Fragrant Flowers Needed!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Good Morning,

I hope you all can give me some good advise... I have a neighbor who has dogs in kennels along my back fence. He does not clean up after them and the smell is NASTY.

Can you all give me some flowers that will help. I plan on planting lavender, but what else can I do. I just stuck two kiwi plants on one side because they should throw up some coverage..

Please share your thoughts..

Thanks

jenn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Honestly I don't think anything's going to really cover up that smell. There are very few plants that I've grown that have a strong enough fragrance that it might cover up other offensive smells without you sticking your nose into the flowers. And nothing blooms all year round, so I'd see if you can work with the neighbor (or send the health department after him if he won't be nice about things!)

In terms of things you can try...star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) has a pretty powerful fragrance when it's in bloom, possibly enough to cover the smell. Cestrum nocturnum is another good one, but it only smells at night (I'm not positive if this would be hardy for you--I'm pretty sure I've seen some people in 7b/8a grow it, but in 7a it might not make it). There are also some species of honeysuckle (Lonicera) that have a really nice fragrance, but some of them are invasive too so be careful...I'm not sure which varieties are the pretty smelling ones and which ones are the invasive ones...Murphy's law says probably the fragrant ones are also the invasive ones! There are some gardenias that I think are hardy in your zone, but I'm not sure if their smell would be strong enough to cover the odor or not. Citrus trees won't be hardy in your zone, but if you've got a place to bring things in for the winter then you can put them outside in the warmer months they might help too.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

He will not clean up after is dogs.. Been to court and all I can do is keep taking him back.. ugh it is a nightmare.

I am going to try to do anything I can so my girls can play outside.. It is a Pain.

I will look up the jasmine..

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Have you called the Health Department, especially since there is a child there, they should help.
Kathy

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Kathy

I have called everyone. They will not do anything. Smells are not a health issue

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The germs that are associated with that smell are certainly hazardous to your kids' health - bring a civil suit against him. If he's selling dogs that are registered, contact the AKA - they will help.

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

well, being a retired Vet tech I can tell you that the hazards of spreading diseases is a big possiblity in that situation thinking about run off water when it rains or snows. There are many parasites that can be passed to humans (especially children cuz they don't wash their hands), hookworms, round worms, tape worms, HEARTWORMS just to name a few and some of those are passed through contaminated soil. If it were me, I would try that route too. Has he shown proof of vaccinations for these dogs?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

American Bulldogs are not AKC.... I have the heath department involved, animal control, and many others. I have not gotten anywhere with it... The neighbor who is beside him has been at it for years..

The dogs are vaccinated.

I want my kids to be able to go outside.. It is hard

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

ugh,,, I can see why you are frustrated. Good luck, it will work out somehow, in the meantime, go for the flowers,
Kathy

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I can plant anything. I have direct sun and shade by their fence... Anything would be nice. Last year it was mothballs and dogs. UGH anything is better then that...

Please share even if it is just a blooming flower for a few weeks..

Thanks so much you all. did not mean to share my neighbor story with everyone...

Jenn

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

If I were you, I would plant something with foliage that smells, like eucalyptus, pines, fir, mints, balms, and rosemary. These tends to release more smell as it gets hotter, just like the poop in question.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jenn,
I'm confused as to why the health dept ISN'T concerned - agree with Kathy on hazards of worms etc!!
American Bulldogs are not recognized by AKC (their own pref) you are correct however they do have their own registries:
http://www.abra1st.com/
http://www.nationalkennelclub.com/Clubs.htm
http://www.abkc.fws1.com/
http://ukcdogs.com/ I believe they can be registered with UKC

Ok as to what to plant...have you tried some Nicotiana? They, esp. Fragrant Cloud, have a beautiful scent. Lavender and Rosemary are good plants to try as well. Wondering what scents dogs DON'T like...might encourage them to do their business further away from the fence line...just a thought

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

They are in kennels and not allowed out.. It does not matter where they do their deed it SMELLS. Heath Department says they cannot do anything. I think my husband and I might take them to small claims court. I will take them back to regular court again. Next time he has to pay $100 per dog. It goes up each time. I hope sooner or later the fines will be to expensive.

While I try to "fix" the issue I want the girls to play outside. I will see if I can find some Nicotiana... I am making a list..

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

How many dogs are there? Is there a city ordinance about the number of animals that can be kept on a property?

If these dogs are kept in kennels and never allowed out, is there a chance the Humane Society or Animal Control can be of assistance? It would seem that this problem also can affect the value of your property so you sure seem to have a valid complaint. Perhaps you and the neighbor on the other side need to get together and start making big waves -- call the local newspapers, hire an attorney and share the expense, get witnesses to come and smell what's going on and have them available to testify for you. Perhaps you can get a letter from your family doctor about possible health issues for your children?

Wishing you good luck with this. It's a very unfair situation to your family and even to those poor dogs.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

All of that has been done... The only thing left to do is to take him to small claims court. The dogs have it bad.. They have no love and it is sad, and now if you go near them now you will get bit!

They are not over their dog limit, they are not breaking any rules other then the barking.

I've found seeds for Fragrant Cloud Nicotonia here:
http://www.dianeseeds.com/nicotiana-alata.html

And you can buy plugs for it here under their 72-size annuals
http://www.gmtransplants.com/
You have to buy a full flat but you can mix and match what annuals you want.

For annuals, you could also try heliotrope or stock.

Another suggestion if the area has enough sunlight and air flow is the rose called "Mister Lincoln". They really smell great all season but they require a little more work. You could also try "Zephirine Drouhin". It doesn't bloom all season but it's almost thornless and will take a little shade.

You could also plant some fragrant lilies like the OT "Silk Road". When ours is blooming, you can smell it all over the yard. I ordered some more this year from here:
http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/orienpet_1.html
She's a very nice woman to deal with.
Casablanca lily has a nice scent too and is much cheaper to buy. I don't think it's as strong as the Silk Roads though. I just bought some more for my yard from here:
http://www.perennialnursery.com/catalog/home.php?cat=40

If part of the area is shaded and wet, you could try some Clethras. The cultivars come in various sizes and they have a nice late summer bloom with a wonderful, sweet smell that travels well. This page tells about different cultivars:
http://members.tripod.com/~Hatch_L/clet0219.html
I have 'Sixteen Candles', 'Hummingbird', 'Sherry Sue', and 'September Beauty'.

If you have the room, you could try a Lilac, Mockorange or a Viburnum such as Korean Spice or Juddii but they would only bloom in the spring.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

MMMmmm...forgot about Stock...that's a great one!!! Going to check out those lilies now :)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Velnita

thank you very much!

If you have acidic soil, you might also try this Gardenia:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/151232/
You may have to mulch it but the smell of Gardenia is heavenly.

If you have the room, you could try mint, lily-of-the-valley or honeysuckle. These can get invasive though. I wish I could have them but I can't take the risk of them taking over my small yard *pouts*

Hyacinths are my favorite scent in the springtime. But they need to be dry in the summer and don't always come back reliably. I still love them.

For a climbing plant, there's Sweet Autumn clematis. It smells wonderful but you'll want to watch to make sure it doesn't become invasive. Butterflies like it and it flowers late which is nice.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

We are bringing in 3 yeards of top soil to build up the playground.. My hubby has a shed back there and we have fire wood. I kind of can do what I want with it...We I am going to put in a walkway to the shed and plant things all along it. I want the backyard, which is small to be more of a "pretty" play area. Where the girls can play with their sandbox and swingset and mommy can play with the plants.

does that make sense? I am lucky because I have a lot next to me that there is nothing on and we can use it as long as we mow the grass. That is where I have all the veggies and stuff.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Is it Wallflowers that have a really strong scent? I planted some orange ones once in California and they really were extremely fragrant. A few of those might knock out the poo smells and be easy to care for.

June

I'd like to try wall flowers.

Last year I had Sweet William and they smelled nice but I had to be close to smell them.

Another plant on my "want list" is this little gem that is supposed to have a great fragrance and likes shade:
http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/771/index.htm

Last year I planted various Calycanthus (Michael Lindsey, Venus, and Athens) and Fragrant Abelia (Abelia Mosanensis). The Abelia had very nice autumn colors. They haven't bloomed yet so I don't know about how strong their fragrances are. Hopefully this year...

I haven't had much luck with Daphnes. They pass away. I have one left that is a February Daphne. I don't know how long it'll make it. They smell nice but they just don't seem to like me much.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

A good late winter bloomer is Daphne Odora. Smells AWESOME!!!! Just likes shade.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

For annuals, how about Reseda odorata (It's also called Migonette.) or Sweet Alyssum? You can get both from Select Seeds. Mignonette's flowers aren't much to look at, but the fragrance is lovely. Another thing I would try are bulbs, like the tanzetta, and poeticus daffodils. They are hardy and as long as they get enough sunshine they will increase and you won't have to plant them year after year like annuals. If you have room for a medium shrub, the mockorange "snowbelle" has a nice fragrance, doesn't get too big, and the blooms last longer than the regular mockoranges. ( at least they do in my yard- they last about 6 weeks) Between the bulbs and the mockorange you'll have some fragrance until the annuals you plant have a chance to bloom. That's all that comes to mind right now, if I think up some more I'll repost.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008 1:32 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Jenn - just an FYI since Velnita mentioned it....both Chuck Hayes and Shooting Star have made it through their first winter here - they both look great!!! Kleim's Hardy is another hardy one.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Chantell......

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

I am sorry about your neighbor. I have kennels, and I would die if mine smelled. It seems like people with numerous dogs go one of two ways: either they get neurotically clean, or they let it turn into filth.

How about Pink Jasmine? It's got a pretty strong scent.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, Jenn,
What a nightmare!! To live next door to an odor... I was wondering what kind of fence? If it's a chain link or split rail, you could cover it with something to cut out the air flow into your area. I saw a Pelican vine plant which is supposed to be fragrant and blooms all summer. It would cover the fence in no time, like morning glories. The flower is large and intriguing. Or you could plant tall screening evergreen shrubs like willow or Leyland Cypress or wax myrtles to make a "wall" between you and the kennels. Also, Eleaegnus, I think is a good wind-breaker and fragrant.

The other choices above all sound good. But on gardenias, I have Kleim's Hardy shrubs and it only flowers in May. The scent isn't that potent and intoxicating as "August Beauty" and other gardenias that are hardy further south of here. I haven't seen the ones that Chantell listed--I must have one of them if they made it through this winter!! Good luck!

So sorry you have a situation like that. If it was me I would go for a thick hedge to filter out that pong. It would also drink up excess water run off. What about a fragrant Murraya hedge ...it is the biggest selling plant in Australia as it is used by Factories ...malls and homes ...the fragrance is of orange blossom, evergreen and pretty fast growing. You could even put a lattice up behing the hedge and grow some quick growing creeper or vine for more instant coverage that would give you 2 layers of greenery ...I think some buffer is as important as a fragrance because poo mixed with purfume can be awfully icky ...Lets hope the poor pups sell very quickly so they can find a good home, it is outrageous that people can treat animals and people that way ...good luck
chrissy

Thumbnail by
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately I don't think it'll be hardy in zone 7...Plant Files lists it as only hardy to zone 9b, so it would be a really long shot, and it doesn't grow fast enough to make a good annual. But if it could be planted in pots and brought in for the winter it could be an option.

Sorry I didn't realize that ...I am unfamiliar with cooler climate things,
can you grow a thick blanket of honeysuckle on a trellis ?this one smells wonderful.

Thumbnail by
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

We are working on digging it up.. Off to court I go again.. UGH so much time to spend on something so little as cleaning up.... Oh well... I am making a list of flowers and it is going to be one heck of a flower bed!

Dahlonega, GA

how about flies, that's a health hazard.smells won't make you too sick (just the thought) but flies and rats in the dog food will. the health dept can do something about those issues .june has the right idea, put it all together. to me,the oder would be like perfume mixed with body odor,two smells instead of one . good luck sally

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You are nicer than I am! I would put up another fence about 3 feet away and 10ft. tall.....................and then use whatever you have to in that 3 feet of space to kill germs and odors..............you are entitled to enjoy your yard......

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Jenn,

I'm dealing with a similar issue with a rental property next door and 1 dog. I can't imagine the odor you're dealing with! The landlord could care less. I talked to the Health Dept. who referred me to City Code and the Mayor's Office. The Health Dept. did have the Humane Officer (who wouldn't return my calls) go over there and it's been a little better. The heat of the summer will tell all. Some of the plants that we have that have stronger fragrances are lilies (especially the Regal Lilies), old fashioned petunias, honeysuckle, some peonies, some irises, sweet alyssum, jasmine, old fashioned sweet peas, mock orange bushes, butterfly bushes. I do order night blooming jasmine plants every year and put out in big pots. It's not hardy here and I don't have a place in the house to overwinter it. It grows fast and has a strong fragrance at night in late summer here. I hope you have luck solving your problem. We'll probably end up having to put up a privacy fence, but that might not do much for the smell.

Denise

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahh Jenn...I'm sorry this is continuing...was hoping maybe it had got better for you. FYI the Nicotianta seeds I sent you - self seeded here - already have foot tall plants. So if you've not planted them...go ahead and lightly sow them some where - that they'll get heat and sun.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I hate that you're having this problem! Maybe you could check out http://www.fragrantpathseeds.com/
Here is their GW page:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/141/

The majority of the seeds are fragrant and they have all sorts of things from annuals to vines and shrubs. I'd wanted the Queen Anne's Pocket Melon--non edible.

Oriental lilies are very fragrant in late summer--the dog days of summer (hey, a pun!). For annuals Sweet Alyssum if a nice fragrant plant--sort of smells like honey and fresh hay. If you shear off the spent flowers it will keep flowering. You could plant that around the yard or place containers with it around the yard.

Hope you find something that works:)

Fredericksburg, VA

I can't imagine anything that will entirely mask that smell.

Others have already given such great suggestions... here are a few more. Perhaps Mock Orange or Lilac. I love the idea of planting evergreen frangrant trees such as a variety of pine, cedar, ect.

For annuals, plant moonflower, flowering tobacco - Several Nicotiana alata grandiflora are blooming in our garden right now and smell wonderful in the afternoon, evening and morning: http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=723&account=501941902

We have an american holly that smells wonderful throughout May.

If you are not particular about your lawn, you could plant mint and let it spread throughout your lawn. Each time the grass is cut, or you walk/play, it will release a wonderful fragrance. I can tell you we have mint that has crept throughout out lawn and it is almost a pleasure to mow the lawn now. :-)

Additionally, especially as it gets warmer, putting down a layer of cedar chips along the fence line or some sort of cedar mulching would absorb some of the smell. Or pine bedding/mulch may give some added help in the same way. I think back to the days when I had pets and would use (smell on a much smaller scale, of course) cedar chip bedding so perhaps it would help absorb some of the smell if put down in large scale.

This may also sound strange, but you may consider throwing your lemon, orange and grapefruit peels outside along the fence line as well.

I am just brainstorming here, so these suggestions may or may not work, but are worth a try.

I can't imagine what it is like in our hot humid summers. Let us know what works! :-)

This message was edited May 11, 2008 9:18 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.