(Big_Red) Horace "Red" Boynton

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

((((Big_Red)))) Boynton Jr., Horace "Red"

I am very sad today to write that our Big_Red passed away recently. I loved following his threads about growing his veggies and canning them...canning alot. He loved it. Here is a post from September 15, 2007...I think he definitely showed many of us up.

Quoting:
"got my canning done for the season, gardens all wrapped up except for a few tomato plants for fresh tomatoes. Here's my final list.

24 pints dill pickles
39 pints zucchini relish
36 pints salsa
46 quarts tomatoes
12 quarts tomato sauce

I've also frozen several quart packages of broccoli and several quart packages of cut-up peppers. Going over to a local apple farm next week and buy a couple bushels of apples to freeze, then I'm done!

Red"

Big_Red, we will miss you and your posts. You inspired a lot of us to get off our tails and do more canning and freezing and enjoying the good earth that God gave us. We know you'll be planting a beautiful garden in Heaven. We'll see you when we get there...Until then, my friend...

Many prayers going out to his very large family as you can read below.

:) Kathy (MistyMeadows)
You can also leave condolences at http://www.legacy.com/Citizen/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=104562904

A note from his son:
Quoting:
I am contacting you to report that my father AKA Big_Red of Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6A) will no longer be able to participate in your forum. My dad passed away on Feb 27, 2008.

My father loved all aspects of gardening; especially learning new ideas or techniques and sharing his experiences. It is clear to me after browsing some of the blogs and contributions that my father had made to the Dave's Garden forum that he was an active member of a very large gardening community. Thankyou for providing such a great place for individuals like my dad to share his experiences with others.

Sincerely,
Raymond Boynton

Published in the Commonwealth Journal (Somerset, KY) from 2/29/2008 - 3/2/2008:
Quoting:
Horace “Red” Boynton Jr., 69, of Bethelridge, Ky., died on Feb. 27, 2008, due to sudden illness. Red, as all his friends and family knew him, was born in New Hampton, N.H., on Oct. 1, 1938, and was pre-deceased by his mother, Virene Gilpatric; father, Horace Boynton Sr.; brothers, Raymond Boynton and Bernard Gilpatric; and his sister, Clara Fewtrell.Red is survived by his wife of 27 years, Denise LaCoste Boynton of Bethelridge; his sons, Russell Boynton of Gilmanton, N.H., Raymond Boynton of Raleigh, N.C., and Robert Boynton of Northfield, N.H.; his daughter, Mary Wright of New Hampton, N.H.; his stepson Daniel Beaupre of Belmont, N.H.; and his stepdaughters, Simone Roy of Chichester, N.H., and April Miller of Science Hill, Ky.; 15 grandchildren; two great grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.Red is also survived by his brothers, Wesley Gilpatric of Tilton, N.H., and Keith Gilpatric of Somerset, Ky.; his sisters, Beverly Zulueta of Eubank, Ky., and Kathleen Kelley of Hill, N.H.; stepmother, Aida McDonald of New Hampton, N.H.; a brother, Robert Boynton of Sanbornton, N.H.; and sisters, Barbar Skeets of Briston, N.H., Ruth Clay of New Hampton, N.H., Vera Thuber of Hill, N.H., Priscilla Miller of Alexandria, N.H., and Becky Heath of Warren, N.H.Red worked many years at J.P. Stevens in Tilton, N.H., after which he worked for 5 to 6 years as a lead carpenter for Locke Waterville Estates in Campton, N.H. His crew, which at the time included his brother, Wesley, built a large number of beautiful estate homes. Red was a master of masonry and created a large number of field stone and brick fireplaces, created with such care and attention to detail that many were like pieces of art. Later Red began work with Community Action Program (CAP) and ultimately retired from CAP after working with the program for over 25 years. He retired as an assistant director. Red retired to Bethelridge, Ky., five years ago. While in Kentucky, Red continued to pursue his interest and love of organic gardening. Red was an avid and highly successful hunter and fisherman who enjoyed spending time with his friends and family on numerous outdoor expeditions. More recently, Red renewed his interests in music and the guitar, and has made several new friendships as a result of his activities in the “Pickin’ and Grinning” music group in Science Hill, Ky.A memorial service will be held today, Feb. 29, at 7:30 p.m. at the Old Pisgah Historical Schoolhouse in Somerset, Ky. The school can be located from Rte. 27 South by making a right onto the 914 Bypass and then taking the next left turn into the compound.In lieu of flowers, a charitable donation may be made to Hospice in Red’s name. Hospice of Lake Cumberland, 100 Parkway Drive. Somerset, Ky., 42503.

Louisville, KY

Kathy, I did not realize he was sick and or had died. This saddens me greatly! I recently sent him some seed and he had two very special tomatoes he shared with me this winter.
I will remember him when I germinate these very special varieties and make a special effort to tag them as coming from him!
He will certainly be remembered!
Gary

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am so sorry. I too didn't know he was ill.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I am saddened by the loss of one of our most loving and helpful members. Big Red will be sorely missed...he was a great friend to the DG community!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I think it was real sudden, from what I read in the newspaper. My heart is heavy because he was such a nice guy and loved what he did.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I too was so very surprised to see that Red had passed away. It wasn't more than a few weeks ago that he sent me seeds for Indiana Red and Linnie's Oxheart when he sent me his SASE for a recent seed offer I made elsewhere. And he requested the full number of varieties (5) so it was only about a month ago that he was planning to garden this summer.

RIP Red, and look down and see how we're doing with your tomato seeds. ( smile)

Peace be with you.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Rest in peace Red - hope to see you in the best garden of all.

Dea

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I was very shocked and sad to hear this news. Red helped me a lot back when I was trying to learn to grow tomato plants from seed. He was very patient and also very generous sharing his seeds and knowledge with me.

I'm gonna miss you Red!

Joan

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I posted this elsewhere, but this is one of my most loved pictures, Red, me, JustmeLisa and Horseshoe over on Lake Barkley one October at a DG Roundup.

Red loved the earth and all living things. He took pure delight in something as simple as a fresh picked tomato, and loved preserving his harvest to share with others. He shared his harvest, his seeds and his knowledge.

He leaves a loving legacy of growing things... Dave's Garden among them.

Thumbnail by melody
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Wonderful Mel, how he shared!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear this. prayers for all his family.. he had such lovely smile.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

His son emailed me this great picture of his Dad and I am sharing it here. What a great picture....Big_Red in the midst of what he loved to do most :)

Thumbnail by MistyMeadows

He and i had great canning talks. I learned alot from him. He had a great sense of humor.
RIP Big_Red. when the stars are extra bright shining over our gardens . We shall look up and you shall be our brightest star.The one that looks like a tomato. :)
Blessings to his family
sue

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thanks MM for the pictures and the Memory Garden thread. and thanks to Sue for letting me know of his passing so i could pay a timely tribute...

(Zone 7b)

Red was a wonderful, kind and knowledgeable person. I simply can't say enough good things about him - he was a class act! This is a major loss to the gardening community.

Rest in peace, Red.

Suze

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

What a sad day, indeed! He was such an inspiration to me when I first joined DG - sending me seeds and encouragement!

We shall miss his input, sense of humor, and motivation...

Blessings to his family!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

wow... what a loss for all of us.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family

It always saddens me when I see we've lost another DG friend. I loved reading his posts over in the tomato forum. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

RIP

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

aww, I my heart is so heavy. He was such a nice, nice guy. He cheered me on when things were getting tough through our move to KY. What a loss to DG, he will be missed.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family. We all loved him, he was a part of our "family".

rest in peace my friend.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My goodness! What an out of the blue shock!

Seeing that pic of Red and us at the RoundUp only seems like such a short time ago. What a big loss to have him move on at such an early age. It doesn't seem fair he only got to enjoy his retirement for such a little while.

I think I'll be growing out his Uncle Walt's cranberry beans this year, just to have a bit of Big Red in my garden.

Gonna miss ya, Red!

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I've already re-vamped my tomato garden-plan to include his Market Wonder and Lumpy Red. I rarely save seeds any more, but these will be saved and treasured!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I didn't get any of Red's seeds; if someone has some to share, I'd love to grow something of his :)

Thanks, Kathy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

If you don't get any for this season, I will be happy to send you some at the end of this season, along with a copy of his note!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I would very much like to read the note which he included in with his seeds. I cannot even begin to describe to all the DGers that have written tributes to my Dad how great it is to see that he shared his seeds, knowledge and love of gardening and canning with so many people from all over the US. It is a great comfort knowing that his seeds will be carried forward and handed out to new generations of gardeners. I know that Dad has seeds still available, and once everything is settled, I can try and see if I can acquire them so that I may offer them to other members of this community.

Thank you again to all for the blessings and great wishes for our family and for our Dad. It is really truly great to see this here.

Sincerely,
Raymond Boynton
Son of Big_Red

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good heavens - you gave me quite a start when I saw your posting!!!

I am not putting my hands on the note I am looking for, but I will forward a copy when I find it. I am also searching through my e-mails to find a very sweet note your Dad sent to me. It was very early on in my gardening experience. I had just grown my very first tomatoes from seeds and I was raving about some mudane hybrid and someone poo-pooed the hybrids. Your Dad sent me a personal note telling me that whatever tomato a person likes is a good tomato. A few days later I went to the mailbox and was so surprised to see an envelope from him. I was delighted to find seeds for several heirloom varieites - seeds, descriptions, a picture of each varieity, and even histories on a few of them! I was so astounded by his unsolicited generosity. I'm afraid he was instrumental in leading me down the path of obsessive compulsive gardening and seed collecting - an afliction affectionately known as "OSeedD"!

Thank you for taking the time to send us a note. I know I speak for all of us when I say that really means alot! Nice to know that Big_Red grew some terrific sons as well!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

That's a nice recollection Sequee.

Raymond:

You and your family are in our prayers

BB

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Heavens gain our loss !,
God bless and comfort the family

Crossville, TN

I was one of the people that met Big Red at a KY RU...what a nice guy!!

My sincere condolences to all the family. Jo

I'm deeply saddened by the news of Red's death. He was a member of DG from almost the very beginning and was one of the people who inspired me to get into heirloom vegetables. Many of the varieties that I still grow today came from him. He was so generous with his time, knowledge and seeds, constantly offering seeds to people and asking nothing in return. We have lost a very valuable friend.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I, too, am saddened by his passing. (I guess God will get good tomatoes now!)

Red was SO meticulous about the seeds he sent me... photos, descriptions, planting tips. I met him at a KYRU, probably the one where the photo above was taken. I shall miss him.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Red used to tell me that we needed to retire to Kentucky, out of the cold. I told him that was somthing to think about when we're old. I didn't get to meet him in person, but felt like I knew him. He is missed.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Big Red. He unselfishly shared his love of gardening, sending seeds and helping with so much information from his own experiences. He will be greatly missed.

Our love to his family. PeggieK

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, how sad to read this news. Red was a sweet man with a good heart. Your family's in my prayers!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very sad news . I will praying for you and your family!! Red was a very nice man and will be greatly missed by all here on DG.

My condolences to his family and friends. I enjoyed his contributions to the forums. It sounds like he was a true artisan in many areas. We should all learn so much.

This is such sad news.

Raymond, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

(Zone 7a)

I only knew of him & enjoyed some of his posts, but he was among those on DG that have represented the best of what an old-style farming community can be to me. Thank you, Darius, for letting us know.

My condolences to all his family

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I have enjoyed and learned from Red's posts many times. I wish I'd known him. Truly a loss here at DG.

My condolences and prayers for the family.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

The loss of Red shall be felt by many. As he touched us warmly so shall he live on in our memories with fondness and love in our hearts.

Blessings to the family at this time of sorrow.

~Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.