Coleus Chatters thru March 9th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone!!! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817277/

Just think, this Sunday is when Daylight Saving time begins! Yeah!!! I can feel it and I'm on a countdown to spring! Finally as it seems like such a long winter.

Coleus Sangria
(One of my most favs in 2007)

Thumbnail by Brinda
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Brinda, that link didn't work.
Okay, if FA says;

Quoting:
3-4 Any root crops that can be planted now will do well.
then should I clip and dip today since what I want right now is roots? Pretty Sangria Brinda
It's 75º here.
;)

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

My happy signs of life....!! Hooray!

Thumbnail by MerryMary

No clue what any of these are, but what they AREN'T is dead! :D

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Maybe something to do with flumes, or lava, or.....I'll wait until they get bigger and drill you all for answers.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can......

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sidney, I'll email the link to you, maybe you'll have better luck with it. Gimme a couple minutes as my Mom is yappin' on the phone! LOL

Well, I'm not sure about the root crops. I thought that I understood root crops to be things like onions or bulbs. Where is Joyce? You might go to the 'Gardening by the Moon' forum and ask.

I think the last one may be garnet robe, it's a trailer....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Mary! How exciting for you!!!! I hope you have great luck and they all come back for you!

Brinda, you're the first on my list for snippets if they survive!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Here Sidney, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818864/
But I have no clue what a waning moon is....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yippee!!! I keep cross posting with you! LOL I should be working and I'm playing... OK, BACK TO WORK NOW!

Florence, AL

Afternoon guys, anyone else getting a lot of wind today, storms tonight.
Talked to Traci yesterday on phone, she is feeling a little better.
It's 80* today, come on spring.

Pam

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Pam! I bet you're getting what we had last night with all the tornados. Get ready, it's gonna get worse before it gets better if it's anything like what we're having.

Is Traci sick??? I sure hope it isn't the flu! Yuck! I was waiting on her to come back and tell us her DH story that's she mentioned last week. I wondered what had happened to her. ***Hi Traci*** Hope you're feeling better!

Sidney, did you do cuttings today? Here is what I found....

Quoting:
The best time to plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground is during the light of the Moon; that is, from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full. Flowering bulbs and vegetables that bear crops below ground should be planted during the dark of the Moon; that is, from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again.

I know that doesn't answer the cuttings question and I'm trying my hardest to learn what all the phases mean. This shows all the phases http://www.almanac.com/ now I need to find out what waxing and waning mean. LOL

Well... I broke it! LOL I can't get my quote to work!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 4:59 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Isn't that strange... it works now! Must've been a huge blonde moment! LOL

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Tired and still busy. Getting ready to put in two more windows. When Lowe's gets some more in. Too cold to cut holes in the wall anyway. Supposed to snow tonight, can you believe it?

Started putting a pot together out of hypertufa for a class I am giving on the 28th.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thought you might enjoy this!!

http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

Click on the link. You will get a black page. Click your mouse anywhere on the page & see what happens! Just keep moving the mouse and clicking.
Better yet, click & drag your mouse over the black page.

Brinda the waxing is when the moon is getting bigger or going toward being full. Waning is when it is getting smaller. My dad always planted by the moon phases & he was a veg. farmer. Hope this makes senseto you!

Stockholm, Sweden

Ted,
Great! your link is wonderful - now I have summer all over on my screen!

But I wish there was a similar fun page for coleus! Don't you agree?
Thanks for the flowers,
Alice

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

TARoger5, that is so cute! I couldn't get it to work with Internet Explorer, but it worked fine in Netscape. That's armchair gardening!
Cathy

Florence, AL

Neat site

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

That is too cool Ted!! You find the "funnest" stuff.

Juanita

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Well this is a one time affair here in Kingston, OK. LOL
A view from my new window.
Alice I agree it should be Coleus.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

An outside shot of the windows. Two more are ready to go on the corner.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

What a view I will have from my new Coleus room. Look thru the wall. LOL

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Outside the window.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ack Ted, you got snow? How crazy is that??? We didn't get a thing, thank goodness! At least it's just a major dusting of snow and you're not trying to dig yourself out of the house. Now that would be crazy.

How often do you get something like that? Let's see... Austin never gets anything like that either! LOL Yeah right!!! Back in January 1997 I went to Austin for the weekend and got stranded! Went to be on Friday night and woke around 4am to sleet hitting the windows. It must have sleeted til late Saturday and I was stuck there until Tuesday. My boss sure wasn't too thrilled with me... LOL

Ted your view is just spectular! How many hours will you spend in that room? I think I'd just move a bed in there and stay!!!

Rene, thanks for the answer. I understand the moon-stuff a little better now.

Wouter, you're a doll! Thanks so much for the pics, they are all great!

On a mission... see you all later! Love to all...

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Has anyone gotten the new book on Coleus?

It's:

COLEUS-Rainbow Foliage for Containers and Gardens, by Ray Rogers.

It is fantastic and a great reference book on coleus and their culture. It's just filled with beautiful pix.

I personally like page 85... (he,he,he)

Hap

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay, how much is it?? I'm a sucker for picture books about plants I love.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The jacket says, $29.00, so I don't know .

It's on Amazon.com for $19.+ with free shipping.

It's worth every penny.

Hap

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

I bought it from Amazon too, the second it came out. It really inspired me again to not give up on my coleus... thanks ray!!!

i have been in an on and off depressed winter/second pregnancy in a row funk over the last year, and thank goodness it's lifting. three more weeks to go (hopefully less!) before i give birth to my second son. but i digress...

the book inspired me to try more coleus varieties for topiaries. my overwintered ones look like something out of dr. seuss books- i used fright night, traling queen, and olympic torch. the two new ones are wine country... going to try inky fingers and then, if my charlie mccarthy recovers from being sprayed with 409 instead of h202 spray (don't ask, because i don't know why LOL), then that one, too...

i saw the reference to coleus sidney too! i was so excited i ran to my husband and showed him. of course, he gave me the ok, you coleus dork look, but who cares... it's still exciting!!! you're a star! well, you are one anyway LOL.

there should be a warning sticker on the book to futre coleus addicts, don't you think?

joy

Florence, AL

Yes, I got that book. Beautiful pics, great reference.

Stockholm, Sweden

Hi,
yes I've ordered this book a week ago, but it hasn't arrived yet (it's a long way from US to Sweden ;-)
I love the photos & texts at Ray's great coleus website, so this book is worth waiting for! Time goes so slowly now!!!

Joy,
a warning sticker in the book! hahah, that's a good one! Very funny. (If you buy a book like this you're already beyond help).

Sidney,
Your Sidney coleus is in the book? You're a celebrity now? LOL! How great.

Ted,
what a gorgeous view! And the best, you kan keep a steady eye on your coleus so people passing by don't snip cuttings!
Alice

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey ya'll,
I posted this on Sunday on a different thread and the reason I haven't been around. Sorry so long, but a good explaination.

"Well, I have come to the conclusion that I am a jinx. NO JOKE! I believe someone has put a curse on me.

Today, I went with another DGer to the Nashville Lawn and Garden show. WOW, was it fantastic!! I got a banana tree, corkscrew rush, my first named Daylilies, my first named Irises, some air plants to use in a terrarium, Black Magic elephant ears, passion vine and who knows what else. More on that later.

I drop the other DGer off at his car and get back on the interstate. Standstill!! Not a car was moving. So, I called another DGer friend of mine (Lala). Right as I was telling her what I did today BAM, I am hit from behind.

Now let me tell ya, I am driving one of my father's construction trucks. It is an extended cab, utility truck with three tool boxes and a ladder rack...pretty tough. The entire truck bed is warped, as the car that hit me went UNDER mine. I have been in my share of accidents, but never been hurt. Not so lucky this time. I was sitting still and the car that hit me was going 75 to 80 miles per hours, per her admission. I thought I was ok until I collapsed from dizziness. When she hit me, my air bag did not go off and my chin smacked the steering wheel. I got my first ambulance ride. To end this part, I am ok and she is ok. They were very worried as I...um...ralphed and my blood pressure dropped. I am pretty sore and ended up with a strained neck, which is basically whiplash. I am on drugs right now, but am I gonna hurt tomorrow!!

BUT here is the worst part. I say this with all sincerity, the MORON state trooper, whilst I laid on the ground, said he needed my proof of insurance. WHAT!! DO YOU SEE ME ON THE GROUND?!?! The ambulance comes and they neck brace and IV me. While in the ambulance, the same MORON had my truck towed without asking if I needed anything out of it. Firstly, my house key would have been nice!! Secondly, um...the TROPICAL plants I bought that day would have been great since it is getting down into the low 30's!! Thirdly, he STILL gave me a ticket for not getting my insurance card to him. I asked him how I could, lying in the ambulance with no truck in site. He said that was my problem. NICE!! So, to end this sad tale, which has become laughable to me, I had to break a small window to unlock my door and get inside.

Sorry so long, but I had to share this with friends who would truly understand the main complaint, not the injuries or the ticket, but the PLANTS!! I will never forgive officer MORON for that injustice!!

P.S. Took pics with my camera phone. When I figure out how to e-mail them, I will give you all a good laugh!!"

That was Sunday. Then my cell phone battery died and my charger was in my car!! I am ok now. Still banged up, but ok. I will have internet tomorrow, so hopefully life will get back to normal, whatever that is. I am at the library using the internet right now.

Sorry so long!

Traci

Stockholm, Sweden

Traci,
What a story! I'm so happy you're still able to laugh despite the extremes. Did your precious plants survive the cold?

Whatever this "curse" is, we'll all have to pray for it to leave you alone from now on.

You need a big big hug, and here it is ((((((((HUG)))))))))))
I'm so happy to hear you're ok.
Alice

Florence, AL

It's about time you got back out in the world.LOL

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks ya'll. I guess the intro to the funny story should be about hubby. He had phone, cable, and internet cut off. It has been a job trying to find a computer to check DG on. That would help everyone understand how crazy things have been.

Plants are OK except for the darling air plants I have wanted forever to use in a terrarium. It will go on my insurance claim bill. Wonder if that has been done before?

Here is the lovely pic I took. Thank goodness for drugs and a warped sense of humor!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4613259

Florence, AL

OMG

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh goodness, you poor woman!
I hope you feel better soon, and also- that what goes around, comes around, and whacks Officer Moron upside the head quickly. Perfect title for him.

Cathy

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Traci what can I say?
Is there a dark cloud following you around?
Are you safe to be around?
LOL
Bless your sweet heart.
Can I come lay hands on you?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.