Will Echinecea/coneflower bloom?

Seadrift, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted Echinecea/Coneflowers (purple) this year for the first time instead of planting zinnas in one of my gardens. My question is will I have to wait until next year to see them bloom? If so, I'm going back to my faithful zinnas. What should I do?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Possible/maybe, they were winter(LOL)sown there then? If not - probably not a great chance they will. They aren't annuals.

Frisco, TX

I planted several purple coneflowers early last year and the bloomed at the end of the season.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

You could always interplant with your zinnias to give some color to your bed while you wait for the cones. It should work, even if your cf's bloom as long as you have enough room in the bed.

Seadrift, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the response. I did plant them in Jan. in the pods under a green lite but they just didn't grow like you would think. I did not have a heating pad. I planted them in the garden 2 weeks ago. Here in S. Texas some day are hot and others are cool like this morning it is 36 degrees - but it does usually warm up real fast. I do think I will plant some zinnas. I also, have BES rudbeckia hirta planted in the same bed. Hopefully, they will bloom and give some color also. Thanks.
Mary D.

Frisco, TX

Marydil51, So your planting seeds inside and they are not germinating for you? Or did you direct sow them outside??

I have about 30 echies growing inside under a shop light. They are really doing well. I have all cultivars too; Ruby Star, Bright Star, Palladia, Paradoxa, White Swan, Double Delight, Double Decker, etc..

Seadrift, TX(Zone 9a)

AngelG1111, yes, the seeds germinated for me in the pods under the lights but then ------I already planted them outside. Probably toooooo early for outside - also, you know they were in those pods and if you don't dig them in a good hole in the ground - they seem to pop out of the ground.
I throught the dogs were messing with them but it happens after you water them.

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi Mary-just wanted to jump in here, Echies should bloom the first season. I planted some outside in May last year and mine bloomed in early October-just when our first freeze hit. This year I have some inside and I am certain they will be blooming by July :o)
I love Echies!!!!

May Princess Kathy always have Echies!!

Seadrift, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks distantkin, I will be looking for them to bloom. Also, AngelG111, will all your Echies bloom this year?

Frisco, TX

Yes I would assume all mine will bloom. I'ved had them under a shop light for a month or more and some are getting a good size. Soon as it quits snowing here I'm going to plant them outside.

I'm considering putting some "Super Thrive" on them. Is that okay since they are still young" I used it on my outside plants last summer and man they kicked into high gear!!!

Seadrift, TX(Zone 9a)

How much Super Thrive do you use. One drop seems like nothing.
I've used it but with other liquid fertilizer and you can see a spurt. So I don't know if it is from the other fertilizer or if it is from the Super Thrive. Do you use it alone? I need to use it everytime I water, I guess.

Frisco, TX

I'm not sure the exact amount. I did it in big buckets for my whole garden in sections. My Esperanza shrub went nuts and grew quickly. Also my Lantana doubled in size in a short time. Be careful, if you use too much you may kill whatever your putting it on..

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Can someone recommend a good trusted source for the CF?? Thanks!
Genna

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

One place I like that sends good sized plants usually is Garden Crossings. They are starting to sell out of some but still have a decent selection and any that have sold out you can request to be notified when they are back in stock. http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=D-F&whichName=genus&showIntro=0&hardinessZone=&typeID=2 Scroll down to echinacea. Good luck.

Frisco, TX

As much as I love coneflowers, I cant see myself paying 15.00 a plant.. I guess I will eventually when I cant find them locally. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.