Hollyhock photos anyone?

Greenwich, OH

I look forward to spring to arrive soon.One of my favorite flowers are hollyhocks.
I enjoy!any photos of anyones hollyhocks to remind me spring is on its way.
Hopefully!Soon.Here is a photo of one of my double h.hocks from last year.This year,the h.hock should be much taller.

Thumbnail by skimper
Greenwich, OH

Sorry!I must of accidently submitted twice.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

July 10th 2007, single one that I love. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is a tall single peach one that I have grown for along time. I just hope it always comes back. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

*sigh*

I have the seeds..... but that's as far as I've gotten.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a dark pink one I picked up locally. I'm hoping to save seeds and plant them again next fall, since it will probably melt during our summer heat.

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Greenwich, OH

Nice!H.hock photos.I like the dark pink h.hock the edges are ruffley.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Mine are about 2 1/2 feet tall now, no blooms yet. This is from last summer. A single pink and a malva.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

This photo is a little washed out, but here are some more on the other side of my yard, last summer.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Greenwich, OH

Cactuspatch: Nice!pink h.hocks.I like the color combination with the malva.very!pretty!Here is a h.hock that was taken,I believe in 2005?
the h.hock is called peachey keen.This h.hock I removed from the bed and planted new h.hock sedlings last summer.I probably won't see blooms from the new seedlings until next year.This time I planted double h.hocks.

Thumbnail by skimper
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I love peach! I planted doubles one year and they were beautiful. had some peach ones too. But now everything that comes back is pink singles. I guess I need to buy some new seed.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's my surviving plant from a packet of 'Happy Lights' mix. It's been back for several years running, which mystified me until somebody said that the older, single ones are sometimes perennial. :-)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I originally planted doubles, but they eventually came back as singles and a few are not only perennial but evergreen in my yard! I love hollyhocks, I love the way they change constantly in my yard.

Greenwich, OH

Critterologist:Your h.hock is awesome!I love the frilly edges and color.
Cactuspatch:H.hocks are one of my favorite flowers.The hummingbirds seem to enjoy the blooms in the evening.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and the bees & other critters love it during the day! If you click on that photo, you'll see a bee (a honeybee, I think) and an assassin bug... :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Great photos! Afraid that I don't have any hh pic's on this computer, sorry.

I started a double from seed and it flowered as expected, but came back as a single the 2nd year. I enjoy waiting and wondering what I'm going to get from year to year.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I have a few hollyhock photos........This one looks a lot like Patti's.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more.

early_bloomer

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, I really like the second photo, E_B! What a pretty mix. Mine are not that full yet.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

E_B, that is a total wow! Mine is much less interesting than yours with all those subtle colorings. I hope to have more this year. Where is Boojum's pictures of her great collection? I am a sucker for any singles. But I have been having trouble keeping any of the blackish ones. I have some more seedlings that I started last year growing in the GH. Always hope. Patti

Greenwich, OH

Early_Bloomer:Gorgeous!hollyhocks.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Early_Bloomer, what a beautiful patch of hh's!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Love them all :)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow!!! EB, that is some picture of Hollyhocks! How many plants are ion there and how old are they? Mine always look so bare nekked!

Suzy

london England, United Kingdom

Lovely Hollyhocks everyone.
Here is one from last summer.

Thumbnail by terriculture
london England, United Kingdom

another one.

Thumbnail by terriculture
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow - the maroon one looks almost like the hardy Hibiscus. Very nice!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful everyone!!

I love hollyhocks and so does the green leaf beetle we've had for a couple of years now.

These were seeds sown from a neighbor's wonderful selection.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful hollyhocks, everyone!

Made me go down to the basement and start more hollyhock seeds under lights!

And early_bloomer, you must tell us where you found your seeds/plants. What a beautiful color grouping!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, those are lovely!

You know, as stunning as some of those huge double HH's are, I think the ones that really charm me are the old fashioned singles. And what a bonus if they turn out to be perennial! :-)

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I've had these hollyhocks for quite a few years now and I really can't recall where I got most of them. Some I started from seed and others were plants I purchased. I have 10-12 color variations and most are peaches, pinks, yellows and whites. They reseed profusely and there are several patches of them so I would be happy to save seeds this year and send them to anyone who wants them.

early_bloomer

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

My eye goes for the singles as well -- not that I'd turn down any doubles, of course!

I love the photos -- thanks for posting. Guess I'd better get a move on with my hh seeds as well.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

EB has what appear to me to be the fig leaf hollyhocks -- see the leaves? They aren't the traditional HH leaves. It is Alcea ficifolia. The traditional (most common) Figleaf variety is 'Happy Lights' and is avalilable from www.seedman.com.

It is my understanding that figleaf hollyhocks have the unique trait of blooming on not only somewhat shorter stalks, but also the flowers are snuggled in closer together at the stalk, and more flowers blooming on the stalk, especially at one time.

Conversely, BillyPorter's are Alcea rosea. It is more common and comes in many, many different strains (mixes) like Chaters Doubles, Chater's Singles, Summer Carnival, Old Farmyard, and The double, Peaches and Dreams.

To make things a little more complicated, it is said the A. ficifolia and A. rosea can cross, and with all the hollyhocks seeds in trades and swaps, it is very possible that a pack of traded seed you might have could be a cross of both kinds.

Suzy

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow billy..so pretty :)

Early.so nice :)

oh boy Suzy... your light years ahead of me growing these beauties!! :)

Susan

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Does anyone know if "Mini Hollyhocks" are also bi-annual?

I've been searching everywhere for that info, and i just can't find it.

I oredered some red Mini's, and i'd really hate it if they are only Bi-Annuals.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh. Seedman has so many pretty hollyhocks. Thanks for the link. Hollyhock catalog link: http://www.seedman.com/alcea.htm

My 'Indian Springs' don't seem to want to germinate. I wonder how long I will have to wait for them...?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Organizing old photos and ran across this one to share. My neighbors hollyhocks. I gathered some seed but they were singles and not the luscious doubles you see here.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good eye Illoquin! I was going to plant the figleaf at one time but never did. Early's are gorgeous! I think a cross could result in some really nice colors!

Thank you Soulgardenlove!

I have Seedman bookmarked!

Cactus, those are gorgeous!

Greenwich, OH

Cactus patch:Your neighbors double pink h.hocks are pretty!
Early_bloomer:The white h.hocks looks alot like the new york scallop fig leaf h.hock.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Suzy..........My fig leaf holy hocks are mixed in the same patches with the traditional variety h. hocks so it is entirely possible they might have crossed.

skimper.........Thanks for the ID. Back when I planted my h. hocks I didn't really keep track of what was what. As my interest in gardening has increased I've tried to keep a better handle on things.

billyporter..........that's a nice looking group of h. hocks you have there.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.