composting eucalyptus leaves

Tucson, AZ

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if eucalyptus leaves are OK for composting or a lasagne bed?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Good question ... there's been some question as to whether or not eucalyptus are allelopaths or not (whether or not they exude a substance that interrupts the growth cycle of other plants, if you're not familiar...). The final word I got was from a tree expert in Phx (aztreelvr, if you see her, grab her!) and she said they weren't. So me, I'd use them.

If you're still nervous about it, you might want to start another pile (if you have the room or motivation) with them in it, or use them in a mulch mixture that is placed on top of the ground.

HTH!

Tucson, AZ

thanks, PC.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am waiting for someone else to tell me the answer. I have been lurking. They break down so slow also. No answer from me.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Okay, Soferdig, I'm not gonna take that personally....

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know if this helps, but I use eucalyptus mulch in my flower beds. I've stopped using cypress so they'll stop cutting them down. The eucalyptus is farm-raised. I like the eucalyptus because it holds up better and lasts longer. It certainly can't harm other plants because the weeds still manage to get through (sigh). I say go for it.

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.