Anyone using internet phone service?

Amherst, NH

Does anyone have any experience using an internet telephone service?
TheBostonChannel.com(Ch5) ran a story about it on their news broadcast
last week and didn't have any real negatives to report except that you might need to change your phone number, and might not be able to call 911. The name of the service they investigated was MajicJack.com and the initial price was $40 for the first year and $20 a year thereafter. You
would eliminate all the add-on fees and taxes that you usually pay with a conventional phone contract with Verizon, etc. My only question is can it be used with a DSL connection? If anyone has used this type of product it
would be greatly appreciated if you would share your opinion of it with the rest of the class.

North Augusta, ON

Is that kinda like the ones yahoo and MSN offer for free?

If so, then all of the people you call would have to have it too, no?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I've used it for years. First with Vonage and now with my cable company. Works great. Did not have to change my number. I have the 'triple play' with them - cable, internet and tv. You should look into that. It might be worthwhile and cable is faster than dsl in general.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have cable phone with Time Warner. No difference at all for me.

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

I've had it for about 6 months with my cable company. Didn't have to change the number -- no problems.

Liane

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have had the internet phone with the package for the TV & computer through my cable company... for over 3 years now... the only down side I have found that if the power goes out... no phone... but I figured that's what our cell phones are for... I can call 911 with no problem the town calls us every year to test the name and number on the caller id

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

I have the same thing where I get cable internet and phone and I love it I have had it for years now so it seems. I think I have had it for like about 4 years and not once have I had any problems...

James

I have the triple play like Victor. Cable, phone and TV. In 93 when I first got online (can't remember with whom) but I remember the phone bill................$$$$$$$$$$$

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

What happens if your computer crashes - no phone service?

Computer has nothing to do with it - only the cable service. If you lose cable or power, no phone. You need a cell for backup.

What if you use Vonage which is a voice over IP?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We also went with the triple play, no change of phone number and no problems.

They're both voice over IP. In the case of Vonage, same thing since it uses the cable (or dsl).

If Vonage uses dsl - then no computer = no phone?

If your dsl service craps out, then yes - no computer and no phone.

If my electric goes out = no phone, computer or lights = YIKES.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it freaked me out knowing there was nothing if the power went out... but then the cell is still there... no worries

There's always the old standby - two cups and a string!!

A very long string.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Everyone should check out ww.skype.com.
I use this for work and call all around the world. And it is free if used via a PC or you can call direct to phones as well for a small fee per minute.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.