Recommend a good peach colored heuchera.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have heuchera 'Amber Waves' and it still survives but is very small and I would like a little larger version that is a more vigorous grower. It will be near h.'Lime Ricky' and in front of three h.'Fireworks'. Any good suggestions? The tiny little plant in the middle of the pic is poor 'Amber Waves'.

Thumbnail by ngam
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Not sure Dolce Peach Melba is any bigger, but it's certainly peachy!
I have several clustered together because I like the color. Mine looked great last Spring, then seemed to struggle a bit mid summer. Not sure what that was all about.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

The darker Heuchera (Purple Petticoats) behind the Peach Melbas also struggled mid Summer, I should point out. Not sure if it had something to do with the tree roots in this bed or what. I dug them up and removed the parts that were dying and replanted them. I've read conflicting things about how deep they should be planted, so I don't know if that was also part of my problem....will be curious to see what happens this year with them all.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Victor, I can't believe you didn't recommend 'Caramel' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/158460/

ngam, 'Caramel' is one of the H. villosa hybrids and they're much more vigorous than 'Amber Waves'. 'Christa' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/160686/' is one of the new villosa hybrids that should be showing up in nurseries this year. Another amber colored Heuchera, Dolce Crème Brûlé', has done well in our gardens. I like the almost glossy foliage of this one. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/100291/ One last suggestion, 'Ginger Ale' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126352/. The foliage isn't as "peachy" as the others but I really like the different color of the flowers - almost lemon yellow. The golden spring foliage however surprised me, has taken on a rose-burgundy color over the winter.

(Zone 4a)

I don't have any suggestions on types but if you were to plant a few together it will look like a bigger plant.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Divide what you have and plant them deeper - it works, honest! I have some Amber Waves and Marmalade and like them with Chocolate Ruffles for the contrast.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

To add what Pirl said, the garden manager that I worked with last year, has buttloads of heuchs...Once they start to get anywhere near stalky, she would either hill them up, or dig, cut, and plant deeper. Should work...I should go up to her home and take some pictures, her gardens, especially since they are almost 80% woodland gardens are absolutely spectacular. I think she has over 400 hosta varieties, all of the heuchs, and more astilbe than I knew existed. If I remember to, I will post pictures of Susans gardens sometime during the summer.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh boy, lots of good stuff here. I will keep an eye out for the villosa hybrids, 'Caramel' sounds good to me. Also Pirl you say to plant deeper which seems logical to me when you look at how a heuchera grows, but so much of the advice is to keep the crown high to avoid winter wet. Last year with the drought and odd weather the heuchs did not seem as nice as previous years so I am hoping for more normal results this season. I just moved the Amber Waves last spring and think I will try to find a couple other smaller varieties to plant with it to try to make a better feature of its color, maybe a couple of contrasting leaf colors like a green and a burgundy to move there too.

While I love the peach colors when it comes to Heuchera they just don't seem as robust and glad to be alive as the darker ones do. Chocolate Ruffles, pictured here, is at the front of the Japanese maple.

Thumbnail by pirl
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Pirl your garden always looks so pulled together and well thought out. I agree the darker purple and bronze toned plants are larger and more vigorous in every respect. I have a couple CR and the color on the under side of the leaves in spring just glows when any light hits it. Obsidian is another good dark one that likes a lot more sun than most heuchs. Two that I lie for the flowers as well as the leaves are 'Vesuvius' and 'Fireworks'. The hummers like them very much also and they bloom for a long time. 'Lime Ricky' was new last year and the bright green glows like a spotlight in a shadier spot. I hope it will return well this spring.This is 'Obsidian'. It is in full sun.

Thumbnail by ngam

How beautifully Obsidian goes with the magenta dianthus (I hope that's what it is!).

Thanks for the compliment. I do love looking at the glowing dark ones since the peach ones just don't have the glow. The ruffled ones are glorious. I'll be hunting for them this spring. Here's my Obsidian. I doubt I'd ever move it from this spot.

Citronella keeps the green color and leaves so beautifully all winter long. I was stunned.

It is so confusing that when we're initially planting it can't be too deep for Heucheras but when they're divided they have to go deeper and that old gnarly stuff has to be removed since it's of no use.

Thumbnail by pirl
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh nice Pirl, I like it with the creeping jenny, really makes the color pop. That purple flower in the pic is 'Purple Pillow' geranium.

It's wonderful - the Purple Pillow geranium!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Deb, I thought immediately about Caramel, but I can't say I would describe it as peach colored. It has peach tones to it but I read ngam's request as more of a full peach colored one.

I have Obsidian in a container and I love it. Takes full sun. I usually surround it with peachy colored annuals and other contrasting colors.

There are very nice peach - orange coleus that would be great with Obsidian, too, Victor.

As long as it can take full sun, I would try it.

I know Victor posted a link to 'Marmalade' but I'll add my own photo so you can see if it's peach enough for you.

Thumbnail by pirl
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

A nice one, I like them all . That's the real problem isn't it. I will have to check all these out on my trip to the local nursery. I can only go a few times during the season so I try to check out all the new goodies.They usually have a large selection of new plants to make me take home more than I should. This week should be the supply run, then maybe a month from now another spring plant run. I do miss going every week but that might be a good thing.

Quoting:
Also Pirl you say to plant deeper which seems logical to me when you look at how a heuchera grows, but so much of the advice is to keep the crown high to avoid winter wet./

I know, that's what confuses me too. When you say dig them up and plant deeper, how much deeper are we talking about? That center part does seem to start to get pretty tall...

Chocolate Ruffles is one I wanted to try to replace Purple Petticoats, if that continues to decline for me. I like the ruffly edges of those.

If I ever see a lush peach colored one I'll let you know.

Noreaster - it's just an act of bravery that we dig them up, cut off the old parts and really do replant so the bottom good layer of leaves is just a tad above the soil. When you lift one that's been in the same spot for three years you'll probably get 5, 6, 7 or more individual plants from the heuchera so you can afford to experiment with how deeply to plant them.

Last year when PP started to die on me, I dug it up and it just fell apart into about three pieces or so, two of which seemed totally dead. So I just had that one part to replant...hoping I did it deep enough now. It had only been in the ground one year, but it was a more mature plant from the nursery, I think, because the centers were much taller than on the Peach Melbas. Maybe they all need more sun than the spot I have them in, I don't know.

I dug up PP last year and replanted them all in one area so it would appear to be a full plant once again. It worked. Within a week to two weeks this is how it looked.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.