My dirt

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

The dirt in my yard is very sandy, and doesn't seem to drain well. Instead of percolating it usually cuts a tunnel through the dirt. Also, it stains my skin if I'm working with it.

What do these properties say about my dirt? Is there a name for it? What should I add to it to amend it?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think you have that red Georgia clay? If I'm right you are probably in northern Fla?

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

No, it isn't a clay. Its dark gray sand, and it stains my skin almost black. There is a layer of clay about 1-2' under the sand.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I lived in No Fl for 13 years - it just looks like black dirty sand. You need to add organic compost to make it hold moisture and give it some real "soil" with minerals and real food for your plants. There is no real "Top Soil" in your area, that's why after a rain, it dries out so quickly.
Best of luck

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I agree with Azalea - add compost to your existing soil in as great of quantities as you can. You might want to consider raised beds lined with landscape cloth if it seems to be washing away into your sand.

Good luck, that sounds like a pretty difficult situation to garden in, although I'm sure that there's lots of plants that love it.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, everyone. I know there are plenty of weeds that love my yard, so it can't be that bad ;)

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

You are in Eastern Florida Flatwoods (ecoregion). There are over 300 official types of soil in the state of FL. Florida is pretty much made of sand, but it can be very fine and compacted I guess - not like beach sand.

For poor drainage, as everyone says, dig in plenty of organic matter - 25 to 100 pounds per 10 x 10 foot area. Compost, shredded pine bark, or composted sawdust would work. This stuff will help hold the water like a sponge does.

To lower the acidity, use 2-5 lbs of ground limestone (like dolomitic) for each 10 x 10 foot area (5 lbs dolomitic lime would lower pH about 1 point). A dusting of wood ashes would work also. Dig this into the soil about 8" and really dig it in well and water also to get the chemical change you want going.

Wait about 2 weeks before planting.

You also might want to get your pH tested before doing anything, or just wing it.

I love dirt! Good luck with yours.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Or, you could get a soil analysis.If you are a serious gardener, it might be a good thing to do. Many (but not all) state extensions will do them free of charge.

Karen

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Or a fairly nominal fee - ours charged me $8, but the info was priceless!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.