Is it too late?

Stony Point, NY

I ran out of time before the snow started around here to plant my irises. Is it too late if I get them in the ground in the next month? Or am I S.O.L.? If it's too late, how do I store them until next year (or can I)?

I still have snow on the ground here in northern Rockland County (NY). Don't think I'll be able to get them in the ground until it thaws...if I can, that is.

Thank you! (oh, and good wishes are coming your way Carrie!!!!!)

-Tiffany

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Hi Tiffany, I have a ton of daffodils, tulips and crocuses that didn't make it in the dirt before it turned too cold. When it warms up, I'm just going to stick them in there and pretend that they were there all along.... hope for the best. So long as they're not rotting or crumbly, they should be fine anyway. Might not get a bloom this year though.

What kind of irises?

Harper

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I believe you can plant Iris's in the spring with out a problem. Really should wait for PollyK or Pirl to jump in....they would know better than I.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Pirl is here, coffee nearby.

It's always worth it to plant them, tifdotcom. Can you pot them up and put them outside for now? I'm guessing they're not Japanese or Siberian irises but the tall bearded, right?

Your tulips, crocuses and daffodils need the cold of winter, Harper. If they were in a very cold part of the garage they just might make it. If not consider that you've added to the soil structure. You could pot them up and leave them outside where they'll get sun and rain and just hope for the best, as you said.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I knew you would have the word of reason around here Pirl.....thanks for chimming in!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many of us have slipped up and not planted something we should have. It's one of those things that just happen, unfortunately. Yesterday, on a quick walk through one part of the garden I saw daffodils (babies) that are laying on the ground. Somehow I missed them. Maybe I'll get to it if the wind calms down.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Same here. I have planted bearded iris in the spring and one even bloomed that year. As long as the rhizomes aren't mushy its worth a shot. Like Pirl says if you can pot them up even better for a head start. If the bed is already prepared and has good soil you should be able to plant them fairly early since they are planted very shallow compared to most perennials.

Stony Point, NY

Thank you everyone! I'm going to pot them up and get them out there!

Best,
Tiffany

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Tiffany,

You can keep them in the garage if the rhizomes are good and solid feeling, and plant them out when the soil is workable. If you pot them up, put them outside up against the house, maybe under the eaves.

Bearded irises are pretty forgiving, and like Pirl said, it's always worth a try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.