Mexican Flame Vine

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I just bought 6 of these in 4-inch pots today for 1.49 each at a local nursery in Westlake (part of Austin). Does anyone know how long it takes a plant to reach the top of a fence?

Any advice on these? I saw one blooming last summer at ANOTHER nursery and fell in love with the profusion of orange daisy-like flowers.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Connie,
This was a cutting I received from a friend last March. I did not plant it until August. It grows very fast. I am continually cutting it back.

Thumbnail by toy747
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow...that is a really great price.

They are definitely sunlovers, and (as with most plants that really like a lot of water(which these do), they root very easily in a cup of water, also.

They are very cheery, but I've heard in zone 9 or 10 they can get away from you like trumpet vine.

After I heard that, I went to dig mine up, and there were root runners going everywhere!

That said, my neighbor put hers in the ground, and has never complained about it being invasive...
-T

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Toy....oh my...your GORGEOUS flame vine makes me want to "fast-forward" time and see mine look that good!!

Phoenix, AZ

They grow very fast! I've never had it become invasive tho ?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The honeysuckle is definitely invasive here but the Mexican flame vine dies every winter!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I had this one too, and it was very pretty, but the ants, snails, and mealy bugs loved it too, and it required too much pruning for my low-maintenance desires so I took it out.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess I've been very lucky as I haven't had any garden pests yet! I wonder if certain plants "attract" them...and this is one of them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.