List of Coneflower/Echinacea Cultivars

Frisco, TX

I was just putting together a list of all the Echies I have and then made another one of the ones I don't have. I am amazed how many varities there are.
Can you guys help me fill in any blanks? .. For those of us that wanted the whole collection, this seems a little daunting now. LOL

After Midnight
Amado
Angustfolia
Art’s Pride
Baby Swan
Bravado
Bright Star
Coconut Lime
Double Decker
Double Delight
Fancy Frills
Fatal Attraction
Fragrant Angel
Green Eyes
Green Envy
Green Jewel
Harvest Moon
Hula Dancer
Hope
Jade
Kims’ Knee High
Kims’ Mop head
Lilliput
Little Giant
Magnus
mango Meadowbright
Merlot
Palladia – Narrow Leaf
Paradoxa
Pixie Meadowbright
Primadonna White
Purity
Raspberry Tart
Razzmatazz
Ruby Giant
Ruby Star
Summer Sky
Sundown
Sunrise
Sunset
The King
Tiki Torch
Twilight
Vintage Win
White Swan

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 7:54 PM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

'After Midnight' and 'Green Envy' are two I didn't see on the list. Oh and also 'Summer Sky'. It will be quite a task to collect all of these beauties.

Razzmatazz

Frisco, TX

Ok I added those. The list is getting really long. Amazing...

Little Giant

Frisco, TX

Added it. Thanks..

Fatal Attraction

Jade
and Summer Sky

and Hula Dancer

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 5:48 PM

Frisco, TX

Just found a website that had one I've never heard of "Crazy Pink"

http://www.canningperennials.com/acatalog/Echinacea___Coneflower.html

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have 'The King', not too different though really, also Primadonna Deep Ruby.

Paranoia

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here are some pics of echinacea. Some are very familiar, some I have not heard of. http://www.lucsperennialworld.com/echinacea/index.html

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Is there a Echinacea Society were cultivars are registered or can anyone just pick a name out of a hat and name their choice seedling as new.

Frisco, TX

ngam,

I like that site. Although they have some with weird names like Cotton Candy and Sorbet. They look just like Double Delight to me.. Wonder what the difference is..

Does anyone have Tiki Torch yet?? I want that plant soooo bad.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

All that Jazz
Crazy Pink (Adam Saul)
Elton Knight
Virgin
Prairie Splendor

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=E&whichName=genus&showIntro=0

Also, this seems to be a makeshift site for the Echinacea society. Not very functional and not edited in a while, but at least has a list.

http://plantpestdiseaseidentification.com/services.html

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 9:49 PM

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Howdy,

This thread reminded me of something I wrote about..... Hope it makes you smile or I'll settle for even a small grin.

http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/5/6_Could_I_Live_Forever.html

Very nice Paul. I'm working on that as well I think! I only have 5 varieties, but the yard has plenty more room!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Mrs_Ed....You know its funny how some flowers kinda speak to you and others don't, well don't speak your language so to speak if that makes sense.....As well as I like the colored varieties, the pastels that is or mostly pastels, color fading is a problem sometimes in the full sun.....on another thread someone else mentioned that too...gushpuppy I think, anyways a little shade, very little mind you or tucking one behind another taller plant keeps the colors you liked about them in the first place nice and bright......Lord, I sound like a laundry detergent commercial, color fastness and all that.......:)

Paul from Alabama

HA. Laundry.

Well I've got The Orange Meadowbrite. It struggles through the winters here more than the others. I've been after the Harvest Moon next, as it's in my Mother's garden. I have a white swan and Bright Star and some NOID, but I do so love the original with the drooping petals! The big thing up here this year is the Coconut lime. I can't say that I'm in love with that so much as the others, but I'm sure it will end up in my garden eventually. Here's my Art's Pride (orange meadowbrite). This is an interesting plant in that when it first blooms, it follows the sun. After a day or so it goes into the standard upright position.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I never noticed that but it's mighty interesting no joke the movement with the sun, I only had mine a short time....I gave mine to a friend, only had one Meadowbrite Orange anyways but I was pretty.........I got a good many of the Mangos though, you know what speaks to me the most is that separation of petals on Mango, besides its beautiful color.......seems the petals are spread out just perfectly.....and I like the width of the petals, gives it a nice delicate look but not too......Hey I take my conies seriously.......:)
And I'm like you as time goes by I appreciate the original so to speak, them petals drooping down....My second best slowly creeping up in my estimation is White Swan, after I lost so many two years ago and the cost of replacement would kinda strain me at the time I thought of going back to only echinacea purpurea and White Swans but you only once and bit the bullet and replaced all my Big Sky's and Mango's......I got one drift of mixed colors of echinacea, one or two of each one I grow, I ain't much for mixed color drifts, I usually like one color or the other, but it looks nice I must admit, kinda like a jelly bean jar.......:)

Speaking of jars, here's a container I did with two 'Twilight's and one 'Harvest Moon' along with a 'Morning Light' grass slap dab in the middle....I used varigated trailing vinca as as trailer....The red and gold look nice I think.....
Paul from Alabama

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL

That's quite lovely Paul. Well you know, there is always the seed trading forum to support our habit!

I might have to get a mango now. I do like them a good deal. Darn you!!! making me spend more money. ;)

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't mean to make light of drug addiction I know its awful but seed trading is the methadone of the heroin addicts if you know what I mean.....I think that might have been a bad analogy......:)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I'm the proud new owner of a Coconut Lime, my first coneflower. Paid way too much but I've been eyeing this all winter, as since this will be my 2nd growing season in our new northern home, I figured I needed it in the worst way,,,, to make up for having to live in what we southern transplants call the north pole...LOL

Can anyone direct me to a forum here where there might be some coneflower seeds for sale? I've been watching the new sale forum but I've not seen anything listed there.

thanks to all who have posted pictures of their wonderful coneflowers.

Did you check out the marketplace? Otherwise, check out seed trading: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trading/all/

I can send you some Art's Pride (orange meadowbrite coneflower) for SASE, but they are a little old and don't have the best germination rate.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mrs_Ed I just sent ya one of these (Oh I can't remember what yall call the e-mails here) but you will see it.

thanks so much for the offer.

Janet

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I have two yellow and two orange cones I got from Fairy's co-op here on DG, sunrise and sunset. They are about 3 or 4x as tall and wide as when they arrived as bare root. Can I expect any blooms on them this first year? I think I may have planted them too closely anticipating that they would take a season to get going. I'm used to growing cones mainly in containers (in Florida) and it is surprising to see how the plants take off when they're in the ground in raised beds.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I was thrilled to have Double Decker and regular purples coneflowers! Will those come true from seed or do they need to be a division from a mother plant? If anyone has extra please dmail me. I LOVE the orange and yellow ones!
Teresa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.