.! There was one vendor with all herbs. One was a charity that has rehab folks growing the plants. Their prices were quite good. Some specialty nurseries and garden art and accessories as well. They also have free mulch! Bring your truck. I found it well worth a trip, and marked my calendar to be sure and not miss it this year.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

oh gosh... now you've really gone and tempted me :) I would bring the truck.. but probably couldn't fit mulch for all the plants I'd get!.... But what kind of mulch is it??? I will put it on my calendar :)

Susan

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, I don't know about the mulch's type since our truck was busy hauling plants. Maybe the website tells you or Gainesville city could. I'm guessing chopped up debris from the trimmings they pick up.

I gave a presentation to the Lawrenceville Gardening Club last Friday and someone invited Mrs Bronx and I. It's the week before the our South GA roundup so I don't know if we can make it.

But it sure looked interesting.

BB

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB and all in "listening" range, pls try to go. I think you'll find it worthwhile. For me, living out in the hinterlands, I found nurseries that I did not know existed.

We have two spacious upstairs bedrooms/one bath available as a B&B situation at our cottage in Cleveland GA (king and two twins plus additional accommodations possible). Twenty-five minutes from Gainesville, fifteen from Helen. Seventeen acres, private road, pond and trails. Not available as a vacant rental. Must love lots of large friendly dogs and not be allergic to cats ( we have four of the former and two of the later). We love and welcome kids and do science stuff in our garden for kids and adults. We keep multiple 'scopes for viewing natural finds and have cooking and wood working classes by request Feel free to Dmail anytime.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.