Almost composted compost

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

We all talk about the dark, rich, black gold as the product of "done" compost.
Is there any harm in applying ALMOST DONE compost to my veggie gardens in the spring? I would till it in along with other amendments.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Heck no, that's what you're making it for!!! It will make the ground rich and your seedlings will love it.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That's exactly what I have right now. It's nearly done compost.

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree - I've dug in a lot of 1/2-done compost with no bad effects whatsoever. We used to just dig the raw ingredients right into the garden too. Made the dirt rich and fluffly.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

another vote for yes, you can use it now

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm STILL trying to figure out when compost is done....I just emptied my little pile that's been doing its thing since last summer....but it was filled with scores of humongous worms. I remember throwing in every scrawny worm I found last summer...I sifted it into my bean trellis bed. Hoping for prize winning Kentucky Wonders this year!

I read compost is officially done when absolutely no remnants of original materials are left (no eggshells, vegetable peels, straw, grass, etc.). It's just pure dark brown stuff that smells devine. But, I can seldom wait that long!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Can't wait that long. LOL!!!

Yes, impatient with nature!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Another vote to proceed. I seem to always find eggshells no matter how long we leave it untouched. We have six bins and credit the compost for the health of our vegetables and our other plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.