How do I keep my dogs out of my gardens?

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have had dogs all of my life and all could be trained to stay out of flower beds and gardens. The dogs we have now are different. Really it is just my lab who is around 1 and a mixed dog who is also around 1. They refuse to be trained fences are just something to jump climb or dig under. I decided to try to use some old tires to plant my onions in so I could have more room in my big garden. These tires have been outside forever- but the second I got them where I wanted them these two acted like they were a brand new toy. No amount of threats , I even pinned them up so I could work nothing helped. When they got out right to the tires they went, I don't even have anything in them yet. As for my garden when you open the gate to get in get ready for a race. If you have tools and hands full dogs are running over you to get in before you close the gate. I have tried electric fences (Don"t work) I have kept the dogs up (Don"t work) they have been water squirted now the play has just begun, newspaper spanked that ended with the newspaper shredded for my compost pile. Anyone have any ideas for me to try?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Over the tires put chicken wire and make sure to attach them in a way that the dogs can't take it off but it's easy for you to do that when needed.

As for the gate, the only thing I can think of is maybe sprinkling some pepper around there.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have used I thought it was called cattle fencing to put under the dog pen fence so they couldn't dig out. I guess you could do the same thing to keep them from digging in. The gaps are big enough grass would grow and my DH pinned it down to the ground so we could just mow over it. Only problem it comes in big panels and we would cut it in strips.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

They're still in the puppy stage that could last another year. You're probably in for a struggle the next year or so. I keep a lot of big rawhide chews around to keep my trio busy.

To read about my doggy disasters and DG member suggestions, see the threads that I started on the Beginner Landscaping forum:

Landscaping with Dogs @ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/699960/
Landscaping with Dogs II @ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/715979/

I feel your pain! I hope that you figure things out or at least keep your sanity trying. I'm going to hardscape with paver paths lined with rosebushes. My flower beds have chicken wire laid so that the dogs can't dig & I stick bamboo in the beds & zigzag fishing line throughout to keep them from trampling the plants. I've also read about some DG members that had bad experiences with dogs & using bone meal as a fertilizer. The "bone meal" link may be mentioned on one of the "Landscaping w Dogs" links above.

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the links I will check them out. Pepper thank you for your hints also.
Happy I may have to try the panels if all else fails. Thanks everyone.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I put up a light-duty electric pet fence (battery powered) that only took a couple of days to train my puppy-like lab mixes to stay out of the garden area. This is a photo of the controller and the corner of the fence. Even though they can't read, ; ) , the dogs seem to stay away from the garden now. They use to wander through it and stop to dig if something smelled interesting.

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

dreaves-how high is the fence? My dogs jump like deer, and if it is to low won't they just step over it? I have thought about that type of fencing but hate to spend the money if they can figure it out. Pretty bad when you have to spend alot of time trying to out move your pets. Who is trsining who? LOL!

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

It's about nose high...the theory is that they will investigate first, get a shock, then decide to stay away. Mine is only two wire, but you could easily make a third wire higher, to discourage jumping. One person told me that putting a litte peanut butter on the wire would cause the dogs to investigate sooner and learn to stay away from the wire more quickly. Mine learned without it.

David

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

the battery one works but if you have electric there i would get the hot all the time fencer from a farm store put a hot wire at 6" a ground wire at 12" hot at 18 to 20" a ground wire at 32 to34" if they jump that another hot above that at 48" that what is called varmint fence not much goes through it over once or twice I keep my goats in and everything out with a fence built this way 4 dogs and not a one will go into the goat pens

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

David,

What about using the fence with small children around. Any danger?

Betty

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

It's labeled to be completely safe for children and pets. It would hurt if they ran into it, but probably more scare than injury.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think your just gonna have to play with them a while to wear down their exhuberance.

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone I am going to try the fence maybe put 3 strands up just in case my jumper jumps first then sniffs. I like the chicken wire for the tires but I may just put up the electric wire and leave it hot for just a short while then disconnect. I am sure my dogs will not thank you but I do.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Betty us farm kids learn to stay away real fast it will scare them just like any animal watch them at first as long as they can walk they should be fine

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

When I was a kid, it was barbed wire fences that we had to watch out for. You're right though because after I tore out the seat of my pants & was embarrassed walking back to the house that way, I stayed away from the fence. : )

One of my dogs (the foxhound) has to wear a shock collar because of a neighbor's complaint. She knows that the collar causes the shock because she'll bark when let out without it, but not when she's wearing the collar. Occasionally, she'll get excited about a stray dog & bark, but only once before she's reminded with a shock.

The electric fence does sound like a good idea. I hope that it works for you. : )

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Yesterday was a really nice day so I planted my onions. We had just enough chicken wire to put around the tires. The dogs had moved my tires! We had not put the dirt in yet. So yesterday we put in the dirt with our 5 year old granddaughter and she helped me plant the onions, and chase dogs. We got the fence up and so far so good. I am still going to get the electric fence to put up around my big garden. We also started some tomato seed and green peppers to transplant later. Took all our brood for a walk in the woods and played for around 2 hours came home went in the house and when we came back out the lab had turned over our burn barrel- never has he done this, I am thinking he may just have to find a new home. I know labs are hard headed but he is really pushing my buttons. I think my DH is ready for all the dogs to go but I have never not had a dog sothat isn't going to happen. I may have to get Andy a shock collar I have never had to use one and I really hate to but he has to be trained .

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Clerkie, there comes a time when one must make difficult choices. This sounds like one of those times. I love cats and dogs too, but that dog would have been in a no kill shelter by now if it was mine. For the sake of your sanity, blood pressure(lol)marriage, and gardening efforts find one soon for this dog.

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

I have three small dogs, two of them terriers. I'm sure bigger dogs would be harder to deal with.

I try to make paths for them through the flower gardens. The only time I have problems is when plants are first coming up and aren't too big yet. I put a lot of marker sticks or cages over delicate plants until they are big enough to take a little abuse. I put my veggies in raised beds or in containers. Just try to make the garden as doggy friendly as possible.

Our yard is so big, that they only spend some of their time in my flowers. You could put in their own garden. I planted my chihuahua her own butterfly garden because she loves to chase bugs. My biggest issue is all the poo left over after the winter glacier melted. We need some good strong spring rains to freshen things up I think.

I am putting a pond in this year, it will be interesting to see how they do with that. Now don't get me started on the cat...

Eve

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

leaflady the thought has crossed my mind but I just could not leave him. But he does get my blood to boiling. evesta I don't think that a garden of his own would be the answer because to andy everything is his. I am also going to try a small pond and because he is a lab I fully expect him to decide it is for his swimming pleasure. I haven't lost a battle of the wills yet but this one is going to be close. lol (maybe!)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Clerkie, we have the a a child's pool for our waterfowl. Our son and his wife have one for their 4 year old son. Her Black Lab/Rottwieler uses both of them daily in hot weather. My terriers and Beagle use them sometimes too. To make sure the bottom will hold up under the weight I have mine 2 or 3 pools thick using old leaking pools for support of the new one each time it starts to leak. They have sand under theirs. You might find this to be the answer for you.

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you leaflady never thought about using the old pools for support, maybe I can train all the dogs to use that one instead of my pond if I get it built this summer.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just thought of something that might help you. Pricey, but suppose to be very effective. The underground electronic fence. I think the dog has to wear a collar to make it work. I think even WM might have it in some seasons. If not, Pet Smart or Pet Co or maybe even EBay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.