starting composting in the city?

Chicago, IL

Hi -

I live in a small condo building in Chicago with a small yard, but no good place for a bin anywhere in the actual garden. In the back, we have a wooden deck/porch system and also a small area under the porch. I chopped up a lot of leaves last fall and was hoping to compost them this summer along with grass clippings.

however, I'd appreciate advice as whether it might be feasible! I can't put a big container on my back porch, and on the ground it is not that sunny (although in Chicago we definitely get hot temperatures and compost is supposed to heat itself anyway, I guess). Any advice as to a good type of container and composting method (can I even use a small trash can with holes and some worms?)?....I can't do those 'biostack' type stacking squares, because I wouldn't have room for two of them (having to move from one to the other).

I've seen something called the eco-cycle but was not sure if it is too expensive for what it is! Sounds like some of these things don't work quite as well as advertised....

Thanks!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Have you thought about a small circle of chicken wire?Easy to move and dump.I used one when the leaves became to much for the bin.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

A few of us have modified trash cans for our bins - would that fit? You might also want to look into the worm composting, I think you might be able to do that a little more compactly... good luck, and good for you for persevering!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Agree with PC.......hmmm that doesn't happen very often. grin
You also might want to consider lasanga gardening. It might make things easier for you. Google it on the web. It's composting with a twist......:)

Chicago, IL

Thanks everyone! I think maybe a small-medium trash can with holes drilled in it is what I'll start with. First, I have to reassure the neighbors that if I do it right it will not smell bad! I'll see if I can get some coffee grounds from the Starbucks on the corner :)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
(can I even use a small trash can with holes and some worms?)

Scoobie, would it also work if you completely removed the bottom of the trash can, so the worms have free access to it from the soil below? Sort of the circle-of-chicken-wire idea, but with more rigid sides, and a top. Bokashi-folks often do this, to finish and store their composted food scraps and to protect them from animals.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You need access to the soil for bacteria, fungi, and bugs to make compost. That is why all of the compost tumblers fail. If you don't have access to soil through the bottom I would place a good hand full of dirt in each bucket you start up. Worms only eat it quicker so place a few in there.

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi scuba - I posted this in Feb. Maybe it will help. This was a composter we made when we lived in the city several years ago.

It was simply a big plastic garbage can. I put in a layer of garden soil and then whatever vegetable scraps I had. Every time I put scraps in, I'd throw in another shovel of garden dirt. If you keep the lid on you have to water it once in a while too.

Now, it didn't take long at all for stuff to pretty much rot down. To get at the bottom where the most rotted compost was, I cut a kind of "doggie door" flap that lifted up and I could get a shovel in and take a few scoops. I used this mainly for digging into the garden as it wasn't totally rotted down. It was a great way to compost in the city where we had to worry about critters getting into it. Never had a problem. Best, it was pretty much a free composter because it was just an old can we didn't use anymore. Also, I always had a place to put all those vegetable scraps! I couldn't stand putting them in the trash!

This can was in a shady spot. Not that attractive, but I wonder if you could grow vines over it or something.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.