bulbs not planted yet

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have bulbs (daffodils and tulips) that have been stored in the garage since sometime in December. I was not able to plant them within their typical window written on the packaging. There are probably 150 bulbs total. Have I waited too late to put them in the ground?
I know that daffodils are blooming now, but tulips are just beginning to pop up.
I understand that they may not bloom this year.
So what is the best way to save them and not let them go to waste???
I would appreciate the most basic of responses as this is my first go at bulbs except for transplanting.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Tulips are usually only good for one year here as we don't have enough cold days to chill them for the next year's bloom and they do require x days of cold under x temps (meaning I know the generalities but don't have the scientific answer). Those that come back usually are weak and pathetic. When you buy tulips they have been pre-chilled by the grower to bloom for that Spring. I can't tell you what will happen if you throw them in your freezer until Fall. Anyone?

On the other hand...although your chances of blooming the daffodils this year are slim (and none >)), they might be able to pop up, gain some growth, store energy for next year and bloom or...it might take them an extra year. Either way, you probably won't lose the daffodils if you get them into the ground already. So prepare to dig.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

it's the digging part that has kept me from planting them in the first place...
do those bulb digger tools work well? i can't imagine anything but a pickaxe would work well...

I have busted shovels and resorted to a 'pickmatic' (sp). Believe it or not, your 'dils will grow in pockets that crummy if you amend the soil. If you want to try a bulb planter, I have one that I used for about 15 minutes. I'll give it to you for free. A pick is not a bad idea if that's the soil you've got. The good news is once you get a hole going for those little dears, with enough room to expand for a few years, you're in business. Amend the hole with a little potting soil or top soil and manure. Your work will reward you for years to come. I am enjoying bulbs today that I planted almost twenty years ago. Hope someone can give you more expert advice on the tulips.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would plant them and see what happens. Daffodils will come back next year so no problem. I would bet they bloom for you. Tulips? Plant them and see what happens but you need to dig those up and put them in the fridge during the winter. If you put them in the frig now I bet they rot by fall.

Decatur, GA

I can tell you what works for me for digging the holes - a giant drill bit!

The technical name is something like Roto Auger Bit, but by any name, it makes planting bulbs a breeze. My husband and I can plant about 500 bulbs in an hour, by using attaching the drill bit to our electric drill and going to town! Of course, it helps to have a fresh planting bed with nothing in your way!

Regarding what to do with the bulbs at this late date, I vote for putting them in the ground. I had a bag that sat in my fridge from november to early january a couple of years ago, and it got super moldy and gross.

Good Luck!

Ggreves, I forgot about those auger bits until after I posted. Our first house was in Decatur (Winnona Park) and the ground was like concrete! My husband reminded me about the bits but was not sure if a drill could handle really tough clay. Hopefully someone else knows.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, I have tulips that have come up the two years that I've been here; I just leave them in the ground (they were here when we got here, no idea of what kind they are other than pretty!); I'm a little further north in Woodstock, but the tulips stay good here in the ground. Mine are popping up again already this year.

I can't offer much more knowledge; I'm just planting my first bulbs this year. Some irises shared by a generous DGer went in last year when I received them, and I also just planted my first lillies, freesias and glads this season. I hope they work!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well i plan tor rise in the morning and get started until the "snow" and wind freeze me...i don't have the auger tool, so i guess i'll use the husband and get him to help me prepare an area...i know that i am not the type to dig them up, nor am i going to keep them in the fridge...so my best bet is just to put them in the ground and hope for the best...
i guess i'll follow the directions on the bag for the depths???

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

ggreves, how large is this auger bit? does it go on a regular battery operated drill? where do i find such tool? and how much can i expect to pay?
husband is asking after reading my last post...

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7a)

The auger bit is a wonderful tool. Slips right in to any drill. Ace Hardware in our area carries two sizes. Great for breaking up hard clay. Word of warning -- if the ground is hard, hold on tight to the drill and go slow. It also works well for planting a lot of bedding plants.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks to each of you...due to snow and high winds, i didn't make it out today...but i really am going to try tomorrow...weather is supposed to be warmer with less wind...
audra

Awarhol... I understand if you opt for a sleep in. BTW, don't know why you opted for this moniker. Why are you using Andy's name? He was a friend first and foremost. Are you a friend of Andy's too? Dmn...you make me feel old. Did you know Andy? I am curious as to why you have chosen this name.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

my name is warhol also...no relation to andy, however...my husband's been living with that comparison his whole life...

awarhol, thanks for the explanation. Didn't mean to be so nosy, but I was a bit excited. Did you get your bulbs planted? Please share your planting experience if you got the auger as I have hundreds of daffodils that need dividing.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

i finally did plant the bulbs...they were beginning to go bad...i had to be real selective...i ended up planting them in some raised beds that i created last year...the dirt was better and not near as hard...didn't purchase the auger...my husband came and turned over the soil with me and i was able to get them to the correct depth with him helping to drop them in as i held back the dirt...i am so lucky that he enjoys the yard work also...so now i will wait and see what happens...

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Good luck, and let us know how they turn out :)

Awarhol,
I hesitated to mention that these bulbs might have been "forced" ( that is put into vases with pebbles, water and fertilizer) and bloomed as give-ways to friends or used for entertaining. Perhaps next time you have a lazy Winter?

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

lazy winters are typical with us...my husband's originally from florida before the last 5 years and doesn't love the cold...forcing paperwhites for christmas is all i've successfully done...
the daffodils are poking their heads up in spots...saw them today for the first time...i'm very anxious to see how much good the rain tomorrow will help...i was shocked...will check on the tulips tomorrow also...
i tried some hyacinths this year, and they were gnatty at times...too damp...and not pretty...i won't give up though...we transplanted amaryllis from my dh's grandmother's home last year...some in pots, and some in the ground...3 different locations...never tried them in the ground before...they're coming up now...we'll see...we had so many...couldn't do all of them in pots...
will keep you posted if the daffodils and tulips ever flower this year...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I bet they will be fine. I STILL have some to plant and will get them in the ground too...I believe they will still bloom. I have tulips here as well, that were planted a year or maybe two years ago....I think it depends on the type of tulip as to whether or not they come back here. So you may be pleasantly surprised like I was! The Amaryllis will certainly do fine....I have several in my gardens too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.