When do I start watering my Adenium more often?

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

I am in SE Michigan and my nine Adenium are starting to show leaves. They have been in a West facing window since fall. I have kept the watering to a minimum but wonder "what do I do now?" This will be the first spring I have had them so I'm needing suggestions now on their care. Any help is appreciated.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 3:48 PM

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

This is obviously a tough question to answer because the answer varies from climate to climate and can also depend upon the condition of your adeniums and the medium they are planted in.

I've already started watering mine since they are outside and since it is spring here, but I seem to lose a couple to belly rot every year because, undoubtedly, I either water too much or it gets too cold here at night in the spring. I am watering extra light this spring. If I were in your zone, I wouldn't water until they were outside and the nighttime temp was above 60, but if the soil looks very dry, and your adeniums look dehydrated, you can water sparingly with warm water since they are probably still inside in your zone.

The best advice would probably come from another adenium grower in your zone.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you Clare_CA

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Im told and live by this
Once they go dormant dont water until you see new growth pushing out.
Then start sparingly
As the temps increase and growth does as well then increase the watering
Remember these babies hold a lot of h2o inside them and can go a looong time with no water.
With Adeniums its best to not water if you arent dead sure its in need.
Drying tips and dying foliage is a good sign to water ;)
Otherwise remember they grow in arid regions and dont need much doding from us pay too much parent types ;)

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

However, if you want your Adenium plants to grow fast, you need to water regulary. You defintely do not want to imitate (in cultivation) the arid environment of wild plants.

Best regards,

Martin

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Malestron and Martin DK thank you both. They are starting to get leaves and are plump so I assume they don't need water. When I do water I have been giving them just a small amount and watch that I don't do it too often. They are in a cactus type soil in clay pots. I do have a water meter with a probe and when it shows nothing then I give them a bit of water. I am glad that I discovered what they are and although they may be challenging they will be worth it. Again, thank you!

So long as you see growth watering is fine.
During dormancy water = rot

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

I am always careful when it comes to watering in early Spring - when the plants begin to leaf out. I have lost quite a few Adenium plants - among other caudex plants - due to overwatering and root rot. I guess it is part of the game when you try to grow caudiciforms up here in the Wet and Cold North of Europe.;-)

Best regards,

Martin

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you both once again. Now, one more question, when do I start feeding them, how often, and what fertilizer do you recommend? I guess that was three questions!

ive read do not feed them and ive read 20-20-20
apparently no benefit to bloom booster.
I use rotted pelleted chicken poo in my soil so i dont feed them.
Good luck

Yardley, PA

I have found also in Spring, it can still be cool. That means less water. Water plus cold definitely means rot. I don't water mine heavily until they are outside and the temperatures are pretty warm.

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Sorry it took me so long to get back but thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a Noble Concubine that has a bud, no leaves but a bud. Pretty exciting for me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.