Space saving way of rooting cuttings...

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

This past weekend, we hung a piece of this grid panel from Lowe's we cut to fit. I wanted to try rooting some cuttings in these florist picks. They fit perfect in this light grid panel. I hope they root. This is my latest experiment. They are mostly cuttings from a Goldfish Plant.
Has anyone tried rooting cuttings this way?

Pam

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Pam - that's a very clever use for those picks. My concern would be keeping them filled with water and then getting them out with the roots. I supposed you can just cut away that rubber top. I've got a bunch of those laying around; I may try that. Helen

On second thought, you probably didn't use the tops, did you? Duh!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, actually i did use the tops . Maybe not using them IS better. I guess that's part of experimenting. I've had them in the tubes since Sunday, and none look low on water yet. Maybe the top keeps them from evaporating. I'll have to try some without tops also.
I had ordered a bunch of these florist tubes about 3 or 4 years ago. I have a box of 1000. So I'm hoping something works. If so, I'll line them up all over. The plants still look very healthy so far. I can see what looks like fuzzy little hair like things all over the stems. Are those maybe roots starting or what?

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I think that was a smart experient! Tiny stems like impatient would be perfect for those. Helen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

What a great idea Pam, I would also add some hydrogen peroxide to the water, 4oz per gal. I use it when watering my seedlings in soil.

Dwight

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dwight. I'll try that, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.