what have you bought so far? part three

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

The 3 beauties I'm currently bidding/winning on...and the one is going to be my biggie this year, come heck or highwater....

Up first:

'BlueThroat'

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Up second:

'Painted Bunting'

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

This is the one I'm going to drop some serious cash on...I touched base earlier on the DL's with the "sharks tooth" edging, this one has it, and it's in the purple/lavender color scheme...yippeeee

'Stippled Starship'

(Zone 4a)

Very pretty flowers!!!!

The only thing I have bought so far this year are some seeds.....which I plan on starting next weekend...woohooo!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh you are going to pay big bucks for those! LOL very nice but I know what they go for!!! I think you should start crossing some of your own Thom. I have dabbled in it for fun, nothing serious. I do have a ton of seeds that were sent to me from some ladies who cross their own all the time. I'll never have enough time to grow them all but I just know there are some winners in this bunch of seeds. One lady is into spider and UFO types, so im guessing hers will be come out tall with big flowers!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I bought seeds also, they should be arriving shortly. I bought from PineTree and Terretorial seed companies. I won't list what I ordered, since they are all veggie seeds, and no annual/perennial flower seeds.
I'm getting excited, the bulbs are starting to poke their wee little heads out of the ground...yeah....!!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos, Thom. I hope you win.

Lots and lots of daffodils here are up about 4" and crocuses are blooming.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Pixie, the last one...*gulp*...I've wanted one of the "sharks edged" DL's for sometime now, but never wanted to pay for one...then this happened...lol. I'll bid on that one until I'm blue in the fingers...lol.

The first one, I should win, unless the person who is bidding against me wakes up at this time and rebids, there is an hour left in that particular auction...the other 2 auctions...lol...6 and 7 days...eeeeek...

I'm going to attempt to make some crosses within the next few years. There are some older DL cultivars I have that I think would look stunning with some of these newer flower forms. Imagine 'Primal Scream' mixed with a DL that has a "sharks tooth" edge. or...'Moonlit Masquerade' teamed up with 'Circle Upon Circle'....or a butterfly DL....oooo....my brain is racing...

I just put an order in for berries...yeah...that should be arriving in April sometime.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm so jealous of all of you peeps in the higher zones...I won't see color from my crocus and daffs for about a month after yours are all done...lol.

Sort of progressive interplanting amongst the NE Forum...lol.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thom, im like the last one to get crocus or Daffs besides Lee Ann in Canada. Most of the time it feels like everyone is a month ahead of me.

Have you seen "Franks Star of Bethlehem'? thats what you call "chicken fat" on the edges. Why would they give it such a discusting name??
http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsgnew&1205021593

(Zone 4a)

Yup you guys certainly are ahead of me too - I am in Canada as well.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Pixie, I never heard of it referred to as chicken fat before...LOL...but, now that I look at that particular DL, I can see why it would be.

Don't be jealous, Thom. We can all enjoy our plants regardless of the time they bloom. I hate the idea of zone envy and the few people that used to tease me about being "so late" with plants are the people I no longer write to.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

What I think is funny, and a little fascinating, my gardening friend, James, lives less than a mile away from me...parallel...he doesn't live up a mountain/hill, further away from the river, etc...it's as if I could make a right out of my home, and drive a mile, in a straight line, I would be at James' home. Every year, without fail, everyone one of my bulbs, and perennials will bloom about 1 1/2 weeks, to 2 weeks sooner than his. He gets a little bit more shade than I do, but, almost 2 weeks...AND, my blooms last longer than his do. Again, I find all things plants cool, neat, awesome, and interesting....

OMG...forgot to tell everyone...I was accepted into the Master Gardeners program...my classes will be starting March 17th!

The first set of questions, I didn't realize that there was a "pretest" was...ya ready?
Following the taxonomy and nomeneculture(sp?) of plants, Acer pennsylvanica 'can't remember cultivar'...answer the following 3 questions.
What is the genus? What is the species? and What is the cultivar?

I was like..OMG...Give me the gold star.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Then this class should be a breeze for you Thom! Congrats!!!!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I fumbled on the insect, pathogen, and compounds questions though :-(

I won the bid I believe...woohoo

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Congrats on your DL bids so far and getting into the MG class. Those DL are soooo nice, I'm a sucker for the lav/purple group. And don't even talk to me about spiders, yummy. I do like the ruffles and flourishes on some of the new hybrids but there is still nothing quite as elegant as a plain old DL bloom waving in the breeze on a tall stem.

ngam - I totally agree with you about the elegant oldies!!!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice ones Thom. I love the purples and pinks. Too many yellows, oranges and creams.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I think I can list, on one hand, my favorite DL's...yes, it's true. I can probably do the same for Hosta. Top 3 DL's, 'Canadian Border Patrol', 'Moonlit Masquerade', 'Pandoras Box.' I have a red spider, can not remember the cultivar, but I think it may be 'Red Ribbons'...will have to take pics this year and find out. Some of these DL's have been around for awhile, they aren't really 'common' but they aren't really 'uncommon'...Each one holds something near and dear to me. Nuts and bolts of DL's though, I like almost all of them.
I lost the bid...she snuck in there and bid on me when I was walking Theta...when I went to walk her, there was 21 minutes left...she outbid me by $2...*&^%...that's all I'm gonna say.
Happy bidding to anyone else who is caught up in the craziness.
I just got my Klehms catalog today...lol....muahahaha

You named your dog after a Greek letter, Thom?!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Thom, I love those purples. sorry you lost :(

Victor, on an earlier question, my little lasagna bed was only about 4 inches deep (high?). should have been more, but it was all I had to work with.

Thanks Jan.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Victor-Yep...Theta is my Kom. Iris is our Pug. Ivy is our Abissinian...I always spell that wrong.

I usually try to name pets something that no one else would have, or has...2 Cocker Spaniels that I have owned: Adae (pronounced A day...lol.) and Bucca (named after the licorice liquor) I had 4 parrots: Zoomie, Krace, Aggie, and Vida. And now, the current pups, and kitty.

Imagine, if and when I start to hybridize and register cultivars? lol...it'll be fun naming them all.

More bids in the works...

Thomaston, CT

I MUST stay away from auction site--Thom, those pics are gorgeous--I hope when you get a large supply, you will sell them on this site--and please, bid on all the purple--my favs! Have just sent in my order to Fieldstone (near Pix)--I hope the greenhouses are still there after all the snow! Anyway, I did send for phlox 'Dusterlohe' which is a mulberry purple, fern 'Brandford Beauty', & monarda 'Claire Grace'. All this because of an unexpected check for $50. Of course, I could have put it in the bank--not!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm arriving a bit late to the conversation but ... congrats Thom on being accepted into the Master Gardener class!!

Anna and I went out and did the grocery shopping yesterday. She kept saying, "Mom, stay out of the gardening section." When we got to the check-out, what was in the cart but a bunch of peat pots and some MG seeds. And, no! I did NOT put them in the cart.

(That's my girl!)

Gotta love those genes!!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Absolutely!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Well it's obviously proof of a good up bringing Candyce! LOL

Now for more confessions.....

Final Touch Daylily @ Walmart bag says 3 roots for $4.97
Caladiums 'Kathleen' @ Walmart 3 tubers for $3.34

Online @ Dutch Garden's:
Black Beauty Sambucus
Dwarf Sorbet Lily Mix 10 bulbs
Lemon Queen Helianthus 1 set/=3
Samur Lily 3 Free Gift w/&50.00 purchase

I have Final Touch and it's very nice.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I've always liked it and the price was just to good to pass up! Lord knows I don't need another daylily.

I have Lemon Queen and like that too. Don't have Black Beauty.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2008 6:05 PM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Thom,
You could name your DL cultivars Rover, Spot, Bowser, Mittens, etc.

How about Spender, Obsession, Psychosis, etc.?!!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Spender!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Victor, is Lemon Q. really tall for you? I was thinking the B.B. Sambucus would be a dramatic backdrop for the L.Q.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2008 6:09 PM

Yes - about seven feet tall.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I fixed your name.....LOL sorry! I hit send to soon and my mind is a mess right now. I'm trying to figure out where I want to plant all this. I almost forgot..went to Sam's club to stock up on supplies and they had plants.
Yup, I now own 1 Blackberry 'Arapaho Thornless', 1 Red Raspberry 'Royalty', 1 Blueberry 'Bluecrop', 1 Red Raspberry 'Heritage Red'. They are all 2 years old and even have some green shoots already! I paid $15.28 for all 4...couldn't say no to that either!

No problem, eleste! At least edibles pay dividends!

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

NOOOOOO!!!!! I had no idea there was a daylily auction site! I took one look and now I'm smitten. Grass, I don't need no stinkin grass....

I'm a known face at a local nursery in Cheshire, always begging them for bargains. Last year most of my plants for my new old house were "throwaways", great way to get stuff cheap and feel like you saved a life. This year I'm getting a discount on Blueberry Sundae DL and Fooled Me DL, before they pot them up. Mmmm, look lusicious, plus a bunch of Astilbe. I just notced the crocus starting to poke up, so hopefully they'll be blooming in another couple of weeks (?). Gotta get pussy willows and lilacs this year, too. Oh, and rhubarb. And asparagus. And....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.