Monolena primulaeflora - Soil and culture help, please

Hi all!

I've just received a Monolena primulaeflora which seems to be coming out of dormancy. Lots of little green sprouts on it.

I'm about to pot it up, but I'm not sure exactly what type of potting mix it should go into. I have a peat-based store bought potting mix, washed coarse sand, orchid bark mix, perlite, and vermiculite. I can mix some or all of those in any way I need to. Care to help me with a recipe? :o)

Any culture information would be very much appreciated, as well!

I'll post a picture of it once I've got it settled in.

Thanks so much!

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Perhaps this link will help: http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/mon-pri-sub.asp

Thanks, cicada!

I have seen that link, and it does help, but I was hoping for a little more information than "Mix" on the soil. LOL Well-drained, I know, so I might just throw something together with a high percentage of perlite and see where we go from there.

It doesn't seem to be a very widely grown plant, but I thought maybe somebody here was growing it and could give me pointers to success. :o)

Thanks again! I'm going to read that information again to refresh my memory.

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Raingazer,
You might try contacting Marina at the following link. She's very knowledgable on the growing of caudiciforms and might be able to suggest a potting media for your Monolena.

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I think when it said "mix" it meant a mix of grit and sphagnum. If you look down at the bottom, it shows three flats of plants and the top one was grown in grit (I assume that means sand?) and the middle was just sphagnum and the bottom was a mixture of the two, it sounds like.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I just asked Repotme.com to suggest an adenium mix, they suggested 2/3 their cactus mix with 1/3 their finely chopped sphagnum (peat) moss. I would imagine this will work with the Monolena (I've got one too).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.